Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 11:22 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Oh, bite me people.!

The 8' heat strip is 7' of element heating on 220v.

The oil filled finned radiator is MAYBE 1.5' foot of heating element @ 110v.

HONESTLY which do you THINK is going to cost less to operate?????
Obviously the smaller one. But it's also not going to heat the same amount of space, so your point is moot in spite of your "bite me" comment and "smack face" emoji.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 12:41 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
When I mention that all all sources of electric heat are 100% efficient I sometimes get people ranting at me like it's not true who don't understand why that's the case.

Just because it's 100% efficient that doesn't make it better or cheaper, in fact it's fairly expensive compared to natural gas which is by far the least expensive way to heat.

Any way that uses electricity to heat something, such as hot water, oil heaters, or whatever, is not going to be more efficient than a baseboard or space heater, period. If you can keep the oil heater close to where you sit or sleep so that the radiant heat warms you up so you can keep the rest of the room cooler, then you would save money. Heat from a space heater will rise right to the ceiling fast because it comes out so warm.

Old 04-17-2020, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,001 times
Wow this is literally crazy.

TLDR;
This is and was testable, while exact conditions can vary depending on the materials used and maintenance of equipment. ELECTRIC Baseboard heaters ON AVERAGE are extremely more expensive than ELECTRIC CERAMIC OIL-FILLED RADIANT space heaters. It’s not even close enough to justify some of the responses on here.
—

Many people are pointing to the perfect efficiency of baseboard heaters which applies to the rCONVERSION of electricity to heat.

This does NOT address entirety of the actual requirement of the issue raised by the OP.

It’s actually simple to test, if you have smart sensors, smart meter reporting and smart outlets.

Using 2 ceramic radiant heaters vs my 7’ electric baseboard to heat 140sq ft

(which why we do not discuss this in terms of cubic ft, since you know it’s a 3-dimensional space with volume not just area... and with different ceiling heights the same are rooms have different volumes of space to heat... I know -thermostat placement- but could be placed at a range of heights, so still different volumes, anyway...)

Long/Short:
Ceramic heaters on avg. consumed 1/4 the amount of kwh to maintain the same 67 degree temp compared to the baseboard.

Non-scientific methodology:
Samsung SmartThings was used to manage and monitor everything.

4-multipurpose sensors were used, 1 in each corner of the room.
Baseboard and ceramic heater thermostats were managed by SmartThings in order to begin heating at 65dgs and stop at 69dgs to maintain 67dgs as measured by all 4 sensors.

Each type of heater was ran for 45 days consecutively in order to achieve at least 30 days of directly comparable weather.
Electricity cost was set to fixed rate to avoid pricing fluctuations.
Period was Nov. 2018 - Feb. 2019 in Chicago on the lakefront.

The power consumption data alone told the story but since there are additional costs besides per kwh pricing, I wanted to see the total bill impact.

Old 04-17-2020, 08:34 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Maybe try a ceramic-based PTC.......when the resistive-element gets, the electrical-resistance goes up a lot, reducing power usage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living