Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2023, 03:08 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,830,689 times

Advertisements

I will add in cheap furniture. Our budget was strained when we bought our house so we only shopped at discount furniture stores (art vann, value city, and homegoods). I think quality furniture pays for itself over time because all of the stuff we bought is just plain bad. It falls apart and doesn't maintain shape. I won't be shopping cheap for my next set of furniture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I cut my own hair during the great pandemic lockdown. It looked bad.
LOL, my wife cut mine and lets just say I was happy to pay for my $27 haircut once things opened up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
Honestly taking on crappy room mates.

Sometimes it's worth it to pay more to live alone and have peace and quiet.
Amen! Roommates aren't worth the aggravation for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2023, 05:32 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,118,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I am debating for years if it is worth washing out zip lock plastic bags. Not sure about environmental (water usage and trash) and $$ benefits (not buying new ones) of doing or not doing it. Most of the time I just rather use tupperware to avoid washing out/throwing away ziplock bags.
Spend money on the water and soap to wash the bags....or just by new bags.
To me, I'd think that's a break even, and cleaning the bags might close more. But just micro pennies. So, to the point of the question: is it worth it.

Is it worth the time, effort and money spent on water/soap -- to clean the bags, when you can get Ziplock bags at the Dollar Store?

Old 02-14-2023, 12:18 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
To me, I'd think that's a break even, and cleaning the bags might close more. But just micro pennies. So, to the point of the question: is it worth it.

Is it worth the time, effort and money spent on water/soap -- to clean the bags, when you can get Ziplock bags at the Dollar Store?
My wife used to wash out ziplocks. I eventually figured out that quart size and smaller were throw-aways, but the gallon and larger bags that I use for "mother" bags for food portions that I freeze are worth rinsing out a few times. Most of the time, I don't even need to do that.

Old 02-14-2023, 02:36 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,186,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

Our stores collect clean plastic - it may not be worth financially and hygiene wise as well as the soap/water costs - but hopefully it will keep the cleaned bags out of landfills and the oceans.

Hopefully, it is some kind of resource for something.

Mostly we use glass and stainless steel though; cleaning only the packaging, etc so we can recycle the plastic

Old 02-17-2023, 08:46 AM

3,053 posts, read 2,028,840 times
Not worth it: planting veggies that rabbits ate to the ground.

I've been a gardener for decades in several states and we now live in North Carolina.
Covid made gardening look like a great way to be active and not pay for the gym but I've never encountered such hungry wildlife in a development before. Made me sad to lose all my lovely beans and other veggies.

So I built grow boxes for veggies bunnies really love to eat and get them above teeth level. I already owned tools so it was cost of wood only and my labor (free). Found $3 fence slats to use for construction.

Also had to buy a roll of chicken wire to put around lower height grow bags and voila nothing I care about has been eaten since.

Also not worth it: growing pumpkins and winter squash. Very labor intensive because of bad, bad squash beetles requiring many pesticide applications and I try hard to be organic. We love to eat winter squash but now I'll buy lots when it hits $1/pound because it keeps for many, many months.

Old 03-24-2023, 05:15 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,147,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Not worth it: planting veggies that rabbits ate to the ground.

I've been a gardener for decades in several states and we now live in North Carolina.
Covid made gardening look like a great way to be active and not pay for the gym but I've never encountered such hungry wildlife in a development before. Made me sad to lose all my lovely beans and other veggies.

So I built grow boxes for veggies bunnies really love to eat and get them above teeth level. I already owned tools so it was cost of wood only and my labor (free). Found $3 fence slats to use for construction.

Also had to buy a roll of chicken wire to put around lower height grow bags and voila nothing I care about has been eaten since.

Also not worth it: growing pumpkins and winter squash. Very labor intensive because of bad, bad squash beetles requiring many pesticide applications and I try hard to be organic. We love to eat winter squash but now I'll buy lots when it hits $1/pound because it keeps for many, many months.
Ugh yeah gallivanting wildlife hit up my last garden. So much sadness.

On topic- growing herb plants in pots...did not work as planned.

Oh well. I will try again, but with larger planter boxes.

Old 03-25-2023, 06:30 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,046,164 times
I had a timer on my electric water heater. It turned out to be a nuisance. What has been of value is buying premium water heaters with extra insulation and stainless steel elements. That, along with blending unsoftened water with softened water (softened water is corrosive) and replacing the sacrificial anode on a regular basis does save money. My current water heater is 13 years old. Previous water heaters only lasted 7 years.

Old 03-26-2023, 08:25 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,147,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I will add in cheap furniture. Our budget was strained when we bought our house so we only shopped at discount furniture stores (art vann, value city, and homegoods). I think quality furniture pays for itself over time because all of the stuff we bought is just plain bad. It falls apart and doesn't maintain shape. I won't be shopping cheap for my next set of furniture.

LOL, my wife cut mine and lets just say I was happy to pay for my $27 haircut once things opened up.

Amen! Roommates aren't worth the aggravation for me.

OH I had no idea HomeGoods was a discount store. Hmm.

FWIW it's usually apparent upon assembly whether an item of furniture is crappy or not. I've never got the appeal of Ikea so I stuck with vintage items or metal frames for furnishing.

Just sharing.

I usually check the Clearance Rooms at corporate furniture stores- a lot of items end up in there for being unsold after a season, OR a minor cosmetic issue (scuffs, a missing part) & sometimes overstock is parked there. Most stores are thrilled to let you shop around the store. They want your sale.

Old 03-28-2023, 06:21 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,909,666 times
Kitchen trash bags without draw strings. Better unit price but they fall into the bin constantly.

Old 03-28-2023, 09:15 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,036,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
Kitchen trash bags without draw strings. Better unit price but they fall into the bin constantly.
That's so true. I still buy them sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living