Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 09:15 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times

Advertisements

Why on earth would adding healthcare add $1,500 per month?!? Jesus are you hooked up to a life support system or something? I am paying for the best healthcare available despite absolutely never using it, haven’t seen a doctor in so many years I can’t even remember when it was, and it still only costs $630/month for two people. Before ObamaCare my insurance was only $90/month for my high deductible insurance. I think more people could benefit from something like that because I swear so many young people visit the doctor like it’s a movie theater. It should be a rare time you need to see a doctor, not like a standing weekly appointment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2020, 09:20 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Why on earth would adding healthcare add $1,500 per month?!? Jesus are you hooked up to a life support system or something? I am paying for the best healthcare available despite absolutely never using it, haven’t seen a doctor in so many years I can’t even remember when it was, and it still only costs $630/month for two people. Before ObamaCare my insurance was only $90/month for my high deductible insurance. I think more people could benefit from something like that because I swear so many young people visit the doctor like it’s a movie theater. It should be a rare time you need to see a doctor, not like a standing weekly appointment.
Your ignorance is showing with this nonsensical thread like this.

Old 04-04-2020, 05:16 AM

3,531 posts, read 3,733,370 times
After the last recession, I was trying to play catch-up with investing, so that is where I put a lot of my money, figuring that that was the big one. Yet here we are again with the potential for this to be even worse. Now I am thinking of heavily going toward taking a minimum of 30% of my take-home income to put into a pure savings account for the rest of my career, no questions asked. Period. I have had all of the "new normal" I can take and if each new downturn is going to be as severe and all-encompassing as these two, then the old standards no longer apply. Inflation considerations? ... to the woodshed with that notion for that 30% only. Anything after that is free to invest or spend.

I believe with AI and access to real-time data, businesses will do much quicker layoffs going forward and the old rule of 6 months for an emergency fund will no longer cut it. We will have insta-recessions and depressions. Therefore, two years of living expenses including healthcare is what I will be seeking, while continuing to build out my 30% buffer no matter what.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:55 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Some folks are not as lucky as you. They may have conditions requiring regular medical attention or family members such as children who do. High deductible versus premium is not for every budget.

What does your medical coverage have to do with how much cash on hand someone should have?

Old 04-07-2020, 12:29 PM

900 posts, read 685,224 times
Please don't forego medical insurance.

15 years ago I had a medical event and was resucitated with no choice in the matter--at that time my bills were 115000-- that was 15 years ago, when I could pay 12 dollars for an inhaler that now costs $75.

You never know what is going to hit you.

Old 04-07-2020, 10:19 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,403,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebesmom View Post
Please don't forego medical insurance.

15 years ago I had a medical event and was resucitated with no choice in the matter--at that time my bills were 115000-- that was 15 years ago, when I could pay 12 dollars for an inhaler that now costs $75.

You never know what is going to hit you.
I agree on medical insurance. My dad never had medical, turns out, he ever needed it. ( until he was on Medicare)

I, on the other hand, have never been without it. I had one event that cost $500k and another that was almost $200k. Those events would have been financially catastrophic.

I think $50k is a nice round sum of cash to weather a storm, especially debt free, as you mentioned.

Old 04-08-2020, 07:14 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
I find the definition of 'cash on hand' curious. To me cash on hand is legal tender in my wallet or in a safe place at home. My needs for that has gone down since we are not going outside the house at all (except to walk around the neighborhood for exercise. Our kids have delivered a few supplies (milk, salad vegetables) which we gave them a check for.

Actual expenses have dropped - no gas expense (Will have to run the cars for a while soon), no casual purchases, no going out to eat. We got $300 in cash before 'hunkering down' and haven't touched it.

Old 04-08-2020, 09:52 AM

14,473 posts, read 20,652,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul359 View Post
Do not forget about the COVID-19 Bailout. Google it

As far as the virus and those who will get $1200 but have little or no income have said that they might make it for three months with the $1200. The government might have to consider another stimulus package that send all persons of low income another check.

Old 04-08-2020, 09:11 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,829 times
Quote:
I agree about the young people comment. I know people who when they or their kid sneezes, they run to the doctor. Pure ignorance. This is why there are so many unnecessary people going to the doctor/hospital to be tested for coronavirus. You will know when you are REALLY sick!

Old 04-10-2020, 07:29 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jteskal View Post
I agree about the young people comment. I know people who when they or their kid sneezes, they run to the doctor. Pure ignorance. This is why there are so many unnecessary people going to the doctor/hospital to be tested for coronavirus. You will know when you are REALLY sick!
There should be nationwide free testing for COVID-19. With results in 15 minutes or less. For everyone.

Sadly, this administration has screwed up the entire country. For a long time. This will end up worse then the Great Depression.

50% of all public school children qualify for subsidized reduced lunch. Before COVID-19. Those parents are going to and now going to be really hurting.

And we all live in one of the richest countries in the world. Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living