Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 08:30 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
Yes. Unless you went with a streaming package, like YouTube Tv for $50/mo, that included them.
$50/month for LOCAL TV? Nah. Spend $100 for a good Digital antenna and get up to 30 local digital channels for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 09:00 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
$50/month for LOCAL TV? Nah. Spend $100 for a good Digital antenna and get up to 30 local digital channels for free.
It's not just local - here's a list of their channel lineup.

ABC
ACCN
Adult Swim
AMC
Animal Planet
BBC America
BBC World News
Brave
Big Ten Network
Bravo
Cartoon Nework
CBS
CBS Sports
Cheddar Big News
Cheddar Business
Cheddar News
CNBC
CNBC World
CNN
Comet TV
CoziTV
The CW
Discovery Channel
Disney Channel
Disney Junior
Disney XD
E!
ESPN
ESPN2
ESPNU
ESPNews
Food Network
Fox
Fox Business
Fox News Channel
Fox Sports
Freeform
FS1
FS2
FX
FXM
FXX
Golf Channel
HGTV
HLN
IFC
Investigation Discovery
Local Now
Los Angeles Football Club
MLB Game of the Week
MLB Network
MotorTrend
MSNBC
My Network TV
National Geographic
Nat Geo WILD
NBA TV
NBC
NBC Sports
NBC Sports Network
NECN
NESN
Newsy
Olympics Channel
Oprah Winfrey Network (OWN)
Orlando City SC
Oxygen
PBS
PBS Kids
Pop
SEC
Smithsonian Channel
SNY
Start TV
SundanceTV
Syfy
Tastemade
TBS
TCM
Telemundo
Tennis Channel
TLC
TNT
Travel Channel
TruTV
TYT
Universal Kids
Universo
USA
WE tv
YES
YES Network
YouTube Originals

BTW - I don't have Youtube TV, I have a different streaming package, but this is one that is very popular because you can get local channels in addition to the other channels that you normally get on cable.

Old 06-24-2020, 04:28 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,278,514 times
I went with a Roku a couple of years ago. I'll never go back to cable again.

Old 06-27-2020, 03:52 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
We cut off Youtube TV recently, can’t stand the news anymore, no basketball, no YouTuve TV.

Old 07-01-2020, 02:54 AM

949 posts, read 788,833 times
Does anyone use a TV tuner that enables TV viewing through your Windows 10 computer?

I'm thinking about getting a Hauppauge internal (PCI Express) TV Tuner card ($71 from Amazon). I don't have a TV. I stream all my content from free web sites. This fall I want to watch Raiders games when they start playing here in Las Vegas and I'm guessing I'll need to resort back to TV. I still have an old external antenna I believe I can use.

You attach your antenna to the card from the back of your PC and install their software that lets you navigate the channels from your PC. A remote control is included.

Old 07-01-2020, 09:11 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
So glad we cut out YoutubeTV, the monthly price went up to $65.

Old 07-01-2020, 10:29 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmiller9 View Post
I'm thinking about getting a Hauppauge internal (PCI Express) TV Tuner card ($71 from Amazon).
I don't think an internal TV Tuner card is very cost-effective. For $89 from Walmart you can get a brand new 24" Class 720P HD LED Roku Smart TV (.onn Model:100012590) which weighs less than 6 lbs. My guess is your monitor is smaller than 24".

CONNECTIONS
Analog/Digital TV Tuner 1
HDMI (ARC) 3
USB 1
Audio In 1
Cable 1
Composite Input 1
Headphone 1
Optical Digital Output 1

You have a stand-alone TV to which you can attach an antenna, and you can also watch Roku. Free services include youtube, Roku channel, pluto tv, locast, Kanopy from public library, plus any paid service like HBO Max, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime.

==================
CONSUMER REPORTS

Onn is one of a handful of private-label brands in the electronics industry, meaning they're sold by just one retailer. Best Buy's Insignia TVs and sound bars at Best Buy, AmazonBasics cables and accessories, and Target's Heyday products are other examples.

There's a good reason people are interested in Onn TVs: They are very inexpensive. During Black Friday and Cyber Monday, we saw a 40-inch 1080p set priced at just $98, a $148 50-inch 4K Roku set, and a 58-inch 4K Roku TV selling for less than $200.

Those prices are dirt cheap. However, lots of other televisions are selling at a discount now, as well. The question for many shoppers is whether Onn TVs are any good.

You pretty much get what you pay for.

Old 07-01-2020, 06:37 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
Eliza, if you are still reading, I'm not sure anyone has answered the question about HOW to get local TV via antenna?

Connect your antenna (most come with a coaxial cable connection) to the TV.
Turn on TV.
Click menu.
Scroll to "source" or other term like that.
Click antenna.
Click scan.
Click run scan.
Wait.
Wait.
Wait.
Tv will pop up on the first channel in local lineup it picked up.
Channel up or down.

We get 18 channels and sub channels here over the air. Nothing fancy, but Binghamton isn't really all that big and Syracuse and Scranton have too many hills between thee and us.
We get CBS and 4 subs, ABC and 3 subs, Fox and 2 subs, PBS and 3 subs, a PBS music channel, I think that's all of them.

For being out in the middle of nowhere, we enjoy what we get, though ABC is always iffy, depending on weather.

We have a 75mile antenna with booster, but can't always get Elmira channels either.

CBS is doing a rescan on Fri.
If your channel should show as no signal, rescan again, they often change frequency.

We watch the local morning and evening CBS news, ABC national news and mostly watch PBS, PBS' create and world channels.

Our antenna was set up in winter, so it's just lying on a table in the bonus room next to the TV.
I want to mount it UP on the side garage facia, that may bring in more channels.

Good luck as you convert!

Old 07-03-2020, 02:57 PM

12,839 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
So Verizon and comcast have really gotten out of control with there price increases and don't even get me started with customer service and I'm finally thinking about getting rid of cable. sorry if this is a silly question but how do you get your local channels without cable. I still would like the 3 major non cable networks.

TIA
Hulu works for me. Not perfect, but it's ok.

Old 07-03-2020, 11:54 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,376,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
30 bucks+ per month? (I may be off on the price). Why? A one time payment of 50 dollars +\- will get you the locals for free.
Depends on where you are, I am in the city limits of San Diego and get all of one channel with an antenna (QVC).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living