Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Could you have a romantic relationship with a nomad/VanDweller?
yes 5 10.64%
no 34 72.34%
maybe 8 17.02%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 10:57 PM

3,318 posts, read 1,818,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileSauceCritic View Post
Actually that life would allow me the most disposable income. more of my paychecks in my pocket, I'd even afford to take women on nicer dates.

Though it is discouraging that for the poll only one woman said yes(a very attractive one though), and only one said maybe, seems men are more open minded in general. But I kind of guessed that from watching the youtube videos, seems men are more likely to be cool with joining a woman in that life than the other way around. from what I see women can be in that life and date people in and out of that life while guys seem to mostly only attract women already in that life.
The bold may be true, and you will find dates.
But it won't be so easy to find a real mate because it's NOT about being open-minded or adventurous.
A woman needs security way more than stuff.
And the older she gets, maybe more than anything!
That is why nomadic van life will appeal to very few safely domiciled, mature women.

Old 02-23-2021, 01:15 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
I was not being literal when I said you can park anywhere but our country is full of Walmart's, rest stops, parks, lakes, fields, wooded area's, tent cities the list is endless. Also a van is less noticeable as you see them parked everywhere you see cars parked whish is why in recent years many nomads have switched to vans from RV's as they draw less attention. I read in a forum last night where some guy parks near industrial parks and construction sites because from the outside it looks like a work van so nobody notices him(he has a made up AC repair business name on the side of his van lol)

I ran into lists of those places when doing my research, it works out that if I end up going this route I would not be tied to one place.

Yep I don't think I'd be comfortable imposing on people like that but like you said their are camping area's near every major city you can stay at free for a few days at a time.

Yep that's cause you were dating someone with a home, when my Coworker and her boyfriend were saying how fast relationships progress I think they were just talking about when nomads get involved with each other, also they are not as stationary as you seem to be, I'm learning there are different levels to that life. like how some wander around one city or metro area, some are regional, some just go up and down the same coast, and some just get on the road and see what they will find seems like there are pro's and con's to each level. And it even seems like many of the nationwide wanderers have a particular area they always come back to.

That's about 1/4 of my monthly income sounds like a good deal from time to time between the free ways of parking.

That was one of the first things I researched and the best I found so far is Skyroam and Gypsy Wireless Skyroam as far as coverage and Gypsy as far as pricing and no throttling. and both are roughly the same price as I am paying now for my home internet 10-15 bucks cheaper.

I make roughly 2K a month my electric bill alone runs close to $600(100 plus degree summers) factor in water, gas, insurance, property tax, yard up keep, cleaning supplies, home repairs(my house was built in 1950), security system monthly fee.

But I like my current job, I did away with my high stress job once my house was paid for. when I bought the house my property taxes were low, mostly because I got it cheap at an auction and there had not been a house sold in my neighborhood since 70's and our property taxes are based on how much homes in your area are selling for, so I had a good 15 years of low taxes($300-$400 a year), but in recent years some of the older people in my area have been dying and their A-hole kids and grandkids have been selling their homes at prices that have made our county officials reevaluate the value of our homes. So now my taxes went up to about $2,000 a year many around me have been loosing their homes since they started this.
I think the big turnoff for a lot of people would be that you have a low income, which means fewer life options.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 02-23-2021 at 01:24 AM..

Old 02-23-2021, 01:19 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Actually it's about the possibility of finding a relationship if I choose this lifestyle, so now you move this thread to a forum populated by 90% men (as there are very few truly frugal women)
Finding frugal people of any gender is difficult. I don't really think women are any less frugal than men. Men and women just blow money on different things.

It sounds like your best chance of finding a relationship in this lifestyle will be with a woman who is already living that way.

Old 02-23-2021, 08:00 AM

728 posts, read 303,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
But it won't be so easy to find a real mate because it's NOT about being open-minded or adventurous.
That is why nomadic van life will appeal to very few safely domiciled, mature women.

I met a lot of yachties (nomadic couples who live on sailboats). All the women were safely domiciled and mature (in their fifties and sixties).

Old 02-23-2021, 11:22 AM

3,318 posts, read 1,818,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenping View Post
I met a lot of yachties (nomadic couples who live on sailboats). All the women were safely domiciled and mature (in their fifties and sixties).
Of course I could be way off base, but why do I think that yachting is not a very popular (or sensible) choice for the vast majority of older, poorer folks?

Old 02-23-2021, 11:50 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
True, and it even covers the concept of physical safety and security. If something bad happens, where are you? What happens if you need medical treatment, or even regular doctor and dentist visits?

Old 02-23-2021, 12:51 PM

1,438 posts, read 734,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
True, and it even covers the concept of physical safety and security. If something bad happens, where are you? What happens if you need medical treatment, or even regular doctor and dentist visits?
Well I have nationwide health coverage already from a previous job, the bump in my premiums was small enough when I left that job that I ended up keeping it. but yes in my research that is often talked about, making sure what ever health insurance you get is nation wide(it seems many people did not know they were only covered in their state or surrounding states), like said before many nomad's have regular jobs that allow them to work remotely, so they actually have an income in fact most in that situation have MORE disposable income than most who earn the same amount. it's funny that the image most people still have of nomads(me included before I started researching) are the extremes, either the grungy stoners in a burnt out cargo van, or the retired couple with a good pension tooling around the country in an RV that looks like Jimmy Buffets tour bus, who want to see the country before they are too old. but in recent years it seems The people between those extremes are the fastest growing segment of that community. I think Covid gave it a bump also since many companies are now encouraging employee's to work remotely if their job can solely be done online and most monthly, weekly update meetings are done on zoom now.

So now you have a mix of people from all different walks of life and income brackets, telecommuter's, Retirees, migrant workers, etc etc. some by choice some by circumstance. In my research I find it amazing how many enter the life temporarily then decide they don't want to go back to a traditional life after they got used to the freedom and lack of obligation(well the comparative obligation as the telecommuters still have to log into work lol) .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxWgwQuPqm0

Old 02-23-2021, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Of course I could be way off base, but why do I think that yachting is not a very popular (or sensible) choice for the vast majority of older, poorer folks?

Yachties, generally, are older, poorer folks. Typically, they would tell me "we are not rich but we are not starving either". The reason why the women are matured domiciles and not FWBs is because of the commitment to their partners. Splitting up is not an option on the high seas, and surviving storms together forge marriages made in Heaven.

Old 02-23-2021, 01:33 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenping View Post
Yachties, generally, are older, poorer folks. Typically, they would tell me "we are not rich but we are not starving either". The reason why the women are matured domiciles and not FWBs is because of the commitment to their partners. Splitting up is not an option on the high seas, and surviving storms together forge marriages made in Heaven.
So they're basically "house poor" except that their house is a boat? And not being able to split up because of dependency and lack of opportunity isn't exactly a selling point.

FYI, a domicile is a permanant home, not a person.

Old 02-23-2021, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
So they're basically "house poor" except that their house is a boat? And not being able to split up because of dependency and lack of opportunity isn't exactly a selling point.

FYI, a domicile is a permanant home, not a person.

Yes, yachties live on their boats for years and years moving from region to region. Some circumnavigate the planet. The selling point is they love the sea which is another way of saying they hate the life on a treadmill you and I live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living