Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2023, 06:44 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times

Advertisements

Yes, the cost of having stuff done, even simple things, can be and many times is quite insane.

I was moving and in a big rush to get packed-up. Dangit, a leak had sprung in my lower-radiator-hose and I did not have the right tool on-hand to do the repair. Well, I said screw it, I will take it to Firestone in this case, since I have so much going on. 400-dollars later, I was kinda regretting my decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2023, 07:40 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
400-dollars later, I was kinda regretting my decision.
It's about Flat Rate Billing ... Do NOT support these shops.
They have given up any expectation of repeat business from you
so therefore have zero motivation to treat you as more than a one shot ATM.

They get away with it because so many are so inept on their own
and how so many who are NOT inept have stopped doing the work in part or in whole.
(commonly it seems choosing to do other non-trade employment altogether)

Old 09-10-2023, 04:20 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,000,279 times
How DIY are you?

I'm good with my hands and I love a challenge. The last projects were:

- to insulate the Jeep with hardtop panels.
- to repair a pair of sandals, they were new but had a defect (made in China) so I had to cut the fake leather, fix them and sew them again. By hand.
- I fixed an old antique silver bracelet. I make jewelry as a hobby so it was not a problem to fix the old bracelet.

It takes time, yes, but I love doing stuff like that.

Old 09-10-2023, 04:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm108 View Post
How DIY are you?
It takes time, yes, but I love doing stuff like that.
today?
  • Getting ready for winter (caulking and painting)
  • Weatherizing outdoor hydrants and farm tanks
  • Winterizing RV
  • Cleaning dry wells for gutters
  • High window washing
  • Moving firewood
  • Replacing brake ccomponents and rubber lines on a 30 YO medium duty truck.
  • Fixed riding mower (1982 JD)
  • getting parts together to rebuild an engine
  • Fixed plumbing issue
  • Replaced some cabinet hinges

Still 5 hrs daylight left, gotta run.

Old 09-10-2023, 10:54 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times
The best thing you can DIY are home cooked meals from healthy real food (not boxed, canned or frozen ready to eat meals). This will save the typical person a fortune compared to dining out or buying prepared / ready to eat meals. In addition, healthy home cooked meals can save the typical person from a lot of medical problems and the accompanying costs of those problems.

Old 09-11-2023, 09:53 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,069,067 times
In my area it's yard work. So many people around here absolutely refuse to do it themselves, especially women, who are totally averse to any kind of manual labor especially if it's outside and makes you sweat. A friend of mine is grousing about not having enough money for a vacation but she pays for someone to mow her lawn twice a month or more at $50 a pop. This is a 7 month job here. She complains that she needs to someone to trim her bushes. All of these things can be DIY.

Old 09-11-2023, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
The best thing you can DIY are home cooked meals from healthy real food (not boxed, canned or frozen ready to eat meals). This will save the typical person a fortune compared to dining out or buying prepared / ready to eat meals. In addition, healthy home cooked meals can save the typical person from a lot of medical problems and the accompanying costs of those problems.
I've been doing this for decades.

Old 09-13-2023, 02:30 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
Apparently, the younger crowd is not diying it as much. https://www.aol.com/lowes-ceo-consum...185459364.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
In my area it's yard work. So many people around here absolutely refuse to do it themselves, especially women, who are totally averse to any kind of manual labor especially if it's outside and makes you sweat. A friend of mine is grousing about not having enough money for a vacation but she pays for someone to mow her lawn twice a month or more at $50 a pop. This is a 7 month job here. She complains that she needs to someone to trim her bushes. All of these things can be DIY.
I don't mow, but I do most of the other landscaping. I mulch and trim bushes and plant flowers and some of the shrubs. I pay someone to trim the trees every few years. I do the basic easier to reach stuff. My landscaping rocks need to be reset, but I will pay someone to do that. My biggest obstacle is the sun and heat.

Old 09-13-2023, 07:08 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
We've DIY'ed most of our lives but electronics have gotten complicated with computer elements added into them.
Luckily retirement and Covid gave me time to enjoy cooking more but I completely understand why parents with jobs and kids use take-out, they don't need to feel guilty about that.

I use power tools, have a table saw and chop saw but not at all interested in making furniture, did make planter boxes for growing veggie and herb plants. That saved money but the important thing is I liked doing this work.

Wouldn't it be great if people could learn skills that they could use for these things?
It's really hard to find classes for some skills. I tried to find woodworking classes 7 years ago when I was getting started. Could not find any. Then I moved, joined a woodworking group that had tools I didn't own but they had no classes back then. I see they are going to start some classes in 2024. I probably won't take them at this point because I've learned on my own.

If a person learned how to cut wood they can make shelves, make closet storage, so many things that cost money and are hard to get a decent woodworker to do because they want BIG jobs.

Last edited by twinkletwinkle22; 09-13-2023 at 07:32 PM..

Old 09-14-2023, 10:58 AM

I was born and raised in a communist country. Believe me, when the time comes when you need something fixed really well, fast and inexpensive... all these force you to come up with new solutions. That's how innovation happens!

Last edited by farm108; 09-14-2023 at 12:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living