Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 08:48 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,744,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
It does not really cover many minutes. Probably cheaper for you to add him to your line for $10
I think there are different plans. If you want the minutes to roll over I think you get a little less but unless you are on the phone an hour a day you should be okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 08:57 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,294,354 times
Consumer Cellular has plans for one line: 250 minutes/month - $15; unlimited/month - $20

Old 11-23-2018, 11:34 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,750,398 times
There are many low-cost phone options (I use Total Wireless - it's Verizon under a discount brand and I switched with a Verizon device), and you can pay/manage them easily online for him. Might be easier, less hassle than trying to get and keep a Safelink account working.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:19 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,527,976 times
Quote:
It does not really cover many minutes. Probably cheaper for you to add him to your line for $10
I think it varies from state to state, but typically you get 1000 minutes, unlimited texting, and 1 GB of data for free, then it costs you to upgrade to unlimited minutes.

The free plans are slightly better than the first tier of Page Plus Plans, but not quite as good as second tier
1) $12.00 $10 with Auto Refill 500 minutes 500 texts 100 MB data 4G LTE†
2) $29.95 $27 with Auto Refill Unlimited minutes Unlimited texts First 2 GB Data up to 4G LTE†, then 2G*

Old 11-25-2018, 07:50 AM

14 posts, read 13,526 times
I've got an old straight talk cell phone, like captain kirk's, that I have washed in a washing machine, and run over with a car and it still works.

Cost: 1500 minutes for 33 dolas a month.

I got it for free.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:41 AM

20,613 posts, read 4,406,852 times
https://www.safelinkwireless.com/Enr...html#!/newHome

The phone is free to anyone who qualifies under specific programs: medicare, medicaid, welfare, etc.

Most phone come with 200-500 free monthly minutes.
IE: You have a phone with 250 minutes. If you only use 50 free minutes, you don't keep the 200 free minutes for
next month. You phone gets reset to 250 free minutes.

You can always add more minutes at your cost.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:53 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,529,721 times
As a taxpayer, I'm tired of paying for crap like this. So I've taken steps to lower my tax bill and put more money in different countries. Maybe one day I'll actually be a free person.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:26 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,257,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Depending on the state if you apply for or qualify for Food Stamps or Medicaid you can qualify for it, i think it's part of the Lifeline program.
OK, it's good to know, my BIL is in seriouis mental trouble and I will be asking him to send me copies of any correspondence SSI or SSDI sends him so I can understand what's happening. Short of that, I can't do anything more for him until I get him to fess up. In other words, help me to help him. I told him about the free phone as he was begging us for money to support the phone line he has on his friend's account. Since I wouldn't believe his request for $300, including food, etc., and the phone (he broke his and needs a new one), we are only sending him $50 basically he says for food even though that's in question too, because his mother, who had been taking care of him, died, and he's a mess. I feel very sorry for him. But he has got to learn to control himself. If he can't do that, he needs to be at the mercy or welfare of the state. (Homeless shelter, and things like that.) I can't do any better for him because I am a senior citizen and don't believe him. Or trust him. He's smart enough to lie. If he lived with us, I wouldn't be surprised if he would steal from us. I feel very sorry for him, wouldn't want to be in his condition. But I am not emotionally able to take care of someone like that. I used to in the past, no more.
When I was a young woman I got in trouble. My parents were there to bail me out, but -- it was hard on them and I did not show gratitude. I am VERY SORRY for that and have developed a deep faith in God that He will help me to ask for forgiveness when and if I see them again. But I am not his parent and while I feel sorry for him, he is not yet homeless. And if we can help him work things out, we will. But not where he drives me off my rocker, as the saying goes.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:29 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,257,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleTom View Post
I've got an old straight talk cell phone, like captain kirk's, that I have washed in a washing machine, and run over with a car and it still works.

Cost: 1500 minutes for 33 dolas a month.

I got it for free.
I got a great deal with Cricket. $35 with unlimited calls and texts and internet (limited wifi though, unless I connect with someone else's wifi, like in a store). But that's good for me. I also kept my old Cricket phone which works great, but it was too small. So I got a great deal at Walmart w a Cricket phone a bit larger. I'm happy with it. But my BIL won't listen to reason, so therefore I can't really "help him" with phone bills.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:03 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,356,808 times
Quote:
I got a ZTE smart phone, with 350 minutes and 2 GB of data a month - for free from Assurance Wireless. Good deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living