Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 06:40 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I am forced to watch my money.

I can't even imagine spending $30 on a bottle of nail polish!! (and I have and have had for many, many years - long beautiful nails) - I buy drugstore brands. .
She didn't say $30 a bottle. She said $30 a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 06:42 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,376,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destar Menen View Post
-I don't go out unless im invited and the person who has invited me makes it clear its on them otherwise I spends my weekends at home
?
Honestly, that's just not very nice. I had a cheap friend like that, who would never go out with friends unless they offered to pay. Eventually we all got sick of paying for her. And her attitude that we needed to pay for her company or else she wouldn't see us, seemed almost like a form of prostitution. We are no longer inviting her out. I don't know who is paying her way now. The fact is that none of us (me and my friends) have to buy anyone's companionship.

Old 09-25-2019, 04:00 AM

27 posts, read 16,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Not sure you understood my post. Why wear your hair like that?? Get rid of the dreads and the expense of a salon.

Well im not willing to go bald.... dreadlocks are the cheapest hairstyle I can do, way better than spending on wigs and weaves and chemical hair relaxers. Ill stick to my natural hair thank you. but I need it styled to look "presentable as they call it" for work

Old 09-25-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destar Menen View Post
Well im not willing to go bald.... dreadlocks are the cheapest hairstyle I can do, way better than spending on wigs and weaves and chemical hair relaxers. Ill stick to my natural hair thank you. but I need it styled to look "presentable as they call it" for work
I know several black women in the corporate world that do not ( and would not ever) wear dreads. They have SHORT hair. And it looks very nice. No salon styling needed.

Old 09-25-2019, 12:08 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Nail-polish, that sounds nightmarishly extravagant to me!!!!!

Old 09-25-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
$30 a year? I probably don’t even average one bottle a year...but even so that would be close to $10. So $20 extra a year is “ nightmarishly extravagant”?? Really?

Old 09-25-2019, 02:09 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Silly guy. I can't stand the smell of polish and especially the brain cell killing remover junk, so I don't do that often, but I'm still female and once had a Barbie doll. It's an option.

Old 09-25-2019, 07:25 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
It's funny how some boast about saving on small expenses like grooming or clothing. But the big bucks are housing, transportation (Americans probably outspend all others on that), health care, insurance. True cheapskates economize on the big things as well.

Old 09-26-2019, 04:52 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
I'm going cheap on my current work shoes for a blue collar gig....from Walmart....about $25.
But I've been very white collar corporate and will be going back to that soon, so NOT skimping on those shoes...about an average of $50 a pair. Although that's still very inexpensive compared to what others spend on shoes....

And as with every other thread related to this topic....people are frugal when it comes to some things, and not frugal with others. Many times it just depends on what they value more, and which types of things they're willing to shop around and save on...and which things they're not. The same person who won't spend money on a good meal, might spend $300 on a handbag, and the person who spends money on personal grooming, may drive a hooptie.

Old 09-26-2019, 04:45 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
It's funny how some boast about saving on small expenses like grooming or clothing. But the big bucks are housing, transportation (Americans probably outspend all others on that), health care, insurance. True cheapskates economize on the big things as well.
I bought a used car (cash) in 2013. It's in great shape. I don't drive a lot, so maintenance is pretty low.

My husband was career military and my Tricare insurance is inexpensive.

I just moved to a smaller, cheaper place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living