Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 12:24 AM

3,125 posts, read 2,996,554 times

Advertisements

I buy my solid-colored layering camis and T-shirts (short-sleeve and long-sleeve scoop necks and V-necks) from Walmart for $2-$3 a piece. I love the fit when it's the NoBoundaries/NB/NOBO brand. I don't buy Faded Glory...their stuff tends to be too "short and wide" for my body.

I also buy my workout clothes from Walmart (the Danskin line is great!), as well as my "lounging" clothes, socks and (sometimes) underwear.

I like to buy my jeans, dressier tops, etc. from Maurices. When there is a clearance, I snag lots of stuff for cheap. Sometimes shirts and sweaters are more like $30-$40 each, though.

Bras come from Victoria's Secret. Almost always. $50-$70
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 07:20 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,259,385 times
I probably spend more per item than most who frequent the frugal forum, but I live with a very limited wardrobe. I've been wearing the same pair of Danskos for six years, and they still look great!

Old 10-31-2016, 11:58 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,414,852 times
Hahaha.... since I'm the only one I have to answer to, it's a lot, but I'm not telling !

Old 10-31-2016, 09:56 PM

21,611 posts, read 24,753,085 times
I usually go for fairly high priced clothes and don't buy a lot of them. I'll buy a pair of Levi's maybe every two years. That gives me one pair of jeans that looks presentable and another two or three in varying states of grunge for working in the yard, wrenching on cars, etc. I got tempted by some $12 Walmart Wranglers once. They weren't really nice but I needed some work jeans and figured what the heck. Two months later I bought another pair of Levi's and retired my current Levis to work jean status prematurely. Likewise, my normal sneakers did cost over $100 but they've been on dozens of hiking trips and beat to death for years. The sole is completely worn down so they're not really good for hiking any longer as there's no traction left. Likewise with dress slacks. I've tried the $40-50 pants and within a few months I'm back in the store buying some $125 to $200 ones. I can either spend $40-50 for something that will last a few months or $125 for something that doesn't look much better but lasts several years. I find something that's good quality and stick to it. Price, as in your Jordans, isn't always indicative of quality. When I was younger and dumb and impressed with trendy brands, I spent money on low quality sneakers with the appropriate brand and some denim-head approved overpriced Jeans.

Old 11-12-2016, 11:20 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,316,410 times
My wife and I have always been cheap skates. Despite being a die hard 49ers fan since the 80s, I was never ever going to pay good money for jerseys. That's a lot of money for me. That's what I pay for my suits. Never bought expense shoes either. Most of my shoes where from $10-20 range most of my youth. Now, I buy between the $50-$100 range dress shoes because they do last longer.

Most of my clothes I bought in my youth came from Mervyn's, Kmart, Walmart, Target, and Ross. Now, I just buy them at thrift stores. Buying new dress shirts and new dress pants that costs $30-$60 and I can get it under $10 is a steal. Of course, it doesn't occur often but when it does, it's a bargain.

The one thing that I do spend a lot of money on is home theater. Don't ever get into this hobby if don't have too. Over $10K and counting. I part of me wish I never got into this hobby.

I simply avoid brand names when it comes to clothing. The only brand name that I don't avoid is electronics.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:54 PM

409 posts, read 481,088 times
I think at most we're spending $200/year each. We live in Florida, so we don't need lots of things you would need in a cold climate, so that helps keep our spending down.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:46 PM

193 posts, read 181,705 times
I spend almost nothing. I always get clothes for xmas and bdays. I will say im not very stylish. I wear jeans and tshirts most of the time.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:16 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,469,853 times
I shop at one thrift store for almost all of my clothes.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:50 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,243,480 times
clothing is the one area where i feel like i spend too much. i have a hard time finding flattering items so i buy stuff and then i wear it once or twice, then decide i don't really like it and then it sits in my closet. which leads to a never ending cycle of buying new things. in addition to that i'm awful at putting outfits together.

i've spent about $1,100 on clothes this year - this includes work clothes (business casual), regular clothes, new sneakers, gym clothes.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:38 PM

10,004 posts, read 7,141,761 times
Probably in the neighborhood of 5-600 a year, mostly to replace worn out clothes & shoes. Decent shoes are bad... They will cost 150 easy, but I wear them till they fall apart.

More if I have some kind of event, ie: new job or wedding where I need a new suit. That'll double it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living