Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 12:42 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,635,778 times

Advertisements

BATTERIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THEY don't last that long, but you can get so many of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 01:09 AM

844 posts, read 1,425,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
It's a target of opportunity store. If I'm in that shopping center, I'll stop by and check out the food.

I keep a running account in my head so I know when the prices are below what I get at HEB and when they are not. Sometimes, I make out like a bandit, sometimes not.

One thing I will note is that with canned goods, I am very food cautious. If I open up some canned mackerel and there is a slight hiss, down the drain it goes. It was probably just the breaking of the seal but I don't take the chance.

As that those at Dollar Tree are from China, I feel less of a loss and more cautious than say the Chicken of the Sea I get from HEB or Wally World.

You get what you pay for.

Yea I don't buy FOOD from dollar tree 95% of the time...other then mushrooms, maybe bread, and candy like Raisin nuts or something. Meats are a no no

Old 05-21-2017, 01:16 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,290,191 times
Armorall for my car. Cheapest place.

Old 05-21-2017, 05:57 AM

844 posts, read 1,425,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Armorall for my car. Cheapest place.
The interior wipes? Gotta be sure to keep the lid closed on those things, because they will dry out fast on you. I had 2 whole containers dry out on me.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:41 AM

1,621 posts, read 1,336,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
BATTERIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THEY don't last that long, but you can get so many of them.
Oh, yeah! I needed the little batteries for a laser pointer. Big Lots didn't have them, so I went to Target and paid $7.00 (!!!) for 3. Then I saw them in Dollar Tree, 4 for $1.00 And at the check-out were laser pointers with batteries if you needed a new pointer.

And readers (reading glasses). They are the cheapest around and perfectly serviceable, although maybe not the most fashionable. I have several in different strengths scattered around the house and in the car so there's a pair nearby if I need them

Old 05-21-2017, 07:01 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,739,577 times
I buy little snack bags of freeze-dried fruit there. 99% of the food they have is stuff I can't eat, and I don't really trust the rest of their food. If something isn't labeled correctly and I eat the wrong thing, I will end up in the hospital.

I also learned the hard way not to buy measuring spoons there. They're not accurate.

My daughter likes the little battery-operated LED light strings and some of their tiny gardening accessories for her doll houses.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:12 AM

13,961 posts, read 8,832,436 times
Gotta second the person who recommended LA's Totally Awesome degreaser/all-purpose cleaner. That stuff is absolutely the best all-around cleaner I've ever used. I note that the bottle recommends you dilute it for most uses, but on countertops, grills, walls and the like, I just spray it on full strength.

I'll buy foam plates for large parties there; they're sturdy enough and those 300 packs are a great deal.

Betty Crocker storage containers are great, and they perform as well as the similar-looking Rubbermaid ones.

I also buy glass cleaner, daily shower cleaner, and one-liter containers of Jumex nectars there (that brand is made in Mexico and generally not sold in that size in the international-foods sections of the supermarkets I shop).

I won't buy most food products there, but I have gotten coupons in the mail on occasion for some food products I would buy if I were in the vicinity of the store and had them on me.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:33 AM

23,530 posts, read 69,959,736 times
"Gotta second the person who recommended LA's Totally Awesome degreaser/all-purpose cleaner. " I'll third that. For most jobs it is my go-to degreaser. I have some much stronger degreaser left from when I was a jobber, but it is usually overkill.

Facial tissues - last time I looked in walfart at the prices I went "Nope. Hitting DT to stock up."
My wife used to have to use the non-pseu decongestant all the time. We saved hundred of dollars on that alone. There were two weak batches, but the ID code let me avoid those. Some stuff in that health aisle is actually good.

The tall candles in glass are about a third of the price elsewhere.

Candy in the movie size packaging. (BTW, 10 seconds in a microwave will freshen Mike & Ike if they are hard)

Everyday glassware. No worrying about broken drinking glasses on their stock sizes.

Bad for ya snack foods like colored corn chips.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:55 AM

18,152 posts, read 25,693,665 times
I only spend $7 to $10 a week, not a huge amount. But one item I go for is their hardback book selection. I have seen an interesting cross section of fiction, non fiction, biographies, etc. No one stores selection is the same either. I do a little traveling and I've gotten some great deals on books at various out of town Dollar Trees.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:05 AM

127,937 posts, read 11,807,356 times
Oh I also buy the frozen asparagus, it makes a nice & very simple side dish. They also sometimes have Hormel pepperoni, which is handy for a pizza. I won't buy their meat but I will buy the Hormel meats. The cobbler box mix is pretty good too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living