Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2022, 06:35 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,270,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-R View Post

Ex: a PB&J sandwich: price per slice = $0.03. One sandwich with two slices is $0.06. You can adjust the amount of peanut butter and jelly accordingly based on your hunger needs, but: 14g (grams) of peanut butter is $0.05 and around $0.03 for a serving size of jelly. That's $0.14 per sandwich, which I'd categorize as "dirt cheap."

Where are you getting bread for $0.48 / loaf?

Are you really going to get 30 sandwiches out of a 1# jar of peanut butter?

Highly unlikely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2022, 06:52 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,472,539 times
stir fry assorted veggies with shredded pork,chicken or beef -green onion,napa cabbage,brocoli,spinach,zuchini,bean sprouts.

Old 09-20-2022, 09:24 AM

3,527 posts, read 3,730,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Where are you getting bread for $0.48 / loaf?
Aldi, and I was getting that price right around the pandemic start when I priced this out, so before the supply chain disruptions, labor shortages and inflation. I pulled that data from my food tracker spreadsheet, so oops, the bread price was outdated, but basically, of the food items I listed in my previous post, only the bread seems to have increased from a spot check I did this morning; I rarely shop at Aldi, but I had a look-see anyway. The cheapest bread loaf now is $0.99 a loaf, so with 30 slices to a loaf (the # of slices may vary by loaf if you count them by hand instead of going off the label), that's $0.033 per slice instead of $0.02.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Are you really going to get 30 sandwiches out of a 1# jar of peanut butter?

Highly unlikely.
Lol. It's simple math. An 18 oz./510g plastic jar of Peanut Delight creamy peanut butter is $1.69 at Aldi. That's actually a 20-cent decrease since last I looked.

510g is the most you're going to get. 510g / 14g of peanut butter (my selected serving per PB&J sandwich) is not only 30 sandwiches, it's more. That works out to a little over 36 sandwiches. If you want multiplication, you can take 14g x 30 sandwiches, a most lofty goal to reach, and you get 420g of peanut butter used, leaving you with 90g to spare. You can fill out the rest of the six sandwiches: 14g x 6 more sandwiches = 84g of peanut butter used. So 420g + 84g = 504 grams total used, leaving you just under the 510g max.

tl;dr: yes, you are definitely going to get 30 sandwiches using 14 grams. My math is and was correct.

If 14g of peanut butter isn't enough, you can up it to 30g. 510g / 30g gets you 17 sandwiches. If you want to showboat and ball out, you can up it to 50g of peanut butter per sandwich, which will only produce a little over 10 sandwiches. The higher the portion size, the smaller the quantity of sandwiches produced, and the higher the cost, obviously.

As this example shows, and as I stated in my previous post, portion control is the golden goose. Naturally, as with any preparation, there will be transfer loss, but if you're not licking a ton of excess off the knife, you should come close to this output. The hard part is mainly in the initial experimentation in figuring out the amount of food your body will need to have enough energy for the day while staving off any hunger pains. Once you determine where that level is, the rest is just plug-and-play math.

Old 09-20-2022, 12:15 PM

708 posts, read 577,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitori View Post
Why would you want to save money on food? I think it is better to save money on clothes or a car, but not on your body. It can get sick if you starve yourself or eat low-quality food. Then the costs will be even higher
You most definitely can save money by choosing cheaper and healthier proteins, such as tofu, legumes, and quinoa to supplement your diet, and they are better for you. If you do eat meat, eat the correct portion size and add a grain if you need more. Cheaper and better for you. We eat far too much meat, being a 5 Oz portion is the size of a deck of cards. I personally have chowed down triple that much in the past. I have cut back considerably on the portion size of the meat I buy, just to save on coinage, but the truth is, it's so much healthier.

Old 09-20-2022, 12:28 PM

708 posts, read 577,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I never knew! This can be a game changer if you live in one of these areas, which I do. Thanks!

Old 09-22-2022, 08:51 PM

317 posts, read 181,714 times
I put a whole Costco rotisserie chicken into an instant pot with 4 cups of split peas. Add water to the max mark. Cook for 30 mins.

The stew that results is pretty thick I cut it with chicken stock for a smoother consistency.

Makes about 8 meals.

Costco chicken:. $5
Split peas (2lbs): $6
Costco chicken stock: $4
Total: $15, or less than $2 per meal.

You can use lentils or beans according to taste.

Old 09-22-2022, 09:33 PM

2,217 posts, read 1,323,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking_for_hope View Post
Do you have good advice to save money on food expenses? Also is enough to have 2 meals per day, a small breakfast and small dinner and also be productive to perform my job duties?
Have you check out these places?

https://twitter.com/fslovenska?lang=en
https://www.facebook.com/foodbankslovakia/
https://www.instagram.com/foodbankslovakia/

Old 09-28-2022, 06:49 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,662,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking_for_hope View Post
Do you have good advice to save money on food expenses? Also is enough to have 2 meals per day, a small breakfast and small dinner and also be productive to perform my job duties?
First, there are tons of articles and books on the subject, so why don't you start there?

Second, it doesn't matter how many meals you eat. What matters is the kind of food and the amount of calories, as needed for your particular body. I have a friend who was eating only one meal a day (not for financial reasons, but because she felt she needed to keep a firm grip on her weight).

Third, you can probably easily have three meals a day if you learn to shop carefully and cook prudently.

Old 09-28-2022, 06:57 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,250,153 times
I haven't eaten breakfast in many years. Two meals a day is fine.

During the 70s bout of inflation certain products were invented to stretch a dollar. One of those was Hamburger Helper. You can doctor up 85% lean ground beef with that stuff and it ain't bad.

You can really stretch your food dollar if you want. I don't know if you have access to Indian or Mexican (not Tex-Mex) foodstuffs near you. A lot of those dishes are spicy vegetarian dishes. You can save a lot of money by not buying meat. I think Indian cuisine is the best tasting vegetarian food out there. You can buy rice, lentils, spices in bulk for not much money.

Old 09-29-2022, 06:27 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,037,459 times
Casseroles are a good way to save, IMO. You can change out the type of meat you use or use eggs, fish, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living