Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 10:45 PM

2 posts, read 3,286 times

Advertisements

I have inherited a somewhat old sewing machine (Singer Esteem II) from a deceased relative. Its quite rusty inside so I decided to put some oil in it. but then something fell out after that when I started using it. And today the handwheel stopped moving. Is it worth it to get this fixed. or do I need to buy a new one? Im just starting to learn how to use a sewing machine. And all I really need it for is to fix my husbands workpants.
AND if I do need to just get a new one, can you recommend a cheap reliable one that could sew thick work pants. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 11:36 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
If all you require is a basic machine for infrequent use, an entry level machine at WalMart is very inexpensive and quite capable for your needs. Be sure to get the recommended needle for denim sewing, which will work much better than the supplied “all around” needle that does finer stitching on lighter fabrics. IIRC, a HD Singer entry level machine which even has zig-zag stitching is around $110. Unlikely you could get your old machine fixed for that and it probably can’t sew as well as the latest models, too.

Old 03-30-2019, 12:28 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
if you get into significant sewng,
look to some robust viking /husqvarna machines from the 1980 and earlier. i get these for under $100.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Husqvarna-V...ty!91361!US!-1

look on etsy and eBay for Frostline sewing kits!

i still wear gear i made in 4H in the 1960's

suits me.

Old 03-30-2019, 02:36 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
I have a Brother machine I bought on Craigslist for $25 that does everything I need it too. If it stopped working, I'd have no problem paying full price for a new one. It's not the most basic model. You want one that has a zigzag stitch and does button holes, if possible. Even if all you're doing on it is hemming pants, it's nice to have the option to do more.

Old 03-30-2019, 02:50 AM

61,685 posts, read 87,077,794 times
You want to buy a sewing machine to fix your husband work pants? How is that frugal? Do it per hand or find an alteration shop (often together with dry cleaners). Or just buy another pair of work pants. Any of those options would be cheaper than a sewing machine...

But if you must buy one, you should consider this:
https://www.amazon.com/NEX-Household...ct_top?ie=UTF8
https://www.amazon.com/Varmax-Machin...ef=pd_sbs_0_10
https://www.amazon.com/SINGER-1304-S...BQ/ref=sr_1_84

Last edited by elnina; 03-30-2019 at 03:12 AM..

Old 03-30-2019, 03:18 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,048,341 times
Get a cheap, basic machine at a thrift store or yard sale, $25 or less, and it won't be plastic junk if you get an older one.

Old 03-30-2019, 06:12 AM

2 posts, read 3,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
You want to buy a sewing machine to fix your husband work pants? How is that frugal? Do it per hand or find an alteration shop (often together with dry cleaners). Or just buy another pair of work pants. Any of those options would be cheaper than a sewing machine...

But if you must buy one, you should consider this:
https://www.amazon.com/NEX-Household...ct_top?ie=UTF8
https://www.amazon.com/Varmax-Machin...ef=pd_sbs_0_10
https://www.amazon.com/SINGER-1304-S...BQ/ref=sr_1_84
My husband works construction. He rips his work pants after 5-7 use. sometimes last up to 2 weeks if I bought those expensive ones. SO I buy at least 2 new workpants every month. And I did Hand sew some of his ripped worked pants before but my stitching isn't good enough and rips few days after. and It usually takes me a while to stitch a pair of workpants. I did hand sew for his pants for about 2 years already. So I'm pretty sure a sewing machine is quite a good investment. Also he usually wear a carpenters pants, heavy denim or those thick craftsman workpants..so its a bit much of a hassle to stitch back up every time it rips..

Old 03-30-2019, 07:29 PM

61,685 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Oh, I see. Hope you will find the right sewing machine that it's easy to use. Check my links

Old 03-30-2019, 07:34 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I have a Brother machine I bought on Craigslist for $25 that does everything I need it too. If it stopped working, I'd have no problem paying full price for a new one. It's not the most basic model. You want one that has a zigzag stitch and does button holes, if possible. Even if all you're doing on it is hemming pants, it's nice to have the option to do more.
I bought a Brother machine, refurbished from their website, for about 80 bucks. Works great.

Mine does zig zag stitch, and button holes, and is intuitive to use.

Old 03-31-2019, 05:36 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,048,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awyeah215 View Post
My husband works construction. He rips his work pants after 5-7 use. sometimes last up to 2 weeks if I bought those expensive ones. SO I buy at least 2 new workpants every month. And I did Hand sew some of his ripped worked pants before but my stitching isn't good enough and rips few days after. and It usually takes me a while to stitch a pair of workpants. I did hand sew for his pants for about 2 years already. So I'm pretty sure a sewing machine is quite a good investment. Also he usually wear a carpenters pants, heavy denim or those thick craftsman workpants..so its a bit much of a hassle to stitch back up every time it rips..

you will want to get one with a free arm - makes it easier to sew things like patches on knees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living