Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 10:49 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
So, you prefer the brand that is heavily loaded with preservatives.

That's OK. It lasts longer and that is a consideration for a single person household.

During normal times, I generally purchase Orowheat breads, Thomas brand products and the various Bimbo brands. However, since I am getting my groceries picked up at either Walmart or Krogers.

The Great Value rye bread that I have received with my grocery orders was very acceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 10:53 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
So, you prefer the brand that is heavily loaded with preservatives.

That's OK. It lasts longer and that is a consideration for a single person household.

During normal times, I generally purchase Orowheat breads, Thomas brand products and the various Bimbo brands. However, since I am getting my groceries picked up at either Walmart or Krogers.

The Great Value rye bread that I have received with my grocery orders was very acceptable.

I do not find many problems with many private label brands. However, I do see a good number of national brands cheapening their quality, especially when purchased by ownership more driven by finances than producing quality products (Heinz).

Old 07-28-2020, 01:09 PM

749 posts, read 580,033 times
Some of the Great Value brands are okay, some not.
Target milk (where I am) does not even last to the expiration.
Its cheaper for a reason.
The only milk that tastes better to me is Bordens
if I can find it.

Of course, this may all depend on location.

Old 08-07-2020, 06:17 PM

8 posts, read 6,959 times
Get into an Audi's grocery. Their baked beans taste like Bush's baked beans.Both their bean and beanless chilli is very good and well under a buck.All their canned vegies and fruit are good.Their 2lb containers of macaroni salad is $1.99.
Milk- $1.49 and a dozen eggs for under 70¢

Old 08-07-2020, 07:36 PM

61,682 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
The organic milk is ultra pasteurized. That is why it lasts longer and tasted "creamier".
Wait a sec. While you're right (just checked the organic milk in my fridge) I don't understand this statement:

Quote:
Ultra-pasteurized (UP) milk is heated to a minimum of 280° F and held for 2 seconds, while ultra-high temperature (UHT) milk is heated to temperatures between 275° and 300° F.
What's the difference?

Quote:
Both of these methods use commercially sterile equipment to produce a shelf-stable product that does not require refrigeration before opening. The goal of using UP or UHT pasteurization is to extend the shelf life and create a shelf-stable product.
If organic milk is UP and doesn't require refrigeration, then why is kept in the fridge at the store? (UHT is not)

You could assume that both UP and UHT milk are "dead", but try to leave unopened organic milk on the counter shelf (it happened to me) and you will find the next day that your milk doesn't taste the same...

https://kalonasupernatural.com/why-t...iltered-dairy/

So, besides raw milk the next best and healthiest option is to buy pasteurized, non-homogenized milk (from grass-fed cows) which is not available in most stores around here.

Old 08-11-2020, 07:04 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshTomato View Post
A couple of weeks ago I put in a pickup order at Walmart and checked the box for substitutions if necessary. They gave me a Wonder bread instead for the 88 cents, which would have been at least $2 more. I'm probably the only person who would be disappointed by getting a better bread.
Similar thing happened to us. I ordered Great Value bread and they substituted it with Sarah Lee white bread at the same price.

I had one sandwich with the Sarah Lee and left the rest for the kid to eat. I went to Food Lion and got some house brand sandwich bread.

Old 08-14-2020, 04:02 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Great Value NY Rye is the best! Forget about that spun air that Orowheat tries to pass off as Rye! But I buy Orowheat Potato bread almost exclusively with an occasional Dave's Killer for variety.

I like Horizons for all milk products because it lasts long but I'll buy whatever brand is there if I don't have a choice. It mostly tastes the same when it's on cereal or in coffee anyway.

I like to shop at Nob Hill/Raley's but some of their generics are awful so I avoid them all.

Old 08-27-2020, 09:03 AM

9,117 posts, read 6,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Great Value Bread. Ew. It tastes fine, but when I switched to Sunbeam, I noticed it doesn't get old even on the counter rather than in the fridge.

And the milk. COVID caused me to have to get delivery from other places. The 365 milk at Whole Foods is not even more expensive, but it tastes better, and has a much longer expiration date.

Whole Foods generic is far superior on everything. Produce, etc. And only pennies difference. If you stick to the basics, it isn't any more costly to shop there.

Just a heads up to anyone feeling like they have to shop at walmart for the best prices, and maybe others have worthless generic brands to share.
Whole Foods has been reducing the size of some products. In the Bakery section, I buy their croissants. both the fresh and frozen ones were much smaller than they used to be. That is price inflation and increased costs.

Old 08-28-2020, 02:13 AM

6,147 posts, read 4,508,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Similar thing happened to us. I ordered Great Value bread and they substituted it with Sarah Lee white bread at the same price.

I had one sandwich with the Sarah Lee and left the rest for the kid to eat. I went to Food Lion and got some house brand sandwich bread.

Food Lion's organic bread (Nature's Promise?) is great.

Old 08-28-2020, 09:12 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
We like the Walmart bakery baked fresh sliced French or Italian bread, for $1 a loaf...yum...
They will slice it for you, if you prefer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living