Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 06:45 AM

22,687 posts, read 24,697,193 times

Advertisements

The only thrift-stores in my area, 3 fairly awful Goodwills.

The selection at these stores is terrible, prices are even worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2024, 06:47 PM

22,128 posts, read 13,151,603 times
I see Goodwill gave its employees Easter off; all stores were closed today.

Good for them!

Old 04-01-2024, 06:05 AM

24,782 posts, read 11,150,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I see Goodwill gave its employees Easter off; all stores were closed today.

Good for them!
Did they get paid?

Old 04-01-2024, 10:00 PM

3,982 posts, read 2,585,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Did they get paid?
I'm guessing they did because I received holiday pay when I worked at Goodwill full time. In fact, I received holiday pay for 4th of July and I had just began a week before!

Old 05-08-2024, 02:25 PM

68 posts, read 62,816 times
Retired neighbor volunteered at a southern ARC. At that time the organization had a pick-up crew. Call received for a large clothing donation. Inside the seasonal rental home was one room, several feet deep, packed with soiled clothing. Thrift store purchases, they were used by grove workers until the smell became unbearable. Cheaper to buy than to launder one can't imagine the stench they met once entering the place.

While the owner stood there, with a box of plastic bags in hand. Being the lead he informed the guy this wasn't something the charity could accept.

Old 05-09-2024, 10:33 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,653,269 times
I never understood why people try to donate items that should be thrown away. They don’t seem to care that soiled items can’t be sold. Ugh!!

Old 05-09-2024, 05:45 PM

2,207 posts, read 1,107,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I never understood why people try to donate items that should be thrown away. They don’t seem to care that soiled items can’t be sold. Ugh!!
Because they're lazy pigs who can praise themselves for "helping" a charity.

I've been in involved with charity collections in the past (such as for a family who lost everything in a house fire) and the sheer amount of useless crap people donate to "help" is insulting to both the collectors and the recipients. Old stained sheets, tacky curtains, expired canned beets, used dollar store Tupperware, etc.

Old 05-10-2024, 09:02 AM

7,074 posts, read 2,764,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
They need the receipts to justify their charitable donations on their federal taxes.

Old 05-13-2024, 07:47 AM

5,612 posts, read 6,550,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by April Twine View Post
Retired neighbor volunteered at a southern ARC. At that time the organization had a pick-up crew. Call received for a large clothing donation. Inside the seasonal rental home was one room, several feet deep, packed with soiled clothing. Thrift store purchases, they were used by grove workers until the smell became unbearable. Cheaper to buy than to launder one can't imagine the stench they met once entering the place.

While the owner stood there, with a box of plastic bags in hand. Being the lead he informed the guy this wasn't something the charity could accept.
The owner doesn't sound too bright. Glad the mess was rejected.

Old 05-14-2024, 07:46 PM

88,853 posts, read 85,240,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Because they're lazy pigs who can praise themselves for "helping" a charity.

I've been in involved with charity collections in the past (such as for a family who lost everything in a house fire) and the sheer amount of useless crap people donate to "help" is insulting to both the collectors and the recipients. Old stained sheets, tacky curtains, expired canned beets, used dollar store Tupperware, etc.
I saw the same thing. I was with a group some years ago that volunteered to sort clothing by sizes for the charity's clothing giveaway day. It's a soup kitchen/food pantry that has grown into helping people find jobs, collecting clothing, and other activities. They were putting out all the clothes they had collected into the parking lot for people to come get what they wanted.

There were some good clothes, but also some crap. I came across a pair of badly stained yellow sweatpants, like dark ink or something in a big blotch, and tossed them in the garbage. One woman who was sorting with me said "Why did you throw those away?" I told her no kid should have to walk around in pants like that. "Well, if they're poor enough, they'll be grateful..." They stayed in the garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living