Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2024, 06:14 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Wow, 60 cents a gallon difference? In our area the max difference is around ten cents. Since our closest gas station is always on the low end, we always go there. Plus they are independently owned and we like to support family businesses.
In my area, it's under a nickel a gallon difference. In theory, that should reduce the amount of time and gasoline people waste looking for the cheapest gas station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2024, 10:22 AM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I tend to debate whether doing something "worth it" when it comes to saving money.

For example, I saw (on a YouTube segment) a person talking about collecting the water that runs while she's waiting for the water to get warm.

Of course a person could get an instant hot water fixture. But like many people, I just let the water run a bit to warm up.

Well, in my case I'm wondering -- given the size of the sink, the way I have to capture the water to then funnel it into another container if the extra effort and time are worth it

And capturing the water slows my down getting ready in the morning....because while I'm capturing the running water -- I'm NOT brushing my teeth. And because I'm taking longer to get that done -- perhaps more water is running than if I just let it run and brushed my teeth and be done with it.

Even when I saw the video segment about this, I was asking my self is that really worth it?

This morning I tried it for the first time and captured ONE GALLON of water.

I suppose I'm wondering is a gallon a day worth it....and ....am I really willing to do these extra steps on a daily basis. And ALSO -- is a gallon a day worth it IF I'm only willing to do it twice or three times a week. And what about the "extra" water that's running while I'm doing all this -- that sort of negates -- at least in part -- the reason to even do all this.

That's interesting because, in my case, it is worth it to wait until the tap water gets hot. My morning routine involves making breakfast for me and my dog. I'll elaborate for the reader's amusement.

On the way into the kitchen I pick up the dog's food dish and water pot (big dog). I set the dish on the counter, turn on the tap and fill the pot half way (big dog). By then the tap water is hot but the dog has cool water. I fill my kettle from the tap and turn on the burner to boil the water for coffee. By the time my eggs are done and the dog's dish is filled, the coffee water is ready, much quicker than if I started with cold tap water.

For me it's worth it. Saves about one minute. I've had my dog for 6 years. That's 2190 minutes or 36.5 hours that I haven't wasted while waiting for water to boil.

Old 01-10-2024, 11:56 AM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
After reading the thread here are other ideas that I've tried. Some worth it, some not.

Worth it: Eyeglasses. Nver buy eyeglasses at your eye doctor's office. They are a rip-off. Years ago I bought at a local store where I got two pair of single vision glasses for $60. Then I discovered Zenni, an online seller of eyeglasses. I was able to buy 5 pair of glasses for various purposes for $75. Lest you think they were cheap quality, the purchase was 4 years ago and they have held up very well.

Not worth it: Space heaters. To keep my electric bill reasonable in the winter I set my thermostat at 65, closed off the spare bedrooms, and used space heaters in places where I spent most of my time. This year I decided I preferred my comfort, set the thermostat at 72 and I'm not using the space heaters.

Worth it: Cash reward credit cards. I have several. Some pay as much as 5% for varying categories. Takes a few minutes every 3 months to update and I keep a card in my wallet so I know which card to pick. It's worth about $300 a year for just doing nothing. And it amuses me that the banks are paying me to use their money. Of course, that only works by paying the bill off every month and not running a balance. I also periodically sign up for new credit cards that have a sign on cash bonus. My latest one pays $300 for spending $1000 in 90 days. I already paid a $500 insurance premium so I'm half way there. Spending the next $500 on necessities will be easy.

Worth it: Gas and groceries. Frys (Kroger) is right down the street from me and has its own gas station. I buy Kroger products that are lower priced than brand names. I learned a long time ago that house brands were the same as brand names but at a lower cost. Fry's has a fuel points program. 1 point for 1 dollar spent. Maximum 1000 points for a dollar off per gallon, maximum 35 gallons. Frequent bonus points. Like this Friday 4 points per dollar spent on groceries. Another frequent bonus is 4 points per dollar spent on gift cards. I'm always buying stuff on Amazon and Home Depot so it's worth buying gift cards for the bonus. My car has an 18 gallon tank so I bring gas cans to get the full 35 gallons. That's like somebody handing me $35.

Worth it: Sam's Club for stuff I can stock up and store. Like paper products and dog food products. Might not save a lot buying in bulk, but sure saves a lot of time. And could avoid a crisis. December 2019 I made my routine purchase of bulk toilet paper, 36 rolls, and then the Covid toilet paper crisis struck. I save even more time now with their pick up service. I can order on line and for an extra $4 it's ready when I get there and they bring it out to the car. Also avoids impulse buying.

Worth it: Buying professional grade weed killer. The stuff you buy at Home Depot is very diluted so you are paying for water. I buy a gallon of professional concentrate, use a few ounces per gallon of water, lasts a long time.

Not worth it: Doing my own oil changes and car repairs. I'm a car guy with a well equipped shop and I've saved a small fortune doing stuff myself for many years. Now, the older I get the less inclined I am to do it. Lately, I've been using local shops.

Old 01-25-2024, 04:15 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
Eating cheap food and going to cheap restaurants. It's crazy to be too frugal on food because it can and will cause all manner of health problems (doctors are not cheap to see either, nor the meds they prescribe). Those health problems may be impossible to fix too. I always eat wild caught seafood, shrimp that only comes from the Gulf of Mexico, and buy organic as much as possible. Whenever I've gone to a food pantry to have a look, they usually have food that may fix your hunger temporarily but will kill you if you eat a steady diet of it.

Old 01-25-2024, 04:37 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I could NEVER live w/heat set at 72!! Yikes.

Old 01-26-2024, 07:35 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Yikes? Do you think that's too hot or too cold? Doesn't really sound out of a normal range to me, especially for some older folks.

Old 01-26-2024, 07:41 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
My spouse prefers 72 degrees and he's 76 so I let that be and take some clothes off because I'd prefer 68.
He is healthy, active and has less body fat than me.
We moved 5 years ago to North Carolina from south Florida where even he thought the heat was excessive lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living