Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 02:48 PM

844 posts, read 1,457,078 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a new PC, looking to spend about 320 or less for a desktop. No laptop. Help me out guys show me the light?

Thinking about being a refurbished computer with a 1 year warranty off of the walmart website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 02:53 PM

14,228 posts, read 30,129,882 times
Do you have Fry's? Better deals than Wally World!

Old 08-11-2017, 03:15 PM

10,218 posts, read 7,650,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
I'm looking for a new PC, looking to spend about 320 or less for a desktop. No laptop. Help me out guys show me the light?

Thinking about being a refurbished computer with a 1 year warranty off of the walmart website.
There's no one place, I think. It depends on what you're looking for. You just have to get online and spend a lot of time searching for what's the most you can get for the money you have to spend.

I would not get refurbished, since there's no telling what happened to it before. But that's me.

I got my last one at WalMart. I needed to pick it up and wanted a brick & mortar place to return it to. It was the only such place in my city to carry the pc I had decided on.

I got the one before that one at Best Buy on pretty good sale during Thanksgiving-Christmas holidays.

Newegg.com is a great place to order electronics. Reputable, fast, great prices.

Are you a member of Sam's Club? Sam's has computers...but also Sam's has a feature called "Auctions." It sells various overstocked items at whatever price people bid for it. I got a nice Sony video camera for a great price (not many people were bidding on that). Depends on time of year and what's available. I've seen several laptops for sale thru the auctions, and times where there were none. You can't be too picky about what you require in a laptop, of course, but you can pick up a great deal, if there aren't many others bidding on the same one.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:30 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,981,622 times
I just bought a computer for my kids. They gave me a list of specifications they wanted and I shopped around for the best price, which surprisingly was Office Depot. This is what they got: Lenovo IdeaCentre 510A Desktop PC AMD A12 12GB Memory 1TB Hard Drive Windows 10 by Office Depot & OfficeMax I had seen it for $600 other places.

We could have had one with less RAM for $320, if I didn't have picky teenagers.

We didn't need a monitor because their old one still works.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:00 PM

560 posts, read 603,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post

https://pcpartpicker.com/

you choose the parts you want and it retrieves all the stores with cheapest prices

Old 08-11-2017, 06:15 PM

62,138 posts, read 88,017,025 times
Goodwill. They get the equipment mostly from offices who does a whole company upgrade.
Also from people that decided to buy the newest model. Those computers are not old, and all are inspected by technicians.
I know people who bought them for their teens, and there was nothing wrong with them. Prices between $50 and $150 usually incl. flat monitor, keyboard and mouse. Sometimes is a wireless keyboard/mouse.
Just pay attentions to specs. You can add your own software if you don't like theirs, or want to upgrade.
Also check on their website:
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/listing...7&ending=Items

Old 08-11-2017, 08:54 PM

844 posts, read 1,457,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Goodwill. They get the equipment mostly from offices who does a whole company upgrade.
Also from people that decided to buy the newest model. Those computers are not old, and all are inspected by technicians.
I know people who bought them for their teens, and there was nothing wrong with them. Prices between $50 and $150 usually incl. flat monitor, keyboard and mouse. Sometimes is a wireless keyboard/mouse.
Just pay attentions to specs. You can add your own software if you don't like theirs, or want to upgrade.
Also check on their website:
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/listing...7&ending=Items

Have you ever purchased from "shopgoodwill"?

Old 08-11-2017, 09:27 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,681,895 times
I actually bought the MacBook Pro I'm typing on used on Ebay. I actually bought a couple laptops before this one on Ebay and returned them because of problems and Ebay made the seller reimburse me.

For the money, I got much more bang for my buck getting a used laptop on Ebay, with Ebay's buyer's guarantee.

And I bought a warranty through Square Trade for it, just in case it keeled after Ebay's buyer guarantee.

I'd do the same thing again. My warranty is expired and the laptop is still serving me well. I never would have been able to afford the upgrades in a new Mac that I got with this used one.

Costco used to be a great place to buy computers because of their return policy. You might want to check out Costco, if it's an option for you.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:35 PM

4,627 posts, read 6,456,951 times
Tiger Direct

Old 08-12-2017, 12:50 AM

963 posts, read 2,307,982 times
Why not consider used business-class computers? These are computers designed to run reliably under heavy use in business environments. These are the computers you will see on desks in banks, hospitals and other mission critical environments. They must be reliable, sturdy, easy to repair and long lasting. They tend to be more expensive than consumer-oriented computers when new because they use tougher, more reliable components. However, they are generally upgraded by the thousands by businesses in a three-year cycle. These bullet-proof enterprise level computers will be dumped on the refurbished and resell market with years of usable life left. They typically carry brand names like Lenovo, HP, and Dell.

I recently purchased a Lenovo ThinkCentre All-in-one PC for under $100. It has a build quality far superior to any consumer level computer and will last much longer. You won't find this sort of quality at you local Walmart or Best Buy and as a used unit it is much cheaper. Plus they are designed for easy repair with parts available on eBay.

Check out this article for more info: https://stylepeterson.com/the-cheaps...and-computers/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living