Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 05:11 PM

6,340 posts, read 2,892,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
No I do not and rarely do I see dented cans in my store
You have to shop at one of those discount places.

Slash Your Food Budget With ‘Salvage Groceries’
https://www.thesimpledollar.com/save...age-groceries/

Quote:
At times there’s not a thing wrong with the “damaged” merchandise. When a pallet of products gets dropped from a forklift, it’s more cost-effective for a wholesaler to sell it all below retail than it would be to separate and repackage the still-good items. As a result, consumers pay fire-sale prices for like-new products...

Some salvage grocers eschew the scratch ’n’ dent stuff, specializing instead in seasonal items, product overruns (why isn’t anyone buying this butternut squash/chipotle/quinoa soup?) and other inexpensively obtained foods.

Two well-known examples are United Grocery Outlet, a chain of 37 stores in five southern states, and The Grocery Outlet, with more than 280 stores in six (mostly western) states. Such stores also offer produce, meats, dairy, and a good selection of other grocery staples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2020, 07:26 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post

But I am not that frugal.

Old 09-26-2020, 09:54 AM

740 posts, read 456,098 times
You put yourself at risk. Not worth to save pennies. Dented cans and food poisoning The USDA says that while rare, dented cans can lead to botulism which is a deadly form of food poisoning that attacks the nervous system.

https://www.rd.com/article/dont-eat-...rvous%20system.

Old 09-26-2020, 12:29 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,870,813 times
Dented cans and crushed boxes are something that I absolutely do NOT purchase. Not going to risk my health for a cheap meal.

Old 09-27-2020, 11:22 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post

I have shopped in a lot fo those places and have never found any issues with the quality of the product. My last major trip through Indiana involved a stop at three surplus/salvage groceries and the overwhelming majority of the goods fell into several categories:

1) Past seasonal items
2) Meijer supermarket products with the old label design.
3) Producer overruns
4) Goods produced by US suppliers originally intended for export markets (usually with foreign labels - ie, Colgate toothpaste with South African boxes.
5) Bankruptcy liquidations
5) Short dated dry staples.

Old 09-28-2020, 05:00 AM

497 posts, read 422,331 times
No. If this is about food. I learned they are not as safe, but if I accidentally got one, I make sure I opened it soon since the storage of it won’t last.

Old 09-29-2020, 11:25 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,100,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The freight damaged goods are sold here in freight salvage, discount or liquidation stores.
Some products with light damage are ok to buy, but don't be fooled - from my experience and observation - the most frequent buyers are small mom&pop restaurant owners. They buy whatever, regardless how badly stuff is damaged or expired.
Once opened and processed, they hope you won't know the difference.
Oh, so that's where they sell them. I shop regularly at about five different supermarkets and I haven't seen a dented can in years.

Many years ago I used to buy dented cans for about 25% off the regular price at my regular supermarket. The girl I was living with told me that if you really loved me you wouldn't buy me dented cans. I told her that if you really loved me you would open the cans and cook me a meal instead of us going out to dinner every night. Needless to say, the relationship did not last.

Old 10-01-2020, 01:35 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,557,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The freight damaged goods are sold here in freight salvage, discount or liquidation stores.
Some products with light damage are ok to buy, but don't be fooled - from my experience and observation - the most frequent buyers are small mom&pop restaurant owners. They buy whatever, regardless how badly stuff is damaged or expired.
Once opened and processed, they hope you won't know the difference.
Hmm, just like how some smaller restaurants dumpster dive in the back of the local supermarket. Easier to turn profits when your ingredients are free.

Old 10-01-2020, 02:08 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,808,533 times
No. I'm too frugal to spend time looking for dented cans.

Old 10-04-2020, 04:31 PM

6,340 posts, read 2,892,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontobase View Post
No. If this is about food. I learned they are not as safe, but if I accidentally got one, I make sure I opened it soon since the storage of it won’t last.
I've been eating them for decades and never had a problem. Dented boxes too. Got some Famous Amos chocolate chip cookies half off the other day. I get them all the time like that. A couple of cookies might be broken. What's the big deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
You put yourself at risk. Not worth to save pennies. Dented cans and food poisoning The USDA says that while rare, dented cans can lead to botulism which is a deadly form of food poisoning that attacks the nervous system.
I'm proof that the risk is near zero. And I save more than pennies. I get half of my food for about half off. I get quinoa for more than half off. I still buy frozen foods, fruit, vegetables and milk and fish at the supermarket. But I must save at least $10 a week on average. That's $500 a year.

Last edited by mascoma; 10-04-2020 at 04:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living