Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2022, 09:17 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times

Advertisements

The cashier doesn't care whether or not you donate. The cashier most likely hates having to ask each customer but needs her job and can't quit over being forced to beg.

Just say "no thanks" or "not today" or shake your head in a negative motion. Seriously, nobody cares.

Some of the local stores have a decent system. Somewhere in the store, there is a table of paper bags with a coupon on them, if you want to donate a Thanksgiving dinner, or diapers, or cat food for the humane society, or whatever you are collecting for, you pick up one of those bags and when your groceries are being scanned, the coupon adds whatever amount to your bill and the cashier has the coupon to keep track of donations. No one ever asks you for donations. It is there if you want it and you can walk past it if you don't want it.

Unlike all the cute little scouts and church group kiddos who are lurking at the grocery store exits waiting to pounce and urge you to buy cookies or raffle tickets or whatever they are selling. Those little urchins have been known to put the pressure on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2022, 11:04 AM

5,575 posts, read 6,500,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I hear you. I hate saying no, too. But I disagree with you that it makes one look like a cheapskate. I also say no to cashiers asking for donations, and if they disapprove, tough cookies to them. However, they, like me, are just doing their job. If they are doing it in a harrassing way, they’re doing it wrong.

And, lol, we also have donation containers on the cashier station.

I do think it’s a tiny bit different if it’s a non-profit retail store than if it’s a container seeking donations for “hunger” or “animals” or some such. As someone upthread said, who knows where that $$ is going?
I shop my local Human Society thrift store. They take and sell donations, of which I also donate. Only open 3 days a week. They offer "specials" to the shoppers, like X% off, or other "deals". I feel this is contrary to their goal of making money for their animal charity. Why do they feel the need to offer buyers money off and then turn around and have a donation jar on the counter? Does this kind of marketing really work? Do they make more money by doing this?

I shocked the sales person once by declining the % off of what I was buying. For Pete's sake, it is a THRIFT store, and it is an animal CHARITY. I donate cash to the donation jar on the counter, sometimes just a dollar at times, even when I don't buy anything. I do my part of charitable donations. I don't need or want stores to be "aligned" with charities.

The charities do enough marketing on their own to garner donations, and I am sure they all make a pretty good haul. Mailers, media appeals, bell ringers, everyone is aware of donating to charities unless they live under a rock. It really is "never enough", is it?

Last edited by Lodestar 77; 05-16-2022 at 11:18 AM..

Old 05-16-2022, 04:07 PM

7,004 posts, read 4,811,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
I shop my local Human Society thrift store. They take and sell donations, of which I also donate. Only open 3 days a week. They offer "specials" to the shoppers, like X% off, or other "deals". I feel this is contrary to their goal of making money for their animal charity. Why do they feel the need to offer buyers money off and then turn around and have a donation jar on the counter? Does this kind of marketing really work? Do they make more money by doing this?

I shocked the sales person once by declining the % off of what I was buying. For Pete's sake, it is a THRIFT store, and it is an animal CHARITY. I donate cash to the donation jar on the counter, sometimes just a dollar at times, even when I don't buy anything. I do my part of charitable donations. I don't need or want stores to be "aligned" with charities.

The charities do enough marketing on their own to garner donations, and I am sure they all make a pretty good haul. Mailers, media appeals, bell ringers, everyone is aware of donating to charities unless they live under a rock. It really is "never enough", is it?
Yes, we do that too, lol. 25% off furniture today! Would you like to donate in addition to your purchase? They end up sometimes just paying almost regular price because they donated too.

I do agree with Oregonwoodsmoke, nobody really cares. It took me a while feeling comfortable asking, now it’s second nature. If you don’t want to, fine by me. Also, someone said upthread that the cashier really doesn’t have anything to do with store policy regarding asking to round up or donate. This is true, and it’s not fair to take it out on them.

Old 05-17-2022, 11:31 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
I see a lot of school needs being represented at the "Round-up" request.

Bit distasteful to this homeschooler, who has volunteered in Public Schools for over 40 yrs as well as paying over $20k/ yr in school related property taxes for many of those 40 yrs.

Local school 'foundations' (?) have siphoned millions of dollars of annual contributions that used to be distributed to the regional needy and very well serving and short staffed community non-profits. i.e. the charitable funding now going to local schools has put a lot of people on the streets

I'm not impressed. (If you hadn't guessed)

For my own gifting, now that I'm retired, I make full use of my DAF (started in my 30's). Donor advised Fund - great tax vehicle, great for gifting in perpetuity. Soon my RMD's will be filling the charitable need as QCD's.

I don't 'round-up'. I just seek out charities / NGO's that are well run and meeting needs in my community and society. 100% of my estate goes to charity. My kids will survive, and hopefully be gifting from their (own) gained / earned abundance.

I expect the cashier to be gifting as well, but I feel bad they must ASK each customer. "Round-up?" nope.

Old 05-19-2022, 12:24 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,482,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Wow, I had forgotten all about this trend, since it doesn't exist down here.

What we do see is jugglers or acrobats at intersections, trying to impress drivers for a coin.
LoL, at least one could say they are "working" for that coin!

My favorite is "will work for food" signs they hold at intersections or at Walmart.
When I roll down my window and say I have a job aka "work" for them, they decline.
I then report to the store or police, never see them again.

Best

Old 05-19-2022, 09:02 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
LoL, at least one could say they are "working" for that coin!

My favorite is "will work for food" signs they hold at intersections or at Walmart.
When I roll down my window and say I have a job aka "work" for them, they decline.
I then report to the store or police, never see them again.

Best
We have a one that "plays" the violin, except that he's faking it to recorded music. He does better than the average "disabled vet" sitting on the median with a cardboard sign because people figure they've been "entertained" by him. Hey, at least he's putting some effort into it! Another successful tactic is making some poor dog sit on the median with you, baking in the sun and dying of thirst while traffic mills around him.

Give them money, virtue-signal on SM, lather, rinse, repeat.

I think next time I'm asked if I'd like to round that up, I think I'll respond, "Would YOU like to round that up?"

Old 05-19-2022, 02:36 PM

22,327 posts, read 29,411,685 times
I do. It's less than a dollar and it's good karma.

Old 06-15-2022, 02:26 PM

25,943 posts, read 22,094,372 times
We started saying "no" also. One store was constantly collecting for something: roses for Mother's Day, milk for children, etc. While worthy causes, it becomes overwhelming. I always round up at the Goodwill, but other than that no donations at the stores. Online, I round up for the Salvation Army during the holidays. I have noticed a growing trend just lately, and with the inflation, we are being more careful with every penny!

Old 06-17-2022, 04:47 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,403,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
It's not "overwhelming" if you make it a policy to just say no, which I do. But one does feel a bit Scrooge-ish.
But if you’re proud of your Scrooge-ishness? Even better!

So, no Dicks …. Ooops …. Dick’s …. I don’t want to contribute to “local sports.”

Old 06-17-2022, 08:08 AM

18,051 posts, read 15,649,855 times
"No, I'd really like to round that down...by about $20!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living