Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 05:32 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
My wife calls this the 'price of being poor'.

We have seen many used car dealerships that self-finance cars [at very high rates]. They target marketing at the poor.

Home appliance rental stores often target the poor, who will pay twice as much for the same product.
not really the same thing. Redlining and similar practices are imposed on the poor, people of color, etc. against their will, generally without their knowledge. But in many cases, the people being taken advantage of in this manner lack money for a down payment, a good credit history and other things that would allow them to avoid these predatory lenders and merchants.

That's quite different the OP's question about people who have perhaps a sense of shame about *needing* to shop at a secondhand store and therefore spend more than they could otherwise get away with, sometimes spending more for lower quality merchandise. But they avoid what they see as the shame and embarrassment of shopping second hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 05:52 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
The confusion part is why don't lower income people shop at 2nd hand store more often. In my head, the lower the income the more 2nd hand shopping a family will do. But in reality its not a linear graph

There is nothing wrong with middle class shopping in 2nd hand store, I myself do it too but I didn't when I was poor.
We are on the lower end of middle class, and live in a very blue collar area.

I've personally found that for kids clothes, the good/clean thrift stores are more expensive than the clearance section of Walmart/KMart.

For instance, at one of my local thrift stores, all little girl dresses run $7/piece. Separates for both boys and girls are $5/piece. However, most of the clothes are usually brands like Gap, Gymboree, OshKosh, etc, so were likely more expensive to begin with.

For daily play wear, I usually just get my kids clearance at Walmart. They do a big $1 kids clearance section at the end of each season. However, for my kids "good" clothes (party dresses, button down shirts, etc), I go to the thrift store for a gently used brand name item.

Honestly though, it is probably why the poor are less likely to thrift. Even not on clearance, my Walmart has kids separates for around $3-$4, which is less than the thrift stores or around the same, but for brand new.

Old 05-08-2018, 06:17 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,164 times
I think I've gotten some of my favorite clothes at a thrift store. I've looked and tried on things that I would not normally be drawn to and found that I like it. Probably also some of it is higher quality stuff that would be waaay outside my budget.

I've Googled some of the labels in tops mostly. A few turned out to be extremely high end stuff. One was some designer that shows in France fashion shows, going price for new but similar was about $600.00. I think I paid $10. It was a really nice top for evening wear.

I have champagne taste on a beer budget.

Old 05-08-2018, 06:34 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Social class is about a LOT more things than just income. Education, enculturation, self-image, ambition, heritable characteristics like IQ, and one's social network, all play roles in our class standing.

If we're talking about just income, then 'Lower Class', to me, would be double-Minimum-Wage, or less. So, in most of America, that would be a household income of thirty thousand or less. Pew defines 'Upper Class' income as double the national median. So, that would be income of 120 thousand or so. But that's ridiculous. That kind of money won't even let you afford a home in an Upper Class NEIGHBORHOOD.

To me, "Upper Class", if we're ONLY talking about money, begins when you start getting REALLY big returns on your money (money that you're not deriving from businesses you're personally, actively, involved in, that is). That critical mass comes for BILLIONAIRES. So, if you're getting true yearly growth of your capital, in the range of 120 million or more, then you're Upper Class. Pew is off, by three zeroes.

Then again, I know plenty of truly Upper Class people, who manage (precariously, of course) to remain Aristocrats, on household incomes far lower than the money coming into a great many truly Lower Class households. They live in barely-maintained Victorian mansions, in dying towns, in dying regions. And, as OP says, THEY SHOP THE THRIFTS.

And it's a matter of WHAT you buy. An Upper Class person will go into TJ Maxx or a better thrift, and emerge with gorgeous, classy-looking stuff. A truly Lower Class person will go in, and emerge with sports memorabilia, things that make noise, plastic things in day-glo colors, and things covered with the faces of Disney characters. The truly Upper Class person will spot the delicate reproduction lacquered Chinese Chippendale fretwork chair, while the truly Lower Class person will lug-home the giant, overstuffed flop-out-style seating.
While I don't like dividing people into classes, you, once again, nailed it. I'm a manager in a non-profit thrift store. We are well supported by the local community, because our profits remain local. We get some truly fantastic donations. And we have customers, mostly resellers, who come in 2-3 times a day to see what has arrived. They appreciate quality, and can easily recognize it. Those who are clients and receive services such as free clothing and food as much more likely to be drawn to the flash merchandise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post

I've personally found that for kids clothes, the good/clean thrift stores are more expensive than the clearance section of Walmart/KMart.

For instance, at one of my local thrift stores, all little girl dresses run $7/piece. Separates for both boys and girls are $5/piece. However, most of the clothes are usually brands like Gap, Gymboree, OshKosh, etc, so were likely more expensive to begin with.

For daily play wear, I usually just get my kids clearance at Walmart. They do a big $1 kids clearance section at the end of each season. However, for my kids "good" clothes (party dresses, button down shirts, etc), I go to the thrift store for a gently used brand name item.

Honestly though, it is probably why the poor are less likely to thrift. Even not on clearance, my Walmart has kids separates for around $3-$4, which is less than the thrift stores or around the same, but for brand new.
Our children's clothing is priced from $1. up to size 24 months, to $2.00 up to adult sizes which max out at $5.00. And once a week our clothing is 50% off. I have found the national thrift stores to be very overpriced. Look for local thrifts, and you can find great deals.

After working here for 4 years, I can't remember the last time I walked into a store. My closet is bursting with all the new, or almost new clothing items I have found.

Old 05-08-2018, 06:39 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
You can blame this song.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...uunbMGL9k--2Tj

Old 05-08-2018, 06:48 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,589 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post

Yeh. You need to go to Savers.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:18 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I went to Savers in my area to get some cheap but sturdy shoes for lawn mowing. The ones I had been using got thrown away last year and I didn't have any I wanted to sacrifice. They did have a ok selection of USED athletic shoes but most of them that were sturdy enough were around $20, some more, most of which were very worn. Ridiculous prices for used athletic shoes. I finally found a pair that were $4.99 after digging around that work but weird fluorescent pink and green leopard print, but I didn't care about color.

Old 05-09-2018, 06:55 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Even Savers around here is on the expensive end! However, they do seem to have the best selection of toys (95% of my children's toys are from thrift stores, estate sales or garage sales).

The Savers closest to me has $14 price tags on some kids clothes!

Old 05-09-2018, 08:28 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
It depends on the thrift store. The national thrift store prices to be higher than other stores on clearance. When my kids were younger, I could buy a year ahead at nicer stores that were not Walmart. The clothing there was enough ahead of the trend that they had cute clothes and were fashionable. Those 'princessy' looking girl dresses that no one bought the first time around were quite affordable at 75% off.

Local thrift stores tended to have better prices. Garage sales had even better prices. I bought some of my baby/toddler favorite outfits for less than $1. My kids were always dressed cute.

We shop at the thrift stores on occasion. My daughter finds somethings she can wear. She gets some of her cosplay pieces from there and alters them on the sewing machine here at home. You can't beat $8 for a jacket you will wear one time. I don't have the time to go there on a more regular basis and shop. I notice I can go in and walk out empty handed. I see many people with carts. Some people load up.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:20 AM

45 posts, read 29,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
We mostly wore worn out rags from garage sales, things the thrift store would throw out rather than sell.
I can relate. It was even worse for me ... no garage sales. All I got for a long time were hand me downs from my niece and most of it was pretty much ragged. But I had to wear it cause there was nothing else. Most of my teenage years often I had only flip flops as footwear. I remember, once in spring I found a pair of Converse Chucks at a bus stop. They were pretty much worn out but I was happy to have real shoes. Next winter I still wore them, held together with duct tape. Then they fell apart and I came home barefoot. Did I get new shoes? No. My mom gave me just one pair of her shoes. Totally worn down ballet flats. "They are still good enough" she said. "No need to spend money." ...

Quote:
It was embarrassing to go to nice schools wearing those clothes, but my mom wouldn't buy anything nice,
Yes, for me as well.

Quote:
My household income is lower than my parents' income. I shop at thrift stores a lot, and my kids have always had many nice clothes.
Well, today I have an income. Quite low but at least I can pay for everything. I shop at thrift stores and flea markets mostly when it comes to clothes and shoes. I think it's a good thing, it's cheap and sustainable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living