Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 09:08 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,044,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
There is a new Dollar Tree that is just going up across from Walmart, 8 miles from me.
Do they normally build that close to Walmart ?
One of our local DT stores is right next to a Walmart, so it's easy for me to go in both.

I have been finding more and more things I can use in DT.
Cards 2/$1
I like the sourdough pretzel nuggets
2lbs of dry pinto beans
1lb bags of other dry beans
I didn't like the rice I got there
Sometimes they have Progresso soup cans
A big can of baked beans, they are good
Toothpaste
Shampoo
Shave cream
I got some good craft stuff in the hardware section: wire that I use for sculpture armatures, & sandpaper
The Awesome cleaning products
One time I found a big bottle of Brillo Dish Washing detergent and it was great but I have not seen it since.
A couple years ago I got a good gardening straw sunhat that I used all summer for science field work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 09:19 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,583 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Pears soap. It's a soap that looks and kind of smells like Neutrogena soap bars - kind of a clear amber soap bar - and I LOVE it! So nice.

I do have to say - Dollar Tree carries a LOT of merchandize that is there for a reason - because it's sub-par. I bought 25 water pistols for my son's 7th birthday party that appeared to be very nicely made, robust, hardy water guns. Then when the party started, it was REALLY CLEAR why they were at the dollar store! *clears throat* Once the boys began using the water guns, filling them up from the wading pool, they had to brace the guns on their hips and vigorously pump the guns several times to squirt the water at each other. I think we can all picture that. So anyway, Dollar Store caution.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:33 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
My area is lousy with Dollar Generals and I drive past three of them to get to DT. It's is my all-time favorite dollar store because things there really do cost a dollar (or less!). I buy light bulbs, cat nail clippers, cat toys, Mexican sodas, greeting cards, doormats, rice cakes, non-latex gloves, some craft supplies, candy, all kinds of fun things. I never leave empty-handed.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:43 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,274 times
Same as poster 3.

Dollar Tree for mainly gift wrapping supplies; at the beginning of the school year, pencils and the like, they really have a lot of neat learning resources at that time of year; always for postal mailers/Manila envelopes; tag board and trifold poster presentation boards. NEVER food.

Dollar General is my go to for cleaning supplies - only place I can find VIva Paper towels and that is the only brand I will use; trash bags, ditto. They have ones that open easily and don't need to be torn off a roll. Dog food, too.

Big lots for a few things such as card stock; page protectors; I liked it better when it was MacFrugals here. Or before they changed the floor plan and merchandise here...rarely go there now and it was my very favorite.

Now I recently started to use WalMart after all these years of NOT wanting to. I needed to get a steady supply of gas reimbursement gift cards for my car pool, so I just was there so often... Use it for holiday baked goods or other things for office celebrations, cupcakes, etc.

My favorite is Dollar General as it is the cleanest (at least my preferred location) and most organized.

Family dollar rarely now except for a few things for my students that I can only find there..

Old 05-21-2017, 09:54 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Something not mentioned yet is the jars of minced garlic. Great deal.

I know I could get as good or better prices if I bought in bulk somewhere else, but I like being able to buy a small quantity of something at a good price, like paper plates, garbage bags, sandwich and freezer bags. I buy a lot of the little Brillo type soaped stainless steel pads. I like their little square pink ones that don't have as much soap on them. They're just right.

Doggie poop bag rolls, too.

Run away from the frozen breaded mushrooms, though - gag! The canned mushrooms are great, though - agree with OP on those.

Also, pasta, rice-a-ronis, smaller amounts of sucralose. I also like the shelf-stable milk in a box. Like to keep a spare in the cupboard in case I run out of milk for coffee.

Also buy candles. Walmart has a lot of these things for same or even a little cheaper prices, but it's a way quicker in and out of the store from DT than WM.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:05 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Cloth/stuffed dog toys. The dogs gut them so fast, the price is right.

Also wrapping paper, tissue paper, gift bags.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:09 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Dollar Tree is nothing like a Dollar General or Family Dollar which are just discount retailers. Dollar Tree is indeed a true $1 store. I like Dollar Tree because they also carry a selection of brand named items (yeah some are watered down) and you don't have to buy a gazilion as many items are in smaller quantities over whats available at most regular stores.

Have you noticed the 2 for $1 greeting cards? Where can you find those little bottles of Lime-Away gel? Or, the stuff (weird as they are) in the crafts section or the piles of bulk party items! Sometimes I go just to rummage through and buy stuff I could use or may need because, heck it's only a dollar, and it's best to have the cheap backup versus spending a lot more when you suddenly need it.

If you go to Dollar Tree expecting a cheap Big Lots, you'll be disappointed. But if expecting a store full of whatever for only $1, you really won't be disappointing. Half the fun is finding things, buying it and figuring out what to do with it after you get home!

Just to add, Dollar Tree has an almost cult like following for people who throw themed parties based on Dollar Tree's party specials.

Last edited by Rabrrita; 05-21-2017 at 10:45 PM..

Old 05-21-2017, 10:23 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
I've found it good for paper products, centerpiece odds and ends and occasional cleaning products. It's definitely good for inexpensive seasonal decorations. Rubber gloves for finishing furniture. Little clay pots for starting plants.

I recently bought some dish washcloths that are sturdy and a good color. And we filled our gift bags for our anniversary party with some tasty and pretty wrapped candies.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:26 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,404,881 times
Just about everything.

Cooking utensils
Soda
Water
Aluminum cooking pans
Shower curtain liner
Cups
Snacks and candy
Lotion-their dermasil is the best I've tried. It comes in cocoa butter now! Even the facial lotion is good stuff.
Frozen meals-awesome when I worked close by one and didn't bring my lunch but wanted something real cheap.
Notebooks
Storage containers
Toilet paper, paper towels, paper plates-you don't get a lot, after all it's only a dollar
Qtips
Laundry detergent
Spices
Pizza crust
Meatballs
Canned goods
May have bought luncheon meat. Can't remember.
Cheese
Craft stuff
Plunger
Hair oil

I'm sure some other stuff I can't remember.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:38 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Both of the Dollar Tree stores in my area are in the same shopping center as Wal-Marts. I know of two in two different nearby towns that are standalone stores right by Wal-Mart. So very typical, I think.
I can add one more data point to this:

Cedarbrook Plaza shopping center on the Cheltenham Township side of the Philadelphia-Cheltenham (Montgomery County, PA) border also has a Walmart and a Dollar Tree.

I usually buy the liter boxes of nectar there because they're subject to a 1.5-cents-per-ounce wholesale tax on sweetened beverages within Philadelphia; most retailers have chosen to pass all of this tax on to the retail consumer.

But most of the rest of my Dollar Tree shopping is done at the Plaza at Chelten location, which is closer to me and easier to get to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living