Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 08:37 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times

Advertisements

You really can often save a lot of money by getting new quotes for auto and homeowner's insurance every year or two. A lot of the big players seem to rely on inertia and that you'll just pay a much higher bill when the renewal comes due
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2019, 10:26 PM

7,034 posts, read 6,287,208 times
One of the things I love about this forum is that we can learn from each other and incorporate ideas into our own lives.

Old 10-07-2019, 11:37 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
My job is 18 miles from home. I live in a more rural subdivision so no public transportation and certainly walking is not practical. I would lose my mind if I could not hop in my car and go wherever...going without would not work for me at all. My son is 5 hours away. My sis is 5 hours away. My bro is 7 hours away. And my BF is 54 miles from me. A reliable car is necessary in my life.

Credit cards are most convenient- has nothing to do with being frugal. I carry no balances ever.

If I buy coffee out, it’s at Wawa or 7-11...and that is maybe once a month. Very inexpensive.

Maintaining new separate email accounts is not worth my time. No thanks. I prefer to have an actual subscription. No worries or problems ever.

I do lots of things on the weekends and travel as often as I can. I would be miserable stuck at home all the time. No thanks.

I have carried my lunch to work for more than 20 years. Never eat out for lunch.

I definitely eat out less than once a week!

I sew to repair things or for a craft project. That’s it.

Why in the world would I ever pay someone to style my hair??? I get haircuts only, maybe twice a year.

Never had fake nails, I polish them at home.

I don’t buy clothes at thrift stores. BF does....but that is not for me

I don’t do face masks as a routine. I’ll buy a product if I want to do one.

I don’t consider myself a cheapskate at all.

Your not a cheapskate, Chessie. You have good, sound, well thought out ideas...

Old 10-12-2019, 11:02 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times
I make my own booze/weed to recipicate and buy things in bulk and have people over. If people want to go out and pay for ambiance they know that thats not my thing and that im not going to pay for it but if they want to come over I am fully stocked. It is a little eye opening how many people just like being served and are willing to pay through the nose for it, its a forign concept to me.

Old 10-13-2019, 02:03 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
I'm not a cheapskate. I'm just boring and I hate shopping.

I have like 20 - 25 of the exact same embroidered top, just in different colors. I just look to see if they make it in a new color and buy 2 or 3 more.

I don't have a flat screen TV because my old one isn't broken yet. 24 Year old Samsung and still going strong. I call it Shopping Avoidance. I need to be forced to shop and when I do, it will be another Samsung. Me to salesperson will be, "Just give me the newest Samsung and whatever I need to make it work."

I bought the exact same car I had traded in except in a different color (and of course a newer year) just because it's easy for me to get in and out of with my leg problems and because I didn't have to shop for a new one and because I'm boring. Said to the sales person, "Just give me the same car but new. How much?" He didn't even have to get up from his desk but he did.

I do not have a smartphone. I have a dumb one. If it breaks (or I accidentally put it in the washing machine in my pants pocket like the last one), I'll buy a smartphone. I rarely use it but don't have a landline. Can't see me playing games or watching a movie on an itty bitty screen when I have a 24 inch monitor with my PC. I go cold turkey when I take a 2 week road trip - no Internet and surprisingly, don't miss it but I want some phone with me in case I have car trouble.

I have a photography hobby. I buy the same Nikon camera and just the new model when the same series comes out with a new one. I have a few of them (same series) so I'm not cheap. This way, you guessed it, I don't have to shop. Upgrading by changing to a different series would mean I'd have to shop.

I don't have a lot of stuff in my home (2b, 2b apartment) because of the afore mentioned leg problems. I don't want to trip over things like a coffee table, the lip on a fireplace, a magazine rack, a plant, a pet, etc. Besides, if I wanted new furniture just for a different look, I'd have to you know what.

Old 10-13-2019, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm not a cheapskate. I'm just boring and I hate shopping.

I have like 20 - 25 of the exact same embroidered top, just in different colors. I just look to see if they make it in a new color and buy 2 or 3 more.

I don't have a flat screen TV because my old one isn't broken yet. 24 Year old Samsung and still going strong. I call it Shopping Avoidance. I need to be forced to shop and when I do, it will be another Samsung. Me to salesperson will be, "Just give me the newest Samsung and whatever I need to make it work."

I bought the exact same car I had traded in except in a different color (and of course a newer year) just because it's easy for me to get in and out of with my leg problems and because I didn't have to shop for a new one and because I'm boring. Said to the sales person, "Just give me the same car but new. How much?" He didn't even have to get up from his desk but he did.

I do not have a smartphone. I have a dumb one. If it breaks (or I accidentally put it in the washing machine in my pants pocket like the last one), I'll buy a smartphone. I rarely use it but don't have a landline. Can't see me playing games or watching a movie on an itty bitty screen when I have a 24 inch monitor with my PC. I go cold turkey when I take a 2 week road trip - no Internet and surprisingly, don't miss it but I want some phone with me in case I have car trouble.

I have a photography hobby. I buy the same Nikon camera and just the new model when the same series comes out with a new one. I have a few of them (same series) so I'm not cheap. This way, you guessed it, I don't have to shop. Upgrading by changing to a different series would mean I'd have to shop.

I don't have a lot of stuff in my home (2b, 2b apartment) because of the afore mentioned leg problems. I don't want to trip over things like a coffee table, the lip on a fireplace, a magazine rack, a plant, a pet, etc. Besides, if I wanted new furniture just for a different look, I'd have to you know what.
Certian things can actually cost you more in the long run by not having them. I love my smart phone, I can get information quickly and conduct business on it. A nice lap top will better enable you to run a side business.

Trading in cars all the time is a fools errand, I only trade in when its become apparent that repairs are about to start getting really expensive (as a mechanic I know the signs).

Rent is what kills low income people, rent is what keeps low income people poor.

Old 10-13-2019, 06:13 AM

37,589 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Certian things can actually cost you more in the long run by not having them. I love my smart phone, I can get information quickly and conduct business on it. A nice lap top will better enable you to run a side business.

Trading in cars all the time is a fools errand, I only trade in when its become apparent that repairs are about to start getting really expensive (as a mechanic I know the signs).

Rent is what kills low income people, rent is what keeps low income people poor.
She said nothing about trading in cars "all the time".

Old 10-13-2019, 10:36 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
I love my smartphone on road trips and other vacations. Want route information and real time traffic data? It can keep me from getting stuck in one of those epic I-75 traffic accident jams that always seem to happen in the vicinity of Ocala. Need to know where the good cheap eats or grocery store with good takeout sections are in a strange town? The phone lets me know. Is Delta playing departure gate ping pong in ATL again? Their push messages to my phone greatly reduce the odds I'll miss my connection due to my own inattention.

It's an iPhone but it's 3.5 years old at this point still runs like new and does everything I want or need it to do, and I've only ever had to pay for a $50 battery replacement in terms of additional costs.

Old 10-13-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I love my smartphone on road trips and other vacations. Want route information and real time traffic data? It can keep me from getting stuck in one of those epic I-75 traffic accident jams that always seem to happen in the vicinity of Ocala. Need to know where the good cheap eats or grocery store with good takeout sections are in a strange town? The phone lets me know. Is Delta playing departure gate ping pong in ATL again? Their push messages to my phone greatly reduce the odds I'll miss my connection due to my own inattention.

It's an iPhone but it's 3.5 years old at this point still runs like new and does everything I want or need it to do, and I've only ever had to pay for a $50 battery replacement in terms of additional costs.
I agree, I still use a 6s I think its about the same age.

Old 10-13-2019, 08:26 PM

37,589 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
I agree, I still use a 6s I think its about the same age.
I have a 6s but it's actually a little less than a year old. I bought a new one in Dec 2018, it went wonky in Jan 2019 and they replaced it with a new one. I won't buy a new one for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living