Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 01:33 AM

1,326 posts, read 1,129,780 times

Advertisements

No. You want it, you don't need it. Really OP? Why would you even post such a stupid question when you know the answer? You have a dog right? You need every extra penny to take care of it. Stop playing "helpless".

I read a thread where some of the posters called you out and others "defended" you. I tend to think that most of the "defenders" are older and just trying to guide you, as they would a child or grand child, but lets be honest...

You are an adult... granted you said that you went through hard times, but who hasn't? I don't think you are stupid or slow, You articulate well, in writing, so I think you either crave attention or have alternative motives here as others have mentioned. Certain posters are all... "go read her other threads". Yeah... um no! I will say, I like you just based on the one thread I read because you reacted to the a****'s comments in a way that makes them look stupid. That's cool.

Others have asked where you are in NC. Are you in NC for real? I wouldn't personally tell my exact location to random forum strangers but what town or city are you closest to because there are major cities in NC but also depressing, bible belt/neglected/dry counties there as well. You do know that moving a few miles away in any direction can change your life, right? Whats holding you back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 01:43 AM

1,326 posts, read 1,129,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
But in your case, you are buying just one piece - the lovely chair you really like. Chances are that if you start saving for it now - by the time you have you money together, it will be gone.
So, go get it, but make absolutely sure that you don't miss a payment, no matter hiw much you need the money for something else.

Why on earth would you advise that? OP lives in a hotel room doesn't she? Why would any sane person buy a piece of furniture for a hotel room?

OP, if you can afford some random chair, you don't need, then you can afford to start a savings account to move into a place of you own.

OP you say you are mentally slow but I don't believe you. I also think that you don't think you are. Did you ever consider the possibility that your family made you feel that way so you would stay and take care of their responsibilities? Just a thought...

Old 05-27-2018, 06:08 AM

23,154 posts, read 26,057,468 times
People that end up never having anything get that way by doing the type of thing you're considering.

Old 05-27-2018, 06:13 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,127,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
No. You want it, you don't need it. Really OP? Why would you even post such a stupid question when you know the answer? You have a dog right? You need every extra penny to take care of it. Stop playing "helpless".

I read a thread where some of the posters called you out and others "defended" you. I tend to think that most of the "defenders" are older and just trying to guide you, as they would a child or grand child, but lets be honest...

You are an adult... granted you said that you went through hard times, but who hasn't? I don't think you are stupid or slow, You articulate well, in writing, so I think you either crave attention or have alternative motives here as others have mentioned. Certain posters are all... "go read her other threads". Yeah... um no! I will say, I like you just based on the one thread I read because you reacted to the a****'s comments in a way that makes them look stupid. That's cool.

Others have asked where you are in NC. Are you in NC for real? I wouldn't personally tell my exact location to random forum strangers but what town or city are you closest to because there are major cities in NC but also depressing, bible belt/neglected/dry counties there as well. You do know that moving a few miles away in any direction can change your life, right? Whats holding you back?
Thanks and I'm sorry. I am honestly not trying to play dumb. i don't talk to many people in real life. My guy is busy right now and i don't have many friends here where I live yet. i don't have anybody to really talk to in real life so normally I come here to talk and ask questions. i don't tell people I have a learning disorder for them to feel bad for me, really i don't. i just know that people on here have called me weird before or have asked me if I'm slow so i just wanted to explain why I am like how I am. I don't come here to fight with people, just to talk and ask questions. i get pretty lonely in real life and theres always people on here. It honestly isn't more than that. I just come here to talk.

I am thinking about taking a break from on here. Yes, people are nice but some people are just mean and only want to keep bringing up stupid stuff Ive done or said. Yes I can take the truth and I handle it pretty good but it also can be stressful. I have gotten messages that I need to stop posting.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:32 AM

5,405 posts, read 3,967,716 times
Daisy, you should start saving for what you need and want. Learn about the concept of an emergency fund. Let's say you paid $700 or whatever for this great chair. Then your little dog gets sick or injured and needs vet care. What good is the chair going to do when your little buddy needs help? When your alternative, if you can't afford the vet care, is to put him down or give him away. Is a chair worth more than that?

I know you have a friend who wants to "take care of you." You can NOT depend on him or any other person to help you out. They can be gone in a flash. You have to depend on yourself.

You should be saving everything you can toward getting your own place and having an emergency fund in case you get laid off, fired, sick, or whatever.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:09 AM

1,340 posts, read 766,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
IMHO, it is always better to save up the cash and then buy the item. The two exceptions are buying a house and sometimes buying a car (but, often it is better to pay cash for a car, too. As you can normally get a much better deal).

Start to save up the money. It is possible that by the time that you have saved the money you will have changed your mind on the chair and decided that you really don't need it.

Good luck.
That is what I did.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:14 AM

50,014 posts, read 63,347,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post
Theres a chair that I want for my room. Its actually more like a long chair and I love the way it looks! I wanted to buy it and put it at the end of my bed so i can sit in it when I watch TV. That or I was thinking of putting it in the corner and buying some nice pillows for it. Either way it's a really beautiful chair.

I found one at a place near me and its expensive so I was thinking of getting on a a payment plan for it. It'd be 90 days and if I get it paid off by then I don't have to pay any extra on it, just what I owe. I was thinking about doing it. I really want it, but should I wait and save up and pay cash or should I get a payment plan?

Now I know a lot of people get their furniture used. I'm actually all for that and have done that before. but even if I found one on craigslist or somewhere I have no way to go get it, no car or truck. And a lot of ads want to meet or want you to come pick it up. This place offers free delivery so thats also why I'm leaning more toward it.

Anybody else paying off furniture? is it worth it?
I use same as cash financing any time it’s available. Use their money, but do not fail to pay it in time, and on time, because typically, these plans have extremely high interest.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:35 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,638,678 times
If you can't afford to buy the furniture don't buy it. You are better off saving as much as you can in case and emergency comes and you need the money. Go buy a chair from Goodwill until you have enough money for emergencies and the chair.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:45 AM

35,512 posts, read 17,705,812 times
No, Daisy, pass on this one.

The ability to delay gratification, and the ability to deny yourself a luxury you are pining for, are qualities that will make you successful. The lack of those two abilities will ruin your chances of a stable life.

I think you need to work on the ability to take joy in making good decisions, and steering your ship well. THAT is better than a chair any day! ;D Having rainy day money sitting in your bank account gives you a feeling of safety and pride.

There is also the concept of self-sabotage, which I think you may be experiencing here. It's where you are barely keeping your head above water, but you are, and then you do something on purpose, knowingly, that makes it pretty certain you will fail. Like if you're doing well at a job that has a rule you can't have visible tattoos, and then you go out and get one on your face.

Buying a chair that you can't afford, and then putting it in a hotel room might be self-sabotage. If for some reason you have to move out of that hotel you don't even have a way to transport the chair with you. You'll still be paying on a chair that you don't have.

Dress up in something really fun, go sit in that chair and have someone take a picture of you. Keep that pic on your phone, and use that as your reminder to not blow your money, and your chances to succeed independently. A mindset of "this is the really expensive chair I wanted, but nope, I'm not blowing my security".

Best wishes.

Last edited by ClaraC; 05-27-2018 at 09:02 AM..

Old 05-27-2018, 09:31 AM

7,982 posts, read 5,335,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
No, Daisy, pass on this one.

The ability to delay gratification, and the ability to deny yourself a luxury you are pining for, are qualities that will make you successful. The lack of those two abilities will ruin your chances of a stable life.
^ Excellent, this is deep and so on point. Your entire response is excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living