Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 09:03 PM

2,623 posts, read 3,156,396 times

Advertisements

If you think electrical work is high now, it is about to get a lot higher in 2025, at least in NC. New code takes effect. More circuits will require arc fault and/or ground fault protection. Some 3 phase equipment in restaurants will require expensive 3 phase control panels, for 1 small example. May drive smaller places out of business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2024, 06:55 AM

1,923 posts, read 1,288,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
If you think electrical work is high now, it is about to get a lot higher in 2025, at least in NC. New code takes effect. More circuits will require arc fault and/or ground fault protection. Some 3 phase equipment in restaurants will require expensive 3 phase control panels, for 1 small example. May drive smaller places out of business.
I was a pipe welder for 15 years. I have a desk job now, but I still weld on the side for my own small business. It is surprising how much people will pay for my skills these days. I don't charge an obnoxious amount, but I need to get paid. Skilled trades are in very high demand now. And many people are willing to pay a premium.

Old 04-17-2024, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
I was a pipe welder for 15 years. I have a desk job now, but I still weld on the side for my own small business. It is surprising how much people will pay for my skills these days. I don't charge an obnoxious amount, but I need to get paid. Skilled trades are in very high demand now. And many people are willing to pay a premium.
I've always loved to watch people weld. Done very little myself, with supervision. A good welder is a scientist and artist in one. Glad you can still make some profit from it. I still keep my electrical license, just in case, but don't have time or energy to do much side work. I work 3rd shift, then sleep all day to recover from it. Just did my continuing ed and will renew my license in June.

Old 04-17-2024, 10:27 PM

1,971 posts, read 2,241,466 times
The utlimate DYI frugal hack is cooking.

I am shocked today at what restaurants charge for a simple meal. Lunch today for 2 was $150 all-in (fancy restaurant in Florida).

I could have made the meal and cocktails for $20 easily, maybe two hours of prep/ cooking. Nothing was complex. Easily replicated.

We are paying people too much for simple tasks.

Old 04-18-2024, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post

I am shocked today at what restaurants charge for a simple meal. Lunch today for 2 was $150 all-in (fancy restaurant in Florida).

I could have made the meal and cocktails for $20 easily, maybe two hours of prep/ cooking. Nothing was complex. Easily replicated.

Restaurant meals will keep going up as the cost of doing business increases. Their equipment is out of this world, has been for years. Rents in malls and shopping centers is high. Energy costs more than ever.

Old 04-18-2024, 01:32 PM

1,923 posts, read 1,288,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
I've always loved to watch people weld. Done very little myself, with supervision. A good welder is a scientist and artist in one. Glad you can still make some profit from it. I still keep my electrical license, just in case, but don't have time or energy to do much side work. I work 3rd shift, then sleep all day to recover from it. Just did my continuing ed and will renew my license in June.
Welding is definitely fun and extremely useful. Corporate America took the joy out of it for me. So I just do it for myself now. I am now enjoying it again, just like I did in community college. Same here, I keep my certifications up to date, just in case.

Quote:

I just don't eat out anymore (ok, maybe twice a year with friends, if that). Restaurant prices have been high for several years now. But $150 for two people is obnoxious.

Old 04-19-2024, 08:44 AM

7,911 posts, read 3,885,814 times
Quote:

Most of the increase in prices in casual restaurants is because of a huge jump in raw materials pricing relative to pre-pandemic.

Old 04-19-2024, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Same here, but I take a certain amount of male pride in making minor repairs to a washing machine or electronic device, or changing a light fixture. And I know I'm saving the planet by making some repairs instead of throwing an item into the waste stream!
I'm with you.

One thing that grates on my nerves is replacement of tank-style water heaters.

A tank-style water heater can last a lifetime if you maintain it correctly. All you need to do is drain a few gallons of water every quarter to flush out sediment by attaching a garden hose and opening the drain spigot. And, every 5 years or so, replace the sacrificial anode rod for about $35-$45 (special order from Home Depot or in stock at any plumbing supply store). It takes a half hour to do the work and there are dozens of Youtube videos showing you how.

Far too many people ignore their water heater and once that sacrificial anode rod has been consumed the tank will spring a leak - and they then pay someone $1500 or $2000 to replace that water heater, which ends up in the dump.

If you maintain that tank-style water heater, it will last a VERY long time.

OR, the thermopile for the pilot light will fail - and that's about a $10 part. Instead, they call a water heater company that replaces the entire water heater.

Old 04-19-2024, 08:57 AM

I epoxy coated my 1100 sf garage by myself. It was a fun project, saving THOUSANDS of dollars. The geometric design is appropriate for the house, which is very modern & geometric as well.

Old 04-19-2024, 09:01 AM

One last comment: a standard water softener is a remarkably simple machine. I see people hire someone to install a water softener for $2500 or more.

I just buy the parts myself and assemble it myself for a small fraction of that price. Over the internet I source extremely high quality & efficient ion exchange resin, the resin tank, brine tank, and a controller. The installation takes me about an hour and a half for me (a pro would do it in half that time). I've done this on all my homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living