Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2020, 05:48 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,244,921 times

Advertisements

You should not eat food from dented cans if the top or bottom is not perfectly flat. If it's just a dent on the side of the can, you're probably ok. But I personally don't do it - it's a case of being penny wise and pound foolish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2020, 12:29 PM

6,335 posts, read 2,888,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
You should not eat food from dented cans if the top or bottom is not perfectly flat. If it's just a dent on the side of the can, you're probably ok. But I personally don't do it - it's a case of being penny wise and pound foolish.
I guess if I disappear from CD everyone will assume I got sick and died from a dented can of peas. But this is what the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service says:

Quote:
Is it safe to use food from dented cans?
If a can containing food has a small dent, but is otherwise in good shape, the food should be safe to eat. Discard deeply dented cans. A deep dent is one that you can lay your finger into. Deep dents often have sharp points. A sharp dent on either the top or side seam can damage the seam and allow bacteria to enter the can. Discard any can with a deep dent on any seam.

Old 10-05-2020, 01:46 PM

453 posts, read 344,623 times
I don't really see dented cans in my supermarkets. When I do, they aren't marked for discount. Are you bringing up dented cans and asking for discounts at the register or are they already marked down?

Old 10-05-2020, 01:49 PM

13,059 posts, read 7,491,199 times
avoid dents along the weld (newer style) and lid seams

Old 10-06-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wherewhatwho View Post
I don't really see dented cans in my supermarkets. When I do, they aren't marked for discount. Are you bringing up dented cans and asking for discounts at the register or are they already marked down?
If you would read the posts in the thread you would see I get things at discount stores.

Slash Your Food Budget With ‘Salvage Groceries’
https://www.thesimpledollar.com/save...age-groceries/

But even at supermarkets there is usually a shelf in the back with dented cans that are discounted. And bakery items that are day old that are always perfectly good. Sometimes I get these huge cakes that have a $20 price on them discounted to $7. I bring them into work for birthday celebrations.

Old 10-06-2020, 08:24 AM

187 posts, read 113,250 times
No, I don't intentionally buy dented cans because of the savings. I don't buy many canned products anyway, but when I do, I buy them on sale. There have been times when I get a can home only to find a small dent. If the shape of the can is fine without bloating, I'll use it.

Old 10-06-2020, 08:51 AM

453 posts, read 344,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
If you would read the posts in the thread you would see I get things at discount stores.

Slash Your Food Budget With ‘Salvage Groceries’
https://www.thesimpledollar.com/save...age-groceries/

But even at supermarkets there is usually a shelf in the back with dented cans that are discounted. And bakery items that are day old that are always perfectly good. Sometimes I get these huge cakes that have a $20 price on them discounted to $7. I bring them into work for birthday celebrations.
Ah, well these types of discount stores do not exist in much of the country, and definitely not in my area, so I have never been. I have never seen a shelf with discounted dented cans. I live in a high cost of living area, so maybe that is why. Day old bakery stuff does exist here, and I do buy it on occasion.

Old 10-06-2020, 10:46 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,042,372 times
I knew a couple where the guy was super frugal. He used to buy banana boxes of cans, not only dented but with missing labels. He thought it was fun to open a couple and have a surprise supper. His wife, not so much. They didn't last long as a couple.

At the food shelf where I volunteer, we have the same rules as above. Only slight dents, no dents on seams, nothing that interferes with the opening of the can. The pig farmer gets the rejects.

Old 10-07-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wherewhatwho View Post
Ah, well these types of discount stores do not exist in much of the country, and definitely not in my area, so I have never been. I have never seen a shelf with discounted dented cans. I live in a high cost of living area, so maybe that is why. Day old bakery stuff does exist here, and I do buy it on occasion.
I did some googling and found a site that lists discount and salvage stores. I found one in NJ. Giant Lot Trading in Patterson.

Discount Grocery Store Directory | Extreme Bargains

Old 10-07-2020, 04:35 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,769,504 times
I usually shy away from the dented cans, just too risky not knowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living