Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 09:16 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raise_the_Black_Flag View Post
Who says I noticed your shoes. I'm talking about mine. And sorry you go feel like a success with your cheap drty shoes. I want mine clean and decent quality. This doesn't make you a better person. Just slovenly w/o pride
Well, I guess if all you have that you can be proud of is wearing name brand expensive shoes, then you go for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 09:37 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,708,972 times
I have snow boots from 5+ years ago that I purchased for $20 at Payless thinking it will only last me that season & be done with it. It is still warm and comfortable. But to be fair, I only wear it for 2 months out of year when there is tons of snow on ground for an few hours a day. I switch out of it at work because its too warm. that is probably why it last me longer than any shoes

I do buy my shoes at Shoe Carnival due to their buy 1 get one half off & my normal shoe is AK sports. But those fall apart like clockwork every 6 month & I don't know if that is normal. I don't know what quality to look for while shopping for shoes. I can never tell much at the store but after few use I can tell the difference between good and bad shoe.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:48 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,765,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raise_the_Black_Flag View Post
Who says I noticed your shoes. I'm talking about mine. And sorry you go feel like a success with your cheap drty shoes. I want mine clean and decent quality. This doesn't make you a better person. Just slovenly w/o pride
I'm losing sleep over it.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:49 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,877,553 times
I can't imagine how some people become so petty to judge others by the price of their shoes. Fake leather with rubber soles = pauper? Good grief. There's probably something psychological going on with lack of self-esteem so they search for self-worth outside of themselves and figure $$$ is the way to define it instead. Just nuts to me.

Wear comfortable shoes appropriate to the situation and enjoy life.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:41 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times
I spend the money on running shoes absolutely, but the rest....today I am wearing Wallyworld Champion brand tennies. I took the foot sole lining out and they are that airy light material because I like loose and comfortable - (with jeans) sitting at my desk at work. I usually have them tossed off anyway because I have this "thing" about maintaining dry feet.

I have a couple of pairs of Propet orthopedic sandals that I wear (they last for years and years) with matching "tights" socks so they appear like solid shoes. Again, gotta have dry feet. I wear loose airy N/B shoes at the gym that are several years old, foot sole lining removed. I hardly ever buy shoes.

My brother wore thrift shop shoes (and suits) at his law internship (at a law firm) when attending school (he and his wife did the ultimate thrift living while in school) and it did not affect his career/ability to be hired.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:11 AM

265 posts, read 155,484 times
I am not judging anyone by just their shoes. I am judging myself and I can't imagine I am alone on this.

When I see a hick woman with cheap shoes -- she most likely is the type who goes to the barber shop to get a haircut since that is cheaper as well. At least she looks it. Further said person that I have worked with and known is nearly always a low income earner.

Maybe you are so offended by this because you are one as well? Stuff happens.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:03 PM

Maybe some people wear cheap shoes because they can. I do agree that they should be nice/decent looking.

My propet orthopedic sandals (I saw them on someone at a nursing home) are nice looking sandals for lets say... a retired person.... I am not retired but I love to wear them because they are comfortable and great to walk in (okay they are 65-90 dollars a pair).

I don't need a hot pair of designer shoes to go to the gym at 3:30 am. Some folks just don't want/have a need to drop a lot of cash on a pair of shoes. A shoe is a piece of leather/plastic/cloth that gets you from point A to point B.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:10 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
I hate to shop especially for shoes or clothes. I buy a brand of shoe that is expensive to buy but lasts forever and is uber comfortable. and supportive. The life cycle value/cost is low as I keep a pair 20 years plus. They use to refurbish the shoes for me at a reasonable cost so I could wear them every third or fourth day for ever.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:10 PM

My family is of professional people. I work in a professional industry. I can buy expensive shoes. We just don't need or want to. Dad brought us up to be frugal.

Old 12-18-2018, 02:00 PM

265 posts, read 155,484 times
how much ? my last pair is a 25 dollar pay less. My "new ones" are from my parents that I know that they got cheap somewhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living