Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 02:27 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
When we go vacation at a family cottage/cabin, with no dryer, I find it a pain. If I want to wear a certain outfit, I may have to wash it 2 or 3 days before I need it, so it will be dry in time. I also find looking at all the clothes hanging up, unsightly. But if you think you can deal with those issues, go for it. There is also no dishwasher at the cottage, & I am so happy to come home to my modern conveniences.
not to mention without using a dryer more things have to be ironed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 04:03 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,187,400 times
Have to tell you what I saw up the street a couple of weeks ago.
Person obviously prefers drying outside but didn't have a place to do so.
She did have a small tree which was "decorated" with hangers holding with her laundry!

Old 07-13-2017, 06:42 AM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
not to mention without using a dryer more things have to be ironed.
Iron? I have one around here somewhere.

Old 07-13-2017, 06:44 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,047,770 times
It has been raining for days here. Because I am retired, I have been able to keep up with the mowing by mowing between rainstorms. The humidity is incredible. The last 2 times I have mowed (with a push mower, which is what I use), my shirt and underwear have been soaked with sweat. Even my shorts were damp.

I have both a dryer and central A/C, so everything is fine. Without a dryer, the clothes would never dry. Without A/C, the towels and wash cloths would be growing mold.

Having my own washer and dryer is one of the small pleasures of life. 1988 vintage, and still working fine. It used to be so frustrating to put clothes into a dryer at a laundromat, and have it malfunction and get way too hot. The clothes would end up as a shrunken wrinkled mess.

Old 07-13-2017, 06:48 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,047,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Iron? I have one around here somewhere.
I have one too. It has a layer of polyester on it from trying to steam polyester clothes. I gave up on learning how to iron. Buying permanent press clothing and removing clothes from the dryer immediately when done goes a long way toward preventing wrinkles. Having my own washer and dryer that work consistently well is also a big help (See previous post).

Old 07-13-2017, 08:00 AM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I have one too. It has a layer of polyester on it from trying to steam polyester clothes. I gave up on learning how to iron. Buying permanent press clothing and removing clothes from the dryer immediately when done goes a long way toward preventing wrinkles. Having my own washer and dryer that work consistently well is also a big help (See previous post).
I love my washer and dryer. Flu bedding into the washer. Stiff line dried things into the dryer. My son was sooo put out when we had to go the laundromat between appliances.

Learning something new is a good thing. Yeah grasshopper, not everyone has a washer and dryer.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:54 AM

745 posts, read 479,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I have no dryer and my towels are never crusty unless someone spills something horrible on them.

Then we wash them and air dry them. Soft.
Do you use fabric softener in the washing machine?

Old 07-13-2017, 11:06 AM

43,641 posts, read 44,361,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I am at a crossroads of having to get a new dryer. They're on sale, and I have a 10% off coupon. I have one picked out.

BUT it crosses my mind that maybe I don't really NEED one. I use a clothes dryer for towels, sheets, & blankets/lightwt quilts. I air dry my jeans, tops, delicates.

I'm thinking about getting a fold-out holder for air drying, and putting that in the garage. It would be portable & lightweight. (I've had these before and found them handy.)

I thought about also getting a larger one for out back that is circular and heavier duty, so maybe could use it for sheets or light blanket. I have no experience at all using one of these things.

I don't want an actual clothes line between posts. That would get into an expense, and it would be unsightly. I have a large back yard with 6 ft privacy fence, so I think the smaller round portable ones for the back might be fine. But not an actual clothes line, I think.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
I think it depends where one lives. If one lives in a house with room for outdoor clothing lines and there aren't too many rainy/snowy days in the year then one does not need a dryer.

Old 07-13-2017, 11:38 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,263,202 times
I don't know. I line dry my clothes most of the time so I could probably get by without one. But it's awful nice to have one when it's 10:00 at night and I realize that I don't have any clean underwear for the next day.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:14 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,585,299 times
Quote:
who wants to hop out of the shower and have a crusty rough air dried towel?
Me, Me! I prefer that feeling. I don't have a dryer but then I set my own schedule so can wash clothes on a sunny day. I have a rack for small items I don't want flapping on the line, it goes on the deck.

A couple times a year we have a rainy spell and I use the driers at the Laundromat. It's not the end of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living