Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 06:33 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,123 times

Advertisements

lol, I'm a big lover of the holidays so this is a time I really have to watch the ole spending.

I'm actually not bad with the gift giving as my kids are young adults and tend to want specific things, my entertainment budget is what usually gets beat down.

I'm hosting a pre Christmas dinner on the 22nd and trying to keep the food budget manageable. big families can eat!!

So how's everyone else making out? any tips you use to keep on the straight and narrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 08:03 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,485,821 times
Hi,
Well for one thing i start shopping early...like August and September. If not earlier. I start planning early.

That way i can look for good prices sales etc.
That way i totally avoid last minute impulse spending.
That way im set well in avance of the last minute rush.

My presents were already done by mid Nov at the latest.

I have just 3 great nephews, 2 bros and a nephew and neice inlaw, and my OH to shop for.

Now all i have to do is wrap.

We go to bros house for dinner and presents. I dont have any work to do there.

So done and done.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:54 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
My husband's department is shorthanded right now, so he's getting lots of overtime. All the Christmas money is coming out of his overtime, and there's still some left over to put in savings. I'll have to make a Christmas dinner, but it's not going to be very elaborate or expensive...pork tenderloin, wild rice and cranberry sauce, plus a tres leches cake for dessert.

I even have fireworks left over from the 4th of July, so I don't have to buy fireworks for New Year's.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:36 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,256,469 times
Over the years, we've cut way back on gift-giving. Hubby and my siblings and me are all of that certain age when we really don't need much and we don't want more "stuff". So our gift-giving is confined to FIL and 2 grandnieces. We do give a few toys to our local police department's toy collection. And we have a family grab bag where everything has to come from a dollar store. It is a scream every year, and stuff gets regifted over and over. Especially the really hysterically-funny items. But that's it for buying gifts.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:58 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
lol, I'm a big lover of the holidays so this is a time I really have to watch the ole spending.

I'm actually not bad with the gift giving as my kids are young adults and tend to want specific things, my entertainment budget is what usually gets beat down.

I'm hosting a pre Christmas dinner on the 22nd and trying to keep the food budget manageable. big families can eat!!

So how's everyone else making out? any tips you use to keep on the straight and narrow.
Holiday travel is always the budget buster for us, and it is this year as well. Having family in other parts of the country is very expensive.

Old 12-16-2018, 02:56 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,764,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post

Most financial experts say not to exceed 1.5% of your income on Christmas. Very conservative experts like to keep that at 1%. I find these numbers reasonable.

Old 12-16-2018, 04:19 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,347,630 times
Many years ago my family, which is large, decided to stop gift giving. Such a relief. My friends and I just get together.

Very, very low for spending.

Old 12-16-2018, 04:25 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
I’ve been spending, but not keeping track of the limit. However, I’m nearly done now except for the food for the Christmas Day.

Old 12-16-2018, 04:50 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,371,715 times
WE, (in our extended Family ) stoppedALL presents a few decades ago. But nice cards and thoughts were always part of the "Holiday Season"

BTW~ Out Family is far and wide so unable to afford "Get-togethers" for so long Couldn't even estimate. We do contact by phone and lately Skype/Chat.. so Love is spread digitally and face-to-face!!

In the past decade, things have changed..my eldest passed away, and I'm now aged and decluttering and no not WISH presents but would love a call or card ( for those out of country)... I've give-up on buying appropriate gifts over a decade ago..so gave gift cards so the Grand's could get something they wanted.

The above have changed even further .. So I asked for ZERO gifts from anybody. I do not need something I have to figure out what to do with! Health Issues demand thatI unload items and have NOW no use for, giving it away to Family and donate is my agenda.

I' do appreciate Christmas season..BUT have NOW embraced it's spirit and discarded the "Capitalism Side" of it! My Grand's have outgrown the "Magic" of Santa and have become more into "WHAT I can Score" > Materialism has been too promoted/prominent !!

I spend money for food/meals/treats and munchies when visiting... BUT, No more for Physical items and I have no need for any gifts.. other than Family Bonding efforts!!

Happy Holidays/Merry Christmas to one and ALL

Old 12-16-2018, 07:04 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,645,388 times
Husband has a lot of grandchildren. They get $50 each.

We bought a new UHD TV from Costco as our Christmas. It is HUGE. But we love it so far. Extraordinary deal.

That be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living