Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 09:44 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,663,404 times

Advertisements

We get one year of Amazon Prime from son #1, Netflix for one year from son #2, Son #3 is a bum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2020, 02:15 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Japan, After reading all the creative ideas from Posters, I would paste a picture of a washer and dryer on a lovely gift card with monetary gift. Would thank the person and inform the donor you have a bank account for your future home.

Remembered, my son family and I were taking a trip together earlier this year. Went to his bank, deposited a check to his account; one can do this. No questions by the teller was asked of me.

Gifts for myself-can hear Stevie Wonder sing "I just called to say I love you". A telephone call from a friend, dining at a friend's house, with a board or card game afterwards. A walk with a friend, espresso (in a small town on the Olympics Peninsula, WA, seems there's an espresso hut on every corner!) Purchase flowers for myself-Safeway has a bouquet on Fridays for $5 ! Soul food, no calories, lol !

My son was volunteering in a small town at a camp in France. He asked an older lady to teach him what she was preparing. Brought the recipe home, A peasant dish, but so yummy! Potatoes, cream bacon

My daughter-in-law teaches me about plants, herbal remedies she uses. You've got the ideas flowing!
Right! Just don't try taking money out! lol

I like your idea of the Safeway bouquet. Go for it.

Old 10-07-2020, 03:20 PM

137 posts, read 120,606 times
I, too, am a very practical gift giver. If I were in your situation I would request specific store gift cards with a goal for specific items. Explain (for example) you would like to get a Maytag washer and dryer from Lowe's. You know it will be several thousand so you would like a gift card to help offset some of that cost. This way the giver has a visual of what they are expending a set amount on, knows it will be used from a specific store and isn't a "general, generic VISA gift card" from them. Most givers don't want to just hand over cash or give a general gift card never knowing where and what it was spent on.

Another thought would be to explain that as you are wanting to buy a house but don't have storage space that if they would like to buy you something you need for your future home, would they be willing to house it until you need it? This wouldn't be my ideal scenario but I also would very easily understand when buying a home all of the necessary items needed and they do take up quite a bit of room. You could make a list of some smaller appliances (mixer, dishes, knives, screw gun, hammer, other tools, etc). This would only be pragmatic, IMO, if you are able to move soon and not in years, otherwise by then it could be outdated or the technology wouldn't be where it should be for the amount spent.

Old 10-20-2020, 10:57 PM

3,057 posts, read 2,035,841 times
OP
You said your family would not like to give cash as a gift but you are saving for a new house and washer/dryer. Our current house did not come with washer/dryer although our previous house did. Cost quite a bit but they work very well.

My suggestion for you is to ask for something you would be spending money on (bags of coffee maybe or similar) and you put the money away while your relatives have given you an actual gift. Yes you might have a bunch of coffee (it freezes well) but you will accomplish more of your goal than getting socks and underwear.

We prefer to give checks to our nieces and nephews so they can get exactly what they want. One will be using their wedding check to add a zip line tour to their honeymoon.

I don't like getting gifts because I'm very picky about just about everything and don't need money either. Coffee would work for me too lol. Or donuts or cookies. It's the thought that counts.

Old 10-21-2020, 07:21 AM

3,057 posts, read 2,035,841 times
OP
Another gift idea is a gas card. When you get it you put that amount of money in savings.

Old 10-24-2020, 09:38 AM

572 posts, read 325,781 times
The practical gifts for wedding are better but if someone wants to give crystal engraved glass gifts then these are good too.

Old 10-24-2020, 12:11 PM

89 posts, read 61,728 times
blackout curtains
solar oven
canning jars

Old 10-30-2020, 09:56 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
I’m giving my kids money, had cold cash, depositing into their brokerage account, and I will buy VTI ETF. No more buying junk stuff just because it’s Christmas or their birthdays, however they can spend their own money buying junk stuff. I won’t interfere.

Old 11-01-2020, 12:03 AM

1,204 posts, read 935,376 times
My best friend had two adult daughters. She lived in an apartment building with a coin laundry, and was elderly and never taken up with computers, so her correspondence was all snail mail. Every year, one daughter gave her rolls of quarters for laundry, and the other gave her books of stamps. They’d switch off, to keep it exciting. My friend said she laid down the rule when she turned 60 - if it has to be dusted, I don’t want it.

Old 11-20-2020, 02:58 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,265 times
I don't want material possessions because I'd rather buy those myself. All I want for Christmas is a gift card to a restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living