Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 05:46 AM

14,612 posts, read 17,419,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I personally wouldn't keep Netflix year round because it goes into kind of a lull once you've watched what you want to and have to wait for new things to be added.
None of these services involve a commitment for more than a month, so you can switch to ACORN TV and binge watch British TV, and to Amazon Prime for one month to catch up on Mozart in the Jungle to Netflix.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:59 AM

21,108 posts, read 13,486,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
None of these services involve a commitment for more than a month, so you can switch to ACORN TV and binge watch British TV, and to Amazon Prime for one month to catch up on Mozart in the Jungle to Netflix.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:22 AM

2,574 posts, read 4,627,514 times
Default Boredatwork

You folks giving out this sesame street advice on the best alternative. Nobody mentioning a jail broke firestick, a jail broke roku or even better yet cable without paying for it. These cable companies are good and dont need another penny from me.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:35 AM

37,328 posts, read 61,154,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
You folks giving out this sesame street advice on the best alternative. Nobody mentioning a jail broke firestick, a jail broke roku or even better yet cable without paying for it. These cable companies are good and dont need another penny from me.
I think you are suggesting illegal activity.

Besides some of us live in towns without cable companies.

Old 03-28-2017, 03:09 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,003,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I agree about Netflix. That's why I cancelled. It didn't seem prudent to keep it when I wasn't watching. Never subscribed to Hulu. Not sure why because it seems like a good source for TV viewing.

DVR capabilities would be nice but there's really nothing much that watch that I can't watch while it's being aired. I don't know if it's my age or what but even some of the commercials are pretty funny. I may be the only person left on planet earth that likes them. I do agree with you, though. Streaming full without commercials is really nice.

Until I started looking around for alternative viewing, I didn't realize that Youtube has movies available for purchase. Cheapo that I am, I won't buy them. Instead, I root around the site until I find movies that I like and then subscribe to the member who posts them.

It's actually kind of fun to seek and find new ways to view various TV shows and movies. I have a couple of secret places where I can watch Australian TV (for Wentworth).
I used to have Hulu without the commercials and after I cancelled they kept sending me the $5.99 special to sign back up. Then my Amex had a special offer of a $25 statement credit after spending $25 on Hulu. I signed back up for the $5.99 special and start to watch an episode of AbFab. Omg, the commercials were so annoying and not paced like normal commercials are on regular tv. It'd break in the middle of the scene. It was the worst. I'd never get it again unless I get the commercial free version.

Old 03-28-2017, 03:14 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,003,485 times
Quote:
It's probably easier to just get the device on sale and share a password with a friend or family member. I'm ok with spending $50-100 on a main device and some antennas. I just don't feel like spending $100+ every month.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Kodi seems to be the 'in' thing right now.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:35 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,378,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
You can't join Amazon Prime for one month. It's the whole year or nothin'. Unless you mean if you already have Amazon Prime - then you can sign up for the premium channels - which is an additional fee - for just one month.

I just found Amazon Prime to not be such a great deal overall. Their 2-day shipping started saying - may be delayed for 4-5 days - then you get 2 day free shipping lol. And the prices are better at Walmart or other stores where I can order online and have shipped to store.

Anyway, I digress. But, for people who don't know, you can't get Amazon Prime for just one month. You get locked in for a year, and have to pay the full year membership at once, which is around $100.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:53 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,241,150 times
I find it amusing that the suggestion of "no TV" as a cheaper alternative to cable TV went flying out into the ether as if I had written it in Linear B or something.

Hey y'all, put the remote down and step away from the tube. There's an entire world out there that doesn't fit on even the biggest of big screen TVs.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
You can't join Amazon Prime for one month. It's the whole year or nothin'. Unless you mean if you already have Amazon Prime - then you can sign up for the premium channels - which is an additional fee - for just one month.

I just found Amazon Prime to not be such a great deal overall. Their 2-day shipping started saying - may be delayed for 4-5 days - then you get 2 day free shipping lol. And the prices are better at Walmart or other stores where I can order online and have shipped to store.

Anyway, I digress. But, for people who don't know, you can't get Amazon Prime for just one month. You get locked in for a year, and have to pay the full year membership at once, which is around $100.
They offer it monthly now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living