Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 08:47 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,645,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
Well Goodwill may not be non-profit, but it does employ people who are unemployable elsewhere. I have a good friend who has multiple learning disabilities and is ADD also and he has lost job after job, but Goodwill works with him and he can stay employed and earn a paycheck. I give my donations to them.
I agree - I don't shop at Goodwill to donate. I shop to extend my budget for clothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 08:32 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
Well Goodwill may not be non-profit, but it does employ people who are unemployable elsewhere. I have a good friend who has multiple learning disabilities and is ADD also and he has lost job after job, but Goodwill works with him and he can stay employed and earn a paycheck. I give my donations to them.

Note: I donate to all non-profits that sell their goods, the 100% profits in turn support the homeless and the less fortunate, including folks like your good friend who works at Goodwill. But I will NOT donate to Goodwill. Rescue missions are where these people live and are fed and clothed. Very important to donate to homeless US Veterans in similar situations. Yes, this country has so many homeless Veterans suffering from their service, PTSD, ADD, and a myriad of health problems and so forth.

When my husband passed, we gave all of his quality clothes and shoes (many brand new, not even worn) to the Veterans Home. We kept his jewelry and ties and I made a memorial quilt from them.

Old 10-27-2016, 03:23 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,925,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post

So are you guys as guilty as I am? I feel really foolish sinking thousands in my wardrobe.
Thousands? I didn't get that from your post (maybe I missed it), but yeah that is quite a lot for me. But that's me and you're you of course. Some people probably think I'm foolish for spending thousands a year on vacations (well, I used to but have not for the past two years. Would like to start again next year, though not as much as when I lived out west).

I haven't bought a pair of shoes for about two years now, and the last time I did I needed them for a job interview. Before that was probably another year or two (good winter dress boots). The shoes I normally wear like for work and stuff I've had for about 8 years now, and I think they're starting to come apart at the soles. I do have another pair so I should be getting those out soon and hope to get another 7 to 8 years out of them! Once they're gone I'll be lost because I don't think they have them any more and they were such an awesome, comfortable shoe (and actually looked nice too). When I recently went shoe shopping in hopes to find something similar all I could find were these ugly multi-coloured shoes that looked so bad. Oh well. I can hope that things will improve in the next several years, but I'm way too pessimistic for that outlook!

For clothes... I finally got a new set of shirts for work since a few of the ones I had had holes in them and were really thinning out. That was like 2 months ago, and the last set I bought before that was last November. I probably spend maybe like $300 a year on clothes. However, my work pants have a hole in the upper pocket which makes carrying my chapstick annoying at times (because it will fall down my leg and I'm so scared I'll lose it at work). So, it looks like I'll have to get a new pair of them if my attempt to stitch them up fails (or never materializes because I really don't know how to sew that well).

I actually realized now that I did buy a pair of shoes last year for my wedding, to go with my dress: little beige slippers from walmart for about like $15. That I'll just be wearing once for my wedding ceremony (which is next week!--wedding got delayed a year) and then I'll be giving them away most likely.

Old 10-27-2016, 07:46 AM

14,466 posts, read 20,644,378 times
Men's pants from Ebay. The size required is not common in the stores not to mention the prices.
Ebay has the sizes needed. When someone moves up or down to another size and they wish to sell the ones that do not fit, they are eager to sell = Ebay.

Old 10-27-2016, 05:18 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
You may not know this, or care to, but Goodwill is NOT a non-profit business/stores. .

That is factually incorrect. Under the tax code, Goodwill is a 501 (c) 3 organization under the IRS code which defines exempt organizations. Goodwill is classifies as a public charity.

Whether you like their compensation policies does not determine whether they are a non-profit.

=====================================

To get back on topic, $100 max per year for myself.

Generally, that is $30 for two pairs of shoes, $25 for two belts, and $45 for 4-5 pairs of shorts.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:18 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
I forgot my dress shirt at the office today so went to the thrift shop at lunch and bought two for $10. Rarely pay over $20 a pair of shoes. Annually, about $200, I guess.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:33 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Typically spend less than $200 on clothes/shoes per year. I generally buy "cheaper" goods/don't have a problem shopping second-hand.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:14 PM

25,442 posts, read 9,800,380 times
Between DH and me, probably less than $150 for the year, including shoes, clothes and underwear. I buy all our clothes and shoes at thrift stores when I can. Underwear is new though, lol.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:30 PM

99 posts, read 102,339 times
I try to make every new pair last at least a year, with the exception of work shoes. I work in restaurants and I'm on my second pair of nonslip shoes since February.

I bought converse and nike on sale in February and so far they are fine, and I bought vans on sale in August and those are okay-ish. Total for those 3 pairs were 110$ or so. My work shoes are $30-60 a pair. I haven't bought dress shoes in over 2 years and those were about $70.

I've been wanting new running type shoes since the nike are feeling different and the vans are a little uncomfortable, but I'm trying to make it a year per pair of shoes. Idk something I kept in my mind since I was a child was that to keep an item for at least a year to make it worthwhile.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:14 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times
I don't know what I spend on myself. This year it hasn't been much. I've stayed out of the stores. My daughter finds cute things at the thrift stores, but she's a small size and loves funky. We get the other clothes at other stores. We find good deals on name brand in the off season. You can get name brand which is important to the teen crowd at better than WalMart prices. The clothes usually hold up too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living