Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 12:22 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times

Advertisements

We've always done everything ourselves---including building a 3,000 sq. ft. house with our own 4 hands (except HVAC, concrete and roofing) but in my zeal back then, I think I overworked my joints---hence bad arthritis today.

Now I don't even do my own cleaning and that's the way I like it in retirement with bad knees (yes, they are "fixed" but still bad) and other stiffness that makes cleaning difficult. Plus, it's only $10 for 3 hrs.

We live in a condo so there's not much left to do at this point. DH used to work on our cars and we remodeled another house entirely by ourselves, but that's all behind us now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 08:03 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
I have never researched why we get arthritis, but I definitely have joint (and other) pain from old stress issues and fractures. I don't have to read the weather report to know when the barometer, pressure changes.

Old 07-23-2019, 08:10 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I have never researched why we get arthritis, but I definitely have joint (and other) pain from old stress issues and fractures. I don't have to read the weather report to know when the barometer, pressure changes.
Why research, it's wear and tear, sugars/carbs and GENETICS.

Old 08-05-2019, 07:07 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,778,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Was the bulb in the dash board? Those things usually do cost a lot because it takes so much work to get in there. Hence, I won't have any of those bulbs replaced until it is time for something really major to be done there.
Recently I was charged $115 to replace some tail light bulbs in my car, I took it in for a state inspection and was told I the some lights needed to be replaced to pass inspection. I could have easily done them myself for under $10, but I would have had to pay for another inspection, not to mention scheduling time out of my day to bring the car in, so I paid just to have them done. Normally I would have addressed the issue myself.

I try to do as much DIY projects as I can. I can do anything electrical in my house, I recently added a some new circuits cause the frig was tripping the over loaded kitchen circuit. Some plumbing, Replaced two windows, but I can't do everything. Recently I paid 4k to have the house repainted, I could have done it myself over a month but I was under a deadline and needed it done in a week, paid to install carpet in three rooms and paid $2,300 to replace four windows I didn't have a clue how to replace. I got a quote to replace all the windows in the house for $7,800, but they wanted to change me $650 a window, I may know how to replace awning windows, but I can do double hung windows for about $250 each myself.

Last edited by TechGromit; 08-05-2019 at 08:08 AM..

Old 08-06-2019, 08:25 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
^^ My son can figure out how to do just about everything, but he doesn't have the time. He sometimes works 50-60 hours a week. He did that for two weeks in July. He also had plans to go out of town those two weekends.

I was afraid that he would fall asleep while driving.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:38 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,750,068 times
Found out some of the studs in an exterior wall have rotted so I replaced those. The P trap in the kitchen sink broke which turned the MDF under that into mush which was holding the under the cupboard garbage containers in place. So I replaced it with a PVC pipes, used some extra 3/4" plywood under the sink now that garbage can isn't coming out unless I want it to.
I don't know if it was the way I was raised, or if it's because I like getting my hands dirty, but for some reason it irks me when people need to call in a professional for the simplest things, or when people spend hundreds of dollars on something it breaks and rather than fixing will spend hundreds of dollars again to replace it.

Old 08-26-2019, 06:27 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
I definitely try to do it myself to avoid paying for installation/service fees. But I also know that there are some things that I don't have the time or patience (or adequate knowledge) to do myself. For things like bulb changes on my vehicle, though, you better believe that I did that myself as I already knew the dealership would charge an arm and a leg to do it for me. Interestingly, the parts are often fairly cheap or reasonably priced I've found. Its the service/installation fees that kill you.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:27 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
So it goes both ways - some small jobs really are costly in time, but things like this, and the typical $60-75 charge for replacing the cabin air filter (which took me fifteen minutes on my Odyssey only because I didn't have a flat screwdriver at hand to pop the retainers easily) are simply gouging. Often high-pressure gouging. A kindly grandmother could replace either one.
I wouldn't call it gouging.

Someone is being paid to do the work.

I'm paying for my ignorance or my laziness.

Old 06-28-2023, 01:11 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I definitely try to do it myself to avoid paying for installation/service fees. But I also know that there are some things that I don't have the time or patience (or adequate knowledge) to do myself. For things like bulb changes on my vehicle, though, you better believe that I did that myself as I already knew the dealership would charge an arm and a leg to do it for me. Interestingly, the parts are often fairly cheap or reasonably priced I've found. Its the service/installation fees that kill you.
I moved back to Hawaii last year and I've gotten much better at DIY work (thank you, YouTube contributors!). Even if something is somewhat time-consuming, I refuse to pay many of the insane prices out here. My building was going through a re-piping project and we were required to removal our garbage disposals before kitchen sink re-piping could be completed. I also wanted to replace my old faucet with an updated one.

The piping contractor wanted to charge me around $200 to remove the garbage disposal (not even dispose of it, just remove it), $185 to install a kitchen basket strainer with tail pipe, and $120 to install the new faucet Note, I would have had to purchase the actual basket strainer, tail pipe, and faucet myself; those fees were purely for installation. I immediately went to YouTube and figured out how to do everything myself.

One trip to the home depot for parts and about a couple of hours later, I was done. No way in hell was that labor worth in excess of $250/hr.

One of my neighbors who lives on the same floor as me is redoing his entire apartment. The lowest quotes he got for the project was $35k. He knows how to do the work himself (to be fair, most don't and this a complete kitchen/bathroom/etc. remodel isn't something that one can faithfully learn how to execute from some videos, especially when working alone) and saved himself $30k.

Old 06-29-2023, 07:10 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I have a feeling that the cost of many services and merchandise in America would be much lower if people here were a little more DIY minded. But it seems that most don't want to be bothered - until they see the bill.

As an example, I was in the car dealership waiting for a part when I overheard a customer complaining about a $500 service charge for having a bulb changed. "I didn't expect it would cost this much!"

The more people are willing to have services "done" for them, the more service providers will increase prices. IMO, the cure for many price increases is to force service people to complete with "almost free" labor.

What is the last project or task around your house that you normally would have called a service company for, or an item that you could have purchased for a high price - that you actually ended up doing or making yourself?

How DIY are you?
I disagree with parts of your original premise. A lot of people lack the know-how to do repairs, cars are becoming so complicated that you can't even try. Doing it yourself will never drive down the cost of repairs due to rising minimum wages. That said…

We Macguyver a lot of things, but if a car's got a problem that isn't simple, or it's under warranty, it goes to the dealership.

We also call someone for house painting and roof stuff. Any fall is a stupid-expensive mistake.

We're not going to be able to install carpeting so it looks decent.

Big and heavy gets farmed out.

But when we were younger and strong we ripped out old kitchen cabinets and installed new. I've slipcovered chairs. Things like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living