Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-30-2020, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Reputation: 43794

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Who? Me? You've got the wrong number. lol
Yes, you, stage lady.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-03-2020, 09:21 PM
 
Location: 404
3,006 posts, read 1,493,780 times
Reputation: 2599
A bus pass, since I don't have a car.
Origami with money, bearer bonds, savings bonds, cashier's check, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2020, 09:29 PM
 
Location: Indianapolis, East Side
3,070 posts, read 2,402,586 times
Reputation: 8456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanfan1986 View Post
For example asking folks to chip in for a washing machine just doesn’t make sense right now because I have no place to store it.
Assuming you're in the US, the house will probably come with a washer. But I get your point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2020, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Reputation: 43794
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Assuming you're in the US, the house will probably come with a washer. But I get your point.
That hasn't been my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2020, 04:10 AM
 
572 posts, read 326,000 times
Reputation: 345
Personalized gifts and the gifts are practical are my preference as you cannot toss them away but use them in your daily life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2020, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Islip,NY
20,937 posts, read 28,438,415 times
Reputation: 24925
When we were little my mom made gifts for the holidays like breads and cookies and ornaments. My parents did not have a lot of money back then. We got gifts at Christmas from Santa but the adults got homemade gifts. Eventually things got better financially but my mom continued with the Homemade gifts. She has not done this in a few years because it's too much for her now that she is 75. In fact last Christmas I made her a batch of her favorite cookies that her mom always made and she was thrilled. She has passed he cookie recipes on to me but I haven't made a lot of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2020, 03:00 AM
 
Location: Pacific Northwest
3,842 posts, read 1,788,855 times
Reputation: 5016
I like practical gifts and gifts that offer an experience. Zoo memberships, day trips, dinner out, movie tickets etc.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2020, 05:08 AM
 
566 posts, read 593,178 times
Reputation: 1008
Visa gift cards ought to cover just about anything your heart desires.

Good luck in your future home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2020, 03:54 PM
 
Location: Location: Location
6,727 posts, read 9,956,563 times
Reputation: 20483
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
When we were little my mom made gifts for the holidays like breads and cookies and ornaments. My parents did not have a lot of money back then. We got gifts at Christmas from Santa but the adults got homemade gifts. Eventually things got better financially but my mom continued with the Homemade gifts. She has not done this in a few years because it's too much for her now that she is 75. In fact last Christmas I made her a batch of her favorite cookies that her mom always made and she was thrilled. She has passed he cookie recipes on to me but I haven't made a lot of them.
Good for you to make your Mom her favorite cookies!

I'm a week away from 85 and last year I realized that I couldn't do all that mixing and rolling and baking and washing up because when I make cookies it's a cookiepalooza. Usually about 12 different varieties.

One of my granddaughters said she'd like to learn how to bake all my cookies so I wrote every recipe in a nice notebook and gave it to her. She is now the official cookie maker. Last year, she did a credible job. She, like me, will get better year after year. First she needs to get over the shock of how much the ingredients cost. tee-hee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2020, 09:24 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Reputation: 43794
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Good for you to make your Mom her favorite cookies!

I'm a week away from 85 and last year I realized that I couldn't do all that mixing and rolling and baking and washing up because when I make cookies it's a cookiepalooza. Usually about 12 different varieties.

One of my granddaughters said she'd like to learn how to bake all my cookies so I wrote every recipe in a nice notebook and gave it to her. She is now the official cookie maker. Last year, she did a credible job. She, like me, will get better year after year. First she needs to get over the shock of how much the ingredients cost. tee-hee.
I taught my son how to make cookies, quick breads, tarts, and pies. I seriously doubt that knowledge, experience, will ever be used, though I hope that I'm wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top