Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 12:18 PM

190 posts, read 246,802 times

Advertisements

Go in with a list, so there is no impulse buying. You can do that at Walmart and literally everywhere. That way you buy what you literally need and not on anything you dont, or have an impulse buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 11:50 AM

5,316 posts, read 3,203,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Savins Catcher by itself is not too involved, but the problem is it isn't catching like it used to. They must have changed the way it operates.
Yeah...about a year ago they dropped drug stores from their comparisons, which is where most of my "savings" came from.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:01 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,547,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Yeah...about a year ago they dropped drug stores from their comparisons, which is where most of my "savings" came from.
Hm. Well, they must have also dropped Aldi's because I used to get a lot of savings from their incredible produce sales.

Too bad. It was never a huge amount, but it was worth the time to enter the TC number in on-line or scan with a phone.

I think it's stupid on their part - it was a draw to some people to shop there.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Best way to be frugal with Walmart is to avoid walking in through their doors.

I totally disagree with you. While I am not a huge Walmart shopper, they do have lower prices on most staples and they honor sales prices from other stores. I have seen strawberries at Aldi's for discount $1.29 quart, Walmart will match. It just takes knowing your prices and knowing what not to buy. Too many people judge WalMart without really knowing much about the store.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The way to save money is to know which things are cheaper and which are not.

Then go in with a list and do not do any impulse buying. I often see Walmart shoppers with carts full of stuff that they couldn't possibly need. But they saw it and thought maybe they wanted it, so they bought it.

Which happens to be the way to save money shopping at any other store.
this is completely correct. We all need to be smart shoppers, regardless what store you prefer to use.

Old 03-24-2017, 06:24 AM

24,467 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I totally disagree with you. While I am not a huge Walmart shopper, they do have lower prices on most staples and they honor sales prices from other stores. I have seen strawberries at Aldi's for discount $1.29 quart, Walmart will match. It just takes knowing your prices and knowing what not to buy. Too many people judge WalMart without really knowing much about the store.

Plus WM's shelves reflect the purchasing of local customers. Small Town Texas offered everything from a whole isle devoted to pasta to a wider assortment of wine and beer then World Market. Here my question where to find orzo brought blank stares.

I do not care for Aldi. So I price match grown in China for local produce at WM.

Old 03-24-2017, 06:44 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
There are no Aldis in my state.

I checked the Aldis locator it says there is on 2 states away, roughly 198 miles from me.

I am not familiar with shopping in an Aldis.

I am very familiar with Walmart. We have four Walmarts within a 40 mile radius.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:59 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Plus WM's shelves reflect the purchasing of local customers. Small Town Texas offered everything from a whole isle devoted to pasta to a wider assortment of wine and beer then World Market. Here my question where to find orzo brought blank stares.

I do not care for Aldi. So I price match grown in China for local produce at WM.

Nearly all of the imported food at an Aldi store comes from the European Community with the bulk of it from Germany. It is of much higher quality than the "Great Value" brand. Of course, the Great Value brand is about the lowest you can go in quality.

Produce at Walmart? It is mediocre quality at about 30% price premium to Kroger's.

I am not going to go to a Walmart store and spend ten minutes playing "price match" with an unfriendly cashier while ten people are behind me in line. In the old days, Walmart used to send "secret shoppers" to all of their competitors to check that their prices were actually lower than the competition. Now I guess that they ask their customers to do all of the work.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:44 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,304,389 times
I shop at Walmart all the time. I shop with a list, and also use coupons. I also use Savings Catcher, and get quite a bit back. The reason for this, is because not only do I scan my receipt, other shoppers throw them on the ground. So I pick them up and scan them, too.

I've gotten a vacuum cleaner for 50% off, a free printer, two free blazers, and many other items literally for free. I just let the savings collect until I need it for some reason, then transfer it to an e-gift card to use

Old 03-24-2017, 11:48 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
... Produce at Walmart? It is mediocre quality at about 30% price premium to Kroger's.
We prefer buying local farm produce whenever possible.

We settled in a rural part of New England where there is enough local food that nobody 'needs' to buy imported food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living