Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 09:06 PM

3,689 posts, read 2,410,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RME40 View Post
Here is what I'm doing to cut the cable. I use paid services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney Plus and Hulu.

However, there are free streaming websites out there and here is my list:
• hdm.to
• yifymovies.tv
• azm.to
• myflixer.com
• kat.tv
• flixtor.to

How are you guys cutting the cable?
Youtube and torrents.

Cable is an over-priced rip-off in many parts of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 10:34 AM

20,378 posts, read 14,651,390 times
I just made the decision to really dig in and analyze my options for replacing cable TV with something more cost effective. I currently have a bundle for high speed internet and "starter" cable (which is the 3rd tier out of 6 service tiers offered by Xfinity/Comcast in my area.) I'm sick to death of 140+ channels of almost nothing I care about. We probably watch 5 of them or less with any regularity at all. I pay them almost $200/month for my internet and TV. I first examined my bill and compared it to what I'll pay if I get rid of TV but keep the internet at the same service level. It is $75.10 that will go away if I ditch cable and keep internet as-is. I won't get into any evaluation of my internet service options at the moment, I'm focusing on TV right now.

I do want to replace the cable boxes, and have chosen Roku for that. And I do want a replacement channel package to give us some of the things we really do want to keep watching. I've chosen Sling Blue for that. I'm keeping some of my other ancillary streaming services, and I've made a note of various free programming apps for Roku and small-beans monthly subscription cost channels that may be of interest later. Right now, I've got about an up front cost of $80 for 2 Roku devices, and a savings of about $40/month with the changes I plan to make.

I've got a couple of questions for those who are familiar with Roku and SlingTV.

SlingTV users: The subscription prices that they give, like $30 for Orange or Blue, $45 for both, add ons, etc. Are there additional hidden costs, taxes, fees, etc that get tacked onto your bill? And if so, about how much? (I know that local taxes vary, just trying to see what experiences others have had.)

Roku: The high end models have expandable storage with microSD or USB for additional apps. Has anyone actually found that they have run out of storage space on their Roku? Is that a realistic enough possibility to warrant spending more for that feature in a Roku?

Appreciate any input that anyone has on the subject! Thanks!

Old 05-08-2020, 10:50 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,197,756 times
By the time you go with a cable packager like Sling, especially if you keep Netflix and Hulu and so forth, not to mention a few sports packages, you probably aren't saving any money. You may even be spending more.

The place to start is whether you really need those packaged channels at all, or whether they're a habit you can drop or find free/cheaper replacements for. Most 'mid tier' channel offerings end up on one of the streaming sources eventually; you can just wait a season on most things to watch them at no extra cost. Is it worth, for example, keeping a package including AMC because they have two shows you like... and can watch on Hulu with some delay?

But in any case, streaming has the indisputable value of choice — even with most mid-tier channels having gotten co-opted by the packagers instead of continuing the trend to independent availability, you can choose exactly what you want, turn it on and off like a light switch, and be utterly free of the jerking around cable companies do with packages, rates, offerings and even such things as channel roulette.

I suggest three basic things:
  1. Switch to the best deal in internet service you have available, regardless of what their "cable" or ancilliary services might be. This lets you choose small, net-only providers and probably a cheaper overall service.
  2. Really 1a — evaluate your real household needs and you will probably find you can go with the cheapest tier of internet service; very, very few households need more than the 40-50mpbs that is the base/econo offering from most providers these days. Don't waste money on supe-speeds that are largely phantom and useless.
  3. Get a Roku. Preferred over Fire because they aren't tied to any other corporate control; Amazon still jerks other providers and availability around for corporate gamesmanship reasons. Roku is and always has been neutral and the providers love to be a part of their lineup.
  4. Try to live with what OTA channels you can receive, free streaming and selected pay streamers WITHOUT going right to a package deal. You may be surprised.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Youtube and torrents.

Cable is an over-priced rip-off in many parts of the country.
And torrents are freedom, justice and the American way.

Old 05-08-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
By the time you go with a cable packager like Sling, especially if you keep Netflix and Hulu and so forth, not to mention a few sports packages, you probably aren't saving any money. You may even be spending more.

The place to start is whether you really need those packaged channels at all, or whether they're a habit you can drop or find free/cheaper replacements for. Most 'mid tier' channel offerings end up on one of the streaming sources eventually; you can just wait a season on most things to watch them at no extra cost. Is it worth, for example, keeping a package including AMC because they have two shows you like... and can watch on Hulu with some delay?

But in any case, streaming has the indisputable value of choice — even with most mid-tier channels having gotten co-opted by the packagers instead of continuing the trend to independent availability, you can choose exactly what you want, turn it on and off like a light switch, and be utterly free of the jerking around cable companies do with packages, rates, offerings and even such things as channel roulette.

I suggest three basic things:
  1. Switch to the best deal in internet service you have available, regardless of what their "cable" or ancilliary services might be. This lets you choose small, net-only providers and probably a cheaper overall service.
  2. Really 1a — evaluate your real household needs and you will probably find you can go with the cheapest tier of internet service; very, very few households need more than the 40-50mpbs that is the base/econo offering from most providers these days. Don't waste money on supe-speeds that are largely phantom and useless.
  3. Get a Roku. Preferred over Fire because they aren't tied to any other corporate control; Amazon still jerks other providers and availability around for corporate gamesmanship reasons. Roku is and always has been neutral and the providers love to be a part of their lineup.
  4. Try to live with what OTA channels you can receive, free streaming and selected pay streamers WITHOUT going right to a package deal. You may be surprised.

*sigh*

No answers to the actual questions I had?

I built a whole spreadsheet. I could break it down for you with all of the exact numbers, to prove that I'm going to save $40/month, and still get what I want, with the choice that I have made. I have actual tables listing EVERY channel that I get with Comcast, I pulled out which ones I even care about, analyzed which alternate paid channel services have which of them, and investigated if any of the ones I really want can be had as standalone subscriptions. Do you REALLY want this to get all into those weeds?

I don't judge you for what you like to watch on TV. I like SyFy, FX and Cartoon Network. Get off my back about it, dude. I'm seeking more cost effective solutions, and I like this one.

To get rid of the Xfinity channel package that runs me $75.10 with all of its associated monthly costs, and replace it with something that has the channels I actually do care about enough to pay for, I compared:

YouTube TV: 49.99/month
Hulu+LiveTV: $54.99-60.99 (with or without ads)
Philo: $20 (but doesn't have channels I wanted.)
fuboTV: $55 (sports focused, doesn't have channels I want)
AT&T TV Now: $55-80 (based on channel lineup; too expensive)
SlingTV: $30+...I'm happy with the Blue channel lineup, at $30, plus the cloud DVR makes it $35

You mention the add-ons. I won't be adding sports packages, I don't give a crap about sports. I already have Netflix and Amazon Prime, so there is no net change there. I didn't include those costs in my Comcast/Sling comparison. Unchanged. I'm getting Disney+ and Hulu as a package deal for $12.99/month, but I'm dropping HBO at $15/month, so I'm saving a little there. I tend to subscribe and cancel with no contracts or commitments, as shows I'm interested in watching come and go.

This is all so much easier to see on my spreadsheet--but the point is, I've given it thought and done my homework and do not need you to tell me what I should do instead, THANKS. I was just trying to avoid doing this...writing out a whole novel about it.

So I've actually gone and found answers to my question about SlingTV. No, unless there is a sales tax, which won't be a big addition, there are no hidden extra fees that SlingTV tacks on.

So anybody got thoughts on whether the more expensive Roku is worth it? Mostly in terms of the expandable storage? I don't have higher than 1080p rez TVs at this point in time, and I don't care about the headphones or headphone jack remotes that much. Really seems like the biggest ?? for me is whether I'm likely to find enough cool stuff that my onboard storage on a Roku might fill up...Roku owners, your thoughts on that?

Old 05-08-2020, 12:21 PM

Sorry, I only gave public seminars on this for about two years and learned what 95% of the curious wanted to know; that's my standard answer.

I don't believe any of the cable packagers have any hidden fees. Possibly sales tax in some jurisdictions. You could, you know, ask them.

Roku's don't have 'onboard storage' and I believe they can handle hundreds of apps, far more than any one user could really want. You don't seem to understand how they work: they are a buffered digital tuner, not a DVR.

IMO, the only choice is the Ultra, available for about $75 discount. The stick versions are better only for portability.

Did you have any other question?

Old 05-08-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I only gave public seminars on this for about two years and learned what 95% of the curious wanted to know; that's my standard answer.

I don't believe any of the cable packagers have any hidden fees. Possibly sales tax in some jurisdictions. You could, you know, ask them.

Roku's don't have 'onboard storage' and I believe they can handle hundreds of apps, far more than any one user could really want. You don't seem to understand how they work: they are a buffered digital tuner, not a DVR.

IMO, the only choice is the Ultra, available for about $75 discount. The stick versions are better only for portability.

Did you have any other question?
At this point, having (as I said) found out the answer to my question about hidden fees/taxes, I am pretty much trying to make a decision on Roku devices.

They have the Express, the Premiere, the Streaming Stick, and the Ultra, most of which come in two different versions in the current model year, and the main difference between them appears to be whether they come with a "simple" remote, or a more complex one (with voice controls/ability to control one's TV, or at the top level a headphone jack and headphones.) I'm not interested in having a fancier remote so much and very much don't care about headphones.

Pretty simple research on the most recent generation of Roku devices indicates that indeed they do have onboard storage capacity which can run out of space, if you have enough channels (apps, basically) loaded onto them. Just like apps on your phone take up space, so do apps on a Roku. Also, there was a bug with Express models giving the "out of space" error, but a firmware update seems to have solved that. You say that the "only choice" is the Ultra, yet the main reason I'd even consider them (Ultra LT or Ultra), which are at a significantly higher price point than other models, is that they have microSD and USB...though what I read here:

https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/...w-you-could-do

...indicated that only the microSD is for expanding app storage, the USB is for accessing personal media, which you can also easily do with certain apps that facilitate wireless access to a media server.

The Ultra LT retails for 79.99 and has the microSD, the Ultra retails at 99.99 and has both ports.

As for the streaming stick being only useful for portability? I'd say that with 3 different options presently sitting at the 39.99 price point whether on sale or MSRP right now, according to Roku's own website, the Streaming Stick + is the best of them, because it's the first one as you climb the tiers of quality/price, that has the long range wifi. The other 2 at that price lack that feature, and the Express+ also cannot handle 4K/HDR (which will only matter if at some point I upgrade my TV.)

I appreciate that you gave seminars. Lots of people give seminars. If your seminars were speaking to 95% of people who were motivated to simply be as frugal as possible, or some other goal, that's great. I have no idea who was paying you to speak, or the agenda of your seminars, at all. But as millions of cable subscribers attest, there is a market grid where what a consumer wants, must meet with what they're willing to pay. I'm willing to pay to continue having several of my favorite channels and their associated programming. I'm just looking for ways to pay LESS than I've been doing. I've got that worked out, I think.

If we're sharing credentials, I'm a data scientist who conducts research and analyzes the results both professionally and for fun. Part of the bit I get paid for, is utility cost analytics. I believe that you know things. I also know things.

What I'm querying others on, is whether anyone else who uses Roku has had any issue where they wished they had more app storage on the thing. Any reason to pay more for the Ultra, to have that microSD slot? I assume you're voting "no" (although you seem to think I need the Ultra for some other reason?) I had another friend say "no".... So 2 votes no on the usefulness of the microSD slot?

(EDIT: Correction to self~ The prices I've been comparing are for last year's models, the 2019s. Not the 2020 ones, which for the most part cost more than I want to pay at this time.)

Old 05-08-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
What I'm querying others on, is whether anyone else who uses Roku has had any issue where they wished they had more app storage on the thing. Any reason to pay more for the Ultra, to have that microSD slot?
I seriously doubt anyone needs the extra storage.

The Ultra is only a few dollars more than the other models, has that slot if you ever find some use for it, handles 4K, has fast menuing and operation and allows both wireless and wired operation — and I am an adamant proponent of wired connections for video gear. Nothing about the other models really makes saving $20 or so worthwhile.

As for year-to-year models, I can't imagine it making any difference. My first Roku was a II; other than being a little slow in menu reaction by today's standards, it's still working fine at a friend's house. One of the main advantages of a standalone Roku (over most other makes and anything built into a TV) is that apps and firmware are continually updated. Any slight differences between this year and last year is likely irrelevant marketing points.

The remote is nice, but most users will want to use an integrated TV/amp/soundbar/disc player/Roku remote. I wouldn't make it a basis for decision in any case.

Old 05-11-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I seriously doubt anyone needs the extra storage.

The Ultra is only a few dollars more than the other models, has that slot if you ever find some use for it, handles 4K, has fast menuing and operation and allows both wireless and wired operation — and I am an adamant proponent of wired connections for video gear. Nothing about the other models really makes saving $20 or so worthwhile.

As for year-to-year models, I can't imagine it making any difference. My first Roku was a II; other than being a little slow in menu reaction by today's standards, it's still working fine at a friend's house. One of the main advantages of a standalone Roku (over most other makes and anything built into a TV) is that apps and firmware are continually updated. Any slight differences between this year and last year is likely irrelevant marketing points.

The remote is nice, but most users will want to use an integrated TV/amp/soundbar/disc player/Roku remote. I wouldn't make it a basis for decision in any case.
I do not have the ability in my home space, to run ethernet cable to all devices. One of the 3 TVs will be able to wire directly to the router, the other 2 have to use the wifi.

As for 4K, we don't have a 4K, I think the highest definition in the house is 1080p, but it's possible we might upgrade somewhere down the line. The only units that don't support the 4K and all, are the Express models. And I believe the jump in processor quality that makes a difference in terms of fast menu navigation also happens anywhere above the Express.

Devices listed on the Roku site for spec comparison:
Roku Express: $24.99
Roku Express+: $39.99 (better remote w/voice + TV controls)
Roku Premiere: $39.99 (better processor & 4K, simple remote)
Roku Streaming Stick+: $39.99 on backorder (4K, voice remote, better wifi receiver, different form factor, cannot get signal from many universal remotes, though.)
Roku Streaming Stick+HE: $59.99 (same as other Stick but with the headphone remote)
Roku Ultra LT: $79.99 (all of the above perks, plus a microSD slot & Ethernet port)
Roku Ultra: $99.99 (all of the above, plus a USB port and "premium" headphones)

(The headphones plug into the remote control, if anyone cares about that. I don't.)

So it can be more than a few, or 20 bucks more, depending on what you're comparing to what.

I got an Express, a Premiere, and an Ultra, since I have 3 TVs I figured I'd test run different types. I didn't feel too groovy about the stick w/ headphones for $59.99 and might have considered the regular stick but it was on backorder and I didn't want to wait longer for it. If there are any notable differences I think that people ought to know, I'll report back.

(Other people I asked elsewhere gave me the same answer about the storage space for apps, by the way. Probably not really necessary.)

Old 05-11-2020, 06:38 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
I've been considering it since I pay $160/month for Directv. It would save a ton of money but I do have the tv on pretty much all the time when I'm home, especially these days. One of the biggest things holding me back is that I have wireless headphones that I sometimes wear while listening. It's great especially for Music Choice. They won't connect to my Firestick (older flat screen, not a smart tv). I have debated getting Roku but I think I would still have the headphone issue.

Very tempting but one expense I can't bring myself to cut right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living