Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 08:18 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,561,309 times

Advertisements

So Verizon and comcast have really gotten out of control with there price increases and don't even get me started with customer service and I'm finally thinking about getting rid of cable. sorry if this is a silly question but how do you get your local channels without cable. I still would like the 3 major non cable networks.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 08:20 AM

8,065 posts, read 12,779,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
So Verizon and comcast have really gotten out of control with there price increases and don't even get me started with customer service and I'm finally thinking about getting rid of cable. sorry if this is a silly question but how do you get your local channels without cable. I still would like the 3 major non cable networks.

TIA
Just get an over the air antenna.

Old 06-09-2020, 09:21 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,561,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Just get an over the air antenna.
cool, last question. If I have one of those "smart" tv's do I still need an antenna?

Old 06-09-2020, 09:53 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
cool, last question. If I have one of those "smart" tv's do I still need an antenna?
Unless the stations in question stream their programming, yes.

Old 06-09-2020, 10:22 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,240,727 times
Quote:

TIA
YouTube TV is a streaming service that offers all local channels in its package. No antenna required.

Old 06-09-2020, 10:24 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,240,727 times
Quote:
Yes. Unless you went with a streaming package, like YouTube Tv for $50/mo, that included them.

Old 06-09-2020, 10:33 AM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
https://www.cnet.com/news/are-your-l...v-service-yet/

You'll still need good internet for streaming. That leaves you likely with Comcast anyway. Unless you have alternatives available.
Normally, when I run out of decent priced contract with Comcast, I clal and tell them I am shutting down service. In heartbeat they offer me a "current promotion" in my area that gives me good price for a year. Then, we play that game again. I am not even irate with it anymore.

Old 06-09-2020, 10:36 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
We cut the cord 5 years ago.

Stuck an over-the-air antenna in the attic like this, and get ~ 50 channels...many of them some version of QVC. But it gets the core channels for news, football and weather.

https://www.amazon.com/GE-Directiona...38281661&psc=1

Old 06-09-2020, 01:48 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,238,192 times
i have youtube tv

but my smart tv does pick up some over the air channels
however my antenna can pick up more channels and pick them up a lot clearer

Old 06-09-2020, 03:50 PM

20,392 posts, read 14,661,936 times
I've wondered about antennas, too. Mostly because I have one smart TV that has one of its inputs as "TV" and if it's selected, it will attempt to tune to local channels, like it shows the channel number and letters but it does not actually have the signal, there is no audio or video, just a black screen with the numbers and letters of the station in the corner.

I have no idea if this TV has some kind of built in antenna, and it's potentially able to get local TV, or if I need to actually connect an antenna...it was given to me by an old friend and it's possible that he had an antenna connected to it, and it is just looking for the last stations it found in a "scan" with his antenna connected, but now that there is none, it finds nothing even though it knows where it's trying to look. ????

I've been curious about it, but not enough to really work to figure it out, since I don't care to watch local TV networks much.

One thing too, there is a channel you can get for free for Roku and some of the other streaming devices called "Locast" and it streams local networks for a number of the bigger cities in the country. You would have to check their website to see if that would interest you but if you live in one of the big cities, it might work for what you need. And I very much recommend Rokus, they are way cool. I replaced my cable with them not long ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living