Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 02:17 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,662,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
If my income were so high it made me carefree about paying someone to change out my lightbulbs I would instead save that money and use it to fix my bad knees. Just me though.
My husband can’t have his knees fixed because of another medical condition, income doesn’t always play a part in these decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 06:33 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
How much is your time worth? I remember one example from about 20 years ago: "It makes no sense to mow your lawn if you can hire someone to do it for $10 an hour when you could earn $20 making sales calls. Unless, of course, you enjoy mowing the lawn."

Old 06-09-2019, 06:51 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Believe it or not, in some other places where you do not live or have renters, some tenants do indeed go about paying to install things and fix up their places at their own expense, and sometimes these are lower income (probably not too often lowest income). Yes, some people out there do give a flip about things even when those things are not owned by them.
My son does that. Last month he informed his landlord that he replaced the toilet tank parts. The guy didn't even spot him the cost of the parts, let alone any of the money that he saved by not having to hire someone to do it. The cheapskate could have knocked $20 off of the rent since the parts were ten dollars and change.

Son asked him if he'd provide a screen door for the slider. He was willing to replace the damaged track out-of-pocket and install it. Nope. It wasn't required. There will be a screen because my son wants one. This landlord seems to be a slumlord. I goes both ways.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:30 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My son does that. Last month he informed his landlord that he replaced the toilet tank parts. The guy didn't even spot him the cost of the parts, let alone any of the money that he saved by not having to hire someone to do it. The cheapskate could have knocked $20 off of the rent since the parts were ten dollars and change.

Son asked him if he'd provide a screen door for the slider. He was willing to replace the damaged track out-of-pocket and install it. Nope. It wasn't required. There will be a screen because my son wants one. This landlord seems to be a slumlord. I goes both ways.
There are legal and liability issues involved, and in today's litigious climate, that is a prudent stance for the landlord. Joe fix-it replaces a wall socket, the landlord pays and approves. Joe then fixes one over the tub and is electrocuted. Guess who is on the hook?

Old 06-10-2019, 12:29 AM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
There are legal and liability issues involved, and in today's litigious climate, that is a prudent stance for the landlord. Joe fix-it replaces a wall socket, the landlord pays and approves. Joe then fixes one over the tub and is electrocuted. Guess who is on the hook?
I understand that, but the toilet tank and a screen? He's just cheap.

Old 06-10-2019, 04:31 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I understand that, but the toilet tank and a screen? He's just cheap.
The two considerations are not mutually exclusive. Not defending cheapness, but many people who have had tenants have been burned, time and again, and have learned to say no as a matter of course.

Old 06-10-2019, 04:52 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,761,708 times
My well pump went out a couple of weeks ago. It would have cost around 1500 dollars to hire the well guy to replace it. It cost me 600 dollars DIY and about 6 hours of work (plus a lot of frustration ).

That works out to 150 dollars per hour in savings.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:05 AM

1,112 posts, read 883,343 times
I just finished making a blanket....AKA as a quilt....materials costs 400$....50 hours of my labor....quilting service..$300. My DIY! Next?

Old 06-10-2019, 06:41 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
How much is your time worth? I remember one example from about 20 years ago: "It makes no sense to mow your lawn if you can hire someone to do it for $10 an hour when you could earn $20 making sales calls. Unless, of course, you enjoy mowing the lawn."
Yes, but few of us are in that position. I was salaried almost all of my life; the exception was one small consulting firm where I was paid a % of what was billed and collected, but there was not an infinite number of billable hours you could work. There can be indirect benefits from working more hours of course- new business generated from sales calls, promotions as you gain more experience. I hired a next-door neighbor (who needed the money!) to clean my apartment in my first job out of college so I could go to the library on Saturdays and study for actuarial exams! In DS' early years we had a cleaning lady because my Ex was a clean freak and also so I could spend more time with DS on the weekends.

I'm retired now, though. I think of the savings in terms of what I get to spend on travel because I clean my own house and mow my own lawn.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:34 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post

That math only applies if you are actually doing sales calls and earning $20 an hour while the $10 an hour guy is mowing.

Otherwise you are paying the $10 guy while your "valuable time" is not actually earning anything at all for that hour.

If you don't want to mow the lawn and you can afford to pay to have it done, there is no problem with that. But to claim that your time is worth too much, while you sit on the couch watching TV is bogus.

Some people don't like to mow and the landscaper has to make a living, too. Pay to have the lawn mowed if that is what you want to do. It is rarely true that paying the landscaper is making you money. Not impossible, but not all that likely, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living