Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2022, 09:53 PM

1,859 posts, read 837,121 times

Advertisements

i dont mean to tread on another post but its kinda related and i dont know where to put it

subject: tipping, lunch time
so my bill was a hair under $16 the other day, meal was good, just bbq, nothing fancy, just me. nothing abnormal. So I left a twenty, so four dollar tip, thats like 23%

Was that enough? they didnt go out the way for me, one glass of tea, had no issues, it was a nice meal. I know time is hard for wait staff. I didnt think nothing of it till I got down the road. $4 good enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2022, 10:04 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
If I want to tip, other than a food establishment, I'll just hand the person cash. Had my state inspection last week, in 105 degree temps, so I gave $5 to the two folks running the inspections, told them to get themselves a cold drink. Just courtesy, really. The guys at Jiffy Lube when I got car oil changed the same day refused a tip. Go figure.

Old 07-30-2022, 11:22 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
i dont mean to tread on another post but its kinda related and i dont know where to put it

subject: tipping, lunch time
so my bill was a hair under $16 the other day, meal was good, just bbq, nothing fancy, just me. nothing abnormal. So I left a twenty, so four dollar tip, thats like 23%

Was that enough? they didnt go out the way for me, one glass of tea, had no issues, it was a nice meal. I know time is hard for wait staff. I didnt think nothing of it till I got down the road. $4 good enough?
They didn't really do anything extra for you. I think 20% is a good tip so yours is more than sufficient. If you had wanted to tip more, that would have been fine too, but not expected.

Old 07-30-2022, 11:58 AM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
My wife and I went to Five Guys a couple of days ago, and a really nice young lady took my order and I put my Visa into the card reader. So up pops a request for a tip, giving certain percentages up to 20% and one of "other". Like I said, the girl was really nice and friendly, so I gave the machine $2 for a $25 or so bill.

But really, there should be no tip involved. All she did was take my order. No one brought my food to me, refilled my drink, or cleaned up my table. It was almost totally self-service and the store shouldn't put the customer in the embarrassing position of refusing to tip for nothing more than a smile.

I guess I'll pay cash next time and not have to deal with it.

Old 07-30-2022, 12:51 PM

7,739 posts, read 3,778,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I can see a carryout service charge added to the bill at a restaurant. Especially if it is mainly a sit-down place. Everything costs something and people are in business to make money.
There should be a carryout service DISCOUNT, not additional charge. The carryout customer does not make a mess that must be cleaned up at the table. The carryout customer does not generate more dishes that need to be washed. The carryout customer does not use the restroom which needs to be cleaned. The carryout customer does not send the soup back because it isn't hot enough, or send back the steak because it is medium-rare instead of medium, etc.

Old 07-30-2022, 12:55 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
I tip 10% on carry out orders from full service restaurants because there’s typically a waiter who has to take time away from their tables to package up my food.

I haven’t tipped counter service ever since I saw the tip jar out at a self-service frozen yogurt place and it was like ‘the madness must stop now’.

Old 07-30-2022, 04:23 PM

1,751 posts, read 2,398,424 times
If i order from a restaurant or other local business and someone has to wait on me and fill out my order, I tip 25%. I tip 20% for delivery. If somebody has to fill out my order online and leave it for me on a counter for me to walk in and ask for it I tip 10%. I tip 15% at a buffet if no one takes any order from me and I pay a blanket charge at the cash register. If I walk into a store, find and fetch the item from the shelf, and carry it to the counter, I tip zero percent even when their app says I should tip 25%. Screw that.

Old 10-21-2022, 01:25 PM

166 posts, read 96,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
My wife and I went to Five Guys a couple of days ago, and a really nice young lady took my order and I put my Visa into the card reader. So up pops a request for a tip, giving certain percentages up to 20% and one of "other". Like I said, the girl was really nice and friendly, so I gave the machine $2 for a $25 or so bill.

But really, there should be no tip involved. All she did was take my order. No one brought my food to me, refilled my drink, or cleaned up my table. It was almost totally self-service and the store shouldn't put the customer in the embarrassing position of refusing to tip for nothing more than a smile.

I guess I'll pay cash next time and not have to deal with it.
This sudden requests for tips everywhere has me puzzled. Went through a self-service drive-through car wash where the "basic" is $10. Because it was sunny, there was a young lady standing there shading the screen so customers could swipe card. The screen then pops up requesting a tip + verbally asks for one. For what Makes me think of all the many starting out jobs, even food service, where there was no tip jar, customers never offered, and we didn't even think of it. Later, there were jobs where tips were not allowed. A drive-through car wash

Old 10-21-2022, 01:39 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,806,781 times
I think a lot of people make a big deal out of tipping. Tip if you want to and don't tip if you don't want to.

If you don't like that an establishment prompts you for tips, let them know and/or just go elsewhere.

Old 10-21-2022, 02:09 PM

7,739 posts, read 3,778,838 times
A few days ago, we joined another couple at Bacchanal, a high-end buffet at Caesar's Palace with quite a variety of food. It isn't a place we would ever go, but the out-of-town couple had set their sites on it.

Including tax but no alcohol (which is extra), but without a tip, it is about $175 per couple. It isn't worth it, IMHO. It is a buffet, after all, and some of the interesting things sit under the warming lamps for quite a while.

Our waitress delivered water at the beginning, and nothing else. We flagged her down mid-way through and asked for more water and extra napkins. She begrudgingly complied. Other staff pick up used plates when you go back for other items. At one point we asked for fresh silverware, and again she appeared put-out, but brought back some fresh silverware and just sort of dumped it on the table.

The other couple suggested we each leave a 20% cash tip on the table ($35 per couple). For what? This is a buffet. I didn't think she either earned or deserved a 20% tip at a buffet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living