Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2023, 07:23 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times

Advertisements

I do everything myself, except now for going on the (2 story) roof, due to my age. As a kid I did much of the work building an addition on our house and had several other part-time jobs working with an uncle that did remodeling. I bought my first car at age 14, for $30 and had it running like a top and looking good by the time I got my permit at 15-1/2. Since then I have done most of the work on our cars including restoring 3 classics, currently finishing a 1973 Nova. I installed a new forced air gas furnace at one house, several water heaters at various houses, toilets and sinks, light fixtures, fences, decks, new cabinets, tile and hardwood floors. I have painted 3 of our houses inside and out, have unclogged sewer lines, installed lawns and sprinkler systems, and replaced windows. I can't imagine how much all of that has saved us over the years, but I really do it because I enjoy it, with the satisfaction of seeing the results of my work. Today that does seem to be lost on people, but I do have a son and a neighbor across the street, both in their mid-30s that are doin the best they can, with some help from me at times. As a director for a county and an Amazon manager, both can afford to have things done by professionals, but like me they have learned to appreciate the results of doing things themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2023, 12:59 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
In July 2022, we upgraded our smartphones. I directly purchased them from Apple’s website, then switched them over from our old phones to our incumbent carrier (T Mobile) myself. Transferred all of the photos, data, etc from our old phones over, in less than 30 minutes. Kept our old numbers and plans.

Saved on T Mobile “support fees” and other hassles.

I enjoy DIY whenever I can, I learn a lot also.
You may have missed out on T-Mobile providing these phones for "free" for staying with them as a carrier.

Old 09-29-2023, 08:15 AM

69 posts, read 27,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I have a feeling that the cost of many services and merchandise in America would be much lower if people here were a little more DIY minded. But it seems that most don't want to be bothered - until they see the bill.

As an example, I was in the car dealership waiting for a part when I overheard a customer complaining about a $500 service charge for having a bulb changed. "I didn't expect it would cost this much!"

The more people are willing to have services "done" for them, the more service providers will increase prices. IMO, the cure for many price increases is to force service people to complete with "almost free" labor.

What is the last project or task around your house that you normally would have called a service company for, or an item that you could have purchased for a high price - that you actually ended up doing or making yourself?

How DIY are you?
I would love to change out my own light fixtures, but I have no electrical training. I watched a few videos and it seems relatively easy, but I still get a little nervous at the thought of me doing it.

I have 4 light fixtures that I need to replace. I received a quote of $1680 from an electrician. This seems very expensive.

Old 09-30-2023, 11:25 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely_SummerNight View Post
I would love to change out my own light fixtures, but I have no electrical training. I watched a few videos and it seems relatively easy, but I still get a little nervous at the thought of me doing it.

I have 4 light fixtures that I need to replace. I received a quote of $1680 from an electrician. This seems very expensive.
Changing out light fixtures is very easy. YouTube will help.
Kill the power at the breaker box and switch.
Don't fall off the ladder (use a very sturdy step stool with a protection rail to hang on to.)

Carry spare plastic wire nuts up the ladder. Some ladders have a tool tray for screwdriver and pliers.

Have a friend stand nearby.
Take them to lunch on the $1600+ you saved.

Old 10-02-2023, 07:14 PM

746 posts, read 493,695 times
Quote:
I have a feeling that the cost of many services and merchandise in America would be much lower if people here were a little more DIY minded. But it seems that most don't want to be bothered - until they see the bill.

As an example, I was in the car dealership waiting for a part when I overheard a customer complaining about a $500 service charge for having a bulb changed. "I didn't expect it would cost this much!"

The more people are willing to have services "done" for them, the more service providers will increase prices. IMO, the cure for many price increases is to force service people to complete with "almost free" labor.

What is the last project or task around your house that you normally would have called a service company for, or an item that you could have purchased for a high price - that you actually ended up doing or making yourself?

How DIY are you?
My husband put a new nozzle on the propane tank when he saw it was leaking. No more leaks
He actually saw it at the dump and grabbed it out a month earlier, just in case he ever needed it

Old 10-30-2023, 09:17 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
With youtube, it is easy to do so many things for one's self. One of the biggest issues today is that so many people feel "entitled" just because they feel they "deserve" what others have whether they can financially afford it or not.

Old 10-30-2023, 09:23 AM

129 posts, read 107,532 times
I wanted to hire out a bathroom remodel but I am going to have to do it with my FIL because the quotes are ridiculous

Old 10-31-2023, 06:01 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Youtube will help you decide if you want to do something or if you want to hire it out. Truck needed a starter, I've done them before. I literally came home from a few weeks in Europe, had a bunch of stuff to do and had recently moved (tools are all in the garage but the garage isn't set up the way the old garage was (ready to work). I watched the video, decided "not today" and had it done, the labor was $150 and it was a no brainer when I drove away 2 hours later with my truck fixed!

I needed to get going that week and if for whatever reason it didn't get completed the labor costs would be the same but I'd have to pay a tow bill to get it there........risk wasn't worth the savings. If it was a Friday and I had all day Saturday to mess with it then maybe.

I got a 200K remodeling quote on my house. Very easy to delete line item stuff I didn't want to pay for or I could do. In the end I decided to sell the house and buy a brand new one nearby. It was way way way easier to just start new.

Old 11-02-2023, 12:53 PM

14,451 posts, read 20,630,704 times
Quote:
How DIY are you?
When something breaks or no longer works we first ask if we can we do the repair ourselves or replace it ourselves?
Next we look around for online help from forums which exist for many topics.
"Last" of all and if we are desperate only then do we consider professional service people.

Old 12-04-2023, 03:58 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,035,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely_SummerNight View Post

I think that is very expensive. Shop around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living