Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 12:46 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times

Advertisements

Beautiful house, nice view, great living room. . I like the minimalist look... Too much clutter just makes it look messy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 01:20 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
We just moved a few months ago. This house is about 3 times the size of the old house so we need to buy a lot of stuff for each room. The bedrooms have been the priority. That room is just what was in my old family room (minus the rug) which still leaves it half empty.
Couch should face the TV. Get a ping pong table. Maybe a pool table. Yeah, a pool table. Fine motor skills and math. Hand and eye coordination.

Old 09-16-2017, 02:13 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
I'm curious to calculate this sweet spot. I'll do that later.

Old 09-16-2017, 03:47 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,485,821 times
I still stand by my response.

There are several who seem to agree with me.

If you really really need that big a tv to SEE it, or as one poster said, binoculars, still say get your eyes fixed.

I wear glasses. I have a 20 inch in a room and sit 15 feet away.

That's the bonus room. The living room I sit 22 feet away from a 25" tv. I see the tv just fine.

You can't possibly watch all four corners of an 82" tv, that is like trying to watch out the front, sides and back of your vehicle ALL at once.

My response was NOT silly, and this is NOT the forum to place this thread. There is NOTHING "frugal" about buying an 82" OR BIGGER TV, simply put.

Frugal is my $95 20" flat screen tv as far away as the opposit wall. I can see fine, with my glasses. Even without my glasses its a big wad of fuzz i'll grant you, but i can make it out. But my corrective lenses allows me to see it fine.

Let me put it this way also, at my work I am 50' away from the lobby great room tv, and can see it just fine. It is a 40" tv. May even be only 36".
50' away, folks.

Again, I was not being silly, but serious.
And YOU certainly didn't butt heads with those who said the room is too "bare" and " needs to be filled with art and heirlooms". It does lack something besides a big screen tv. The color could be changed, for example. Taupe is so yesterday and bland unless you add pops of color. The seating area, being all white, is sterile looking, and adds to the blandness of the room. That givss you two bland neutral colors. A few splashes of colored throws and throw pillows, maybe a bold colorful area rug would help, in accent colors.

You do have room it looks like for a pool table, ONLY IF you have need for one. NOT needing one but buying ond is also NOT FRUGAL. A nice sitting 3 piece cafe or bistro set would be nice near the window, for sipping your afternoon tea, coffe, soda, for example.
A nice area sized rug under it and you can sit and watch the wildlife go by. Seriously.
That is what we will do in one corner of the 10' by 24' atrium.

The room should/ could/ would have looked nice with a fireplace, or did i miss it? I'll have to look at it again.

You said the area behind the sofas is bare, so get a long sofa table, add some colorful larger vases, with some accent flora in them and some family photos.

You do havean empty pallet and can do so much to make it " feel homey".

All that can be done for about $500-700 dollars I'd you are frugal. The bistro set can be had for $100-150. The two 9x 12 area rugs are about $150 each. The cases, cheap at target or wally world, $50 for 2 or 3. Dried floea at a craft store about $25. Franes fir tge photos $1 each at Dollar tree. Might even find the vases there too.

Good luck filling it.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:44 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Oh great it's this guy again. Now he is offering me free decorating advice also. Sweet.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:10 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Oh great it's this guy again. Now he is offering me free decorating advice also. Sweet.
I like the place, looks pretty comfortable.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:21 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I still stand by my response.

There are several who seem to agree with me.

If you really really need that big a tv to SEE it, or as one poster said, binoculars, still say get your eyes fixed.

I wear glasses. I have a 20 inch in a room and sit 15 feet away.

That's the bonus room. The living room I sit 22 feet away from a 25" tv. I see the tv just fine.

You can't possibly watch all four corners of an 82" tv, that is like trying to watch out the front, sides and back of your vehicle ALL at once.
I have a 60 inch TV in the family room and another 60 incher in the master bedroom. In the family room I'm 12 feet away when I sit in my recliner. In the master bedroom I'm 15 feet away when I sit in my recliner and about 13 feet away when I'm in bed. I can't imagine trying to watch a 20 or 25 inch TV from any of those distances. And my eyes are just fine. You'll miss all the fine details with such small TVs.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:40 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
I'm sorry. I started that.

My son could answer this question, but he's too busy. A least I asked.

He found my last TV and phone. Great price. Never pay retail.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:18 AM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
im comfortable with the criticism. im a little surprised that i didnt anticipate criticisms that im not being frugal. i realize that even though i see myself as frugal, others may not agree. my house may not seem frugal to others but it was a short sale and i got about a 30% discount on fair market value for it.

even when done, im not such a big fan of a lot of wall decorations and other stuff. my mom likes to fill every inch of space with something and have gigantic units. i think if you saw other rooms, you would feel they are more complete but maybe not to some people's tastes.

the whole area behind the couch is empty. the stuff was put in when we moved and left there. gotta figure out how to do that room best but it can definitely be considered completely incomplete at this point.
Well, "frugal" also suggests that a home isn't needlessly large too. This place seems to have a lot of empty air space that you will pay to heat and/or cool year round. A very large structure that you will also pay to maintain, spend more in property tax on too. Plus, as you said, needing to buy a lot of non essential stuff to fill the rooms. Sometimes more isn't better, its just more.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:05 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
just snapped a pic of the room. we moved here a couple of months ago so we havent really set it up for the long term yet. the tv there is probably 42-45 inches. the next tv will be wall mounted.

Why did you post this in Frugal Living? LOL. What is your next thread going to be? Best High End Luxury Sports Car For The Money?

Anyways, rearrange your room. Move the TV closer to the furniture, or the furniture closer to the TV. Problem solved, and you will be living frugally. Well kind of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living