Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2023, 03:07 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip-Squeak View Post
CHEAP is the food, not the people you accuse of being cheap. That was un-called for....
Understand you will be served low quality drug/chemical riddled CHEAP food which will have health side effects for up to 24 hrs. Food not worth $50.
Given that the OP didn't say the name of the restaurant -- and that none of us is the buyer for that establish -- we don't know anything about the ingredients that restaurant uses.

Quote:
We eat organic. We eat local grass fed beef or Alaskan Wild caught salmon. ......
Good for you.

Quote:

I certainly would not show favoritism to one over the other by attending some expensive dinner like this except for the two close friends I've met there.

We spend more than $50 when we go out ourselves or with friends for REAL food. Probably another $10-$15 each but it's worth it.
OK. That's you. Not the OP.

Quote:
Understand you will be served low quality drug/chemical riddled CHEAP food which will have health side effects for up to 24 hrs. Food not worth $50. Drugs do that. Not a great meal if you want to go cycling the following day. The beef will not likely be grass fed yet instead, full of drugs/hormones. A cow will have suffered much of his life for your meal versus grass fed and no hormones cows. Who knows if the seafood is farmed or real seafood caught from the ocean.

Expect to feel tired after the meal due to the drugs, or worse than tired. People who are cheap eat this kinds of food so may not notice the health effects.Wait, I don't believe that. I don't believe they are cheap but that was a cheap shot eh?
1) No way for you to now anything about the restaurant. But OK.
2) he OP didn't say anything about having questions about the health effects of the food. That's your irrelevant tangent.

Quote:

So regarding CHEAP, please refrain from falsely accusing others who do not want the health consequences, or even to spend the time, to pay $50 out each time a co-worker retires. A small inexpensive gift, homemade or card with a few lottery tickets will do. You could also donate a few bucks to a charity this person holds dear.

1) You do realize it was the OP who used the word cheap. I just responded to the issue.
2) Given that the OP didn't say co-workers had been asked to do this for others before -- your comment about paying "$50 out each time a co-worker retires" is also -- uh, not relevant.

As a matter of fact about 45 minutes before you posted, the OP said he went to the dinner, and....

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
Update:
I enjoyed the expensive entree: very tasty smoked half chicken with 2 entrees, water to drink ($22)
If you'd read that your post might have been more relevant.

Last edited by selhars; 02-11-2023 at 03:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2023, 03:31 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Update:

Yesterday was my co-workers last day at work. We ate at the job together as we had for the past 2 years. He retired and we will probably keep in touch even though he's moving to Alabama (about 5 hrs away).

Now about the retirement dinner:
All had a good time at the restaurant and I'm glad I went. I did notice that employees that were not the highest paid spend like they are loaded. 2 single mothers in our group ordered martinis, fine appetizers, $40 steak plates, then desert. I mean each must've spent like $100 not including contributing to the retiree dinner expenses.
I know both these women are single with 2-3 kids each, don't own their home and have debt. I know they go out to eat at restaurants for lunch during the work week.
A married woman brought her entire family: 2 pre-teens and husband and they had like seafood and prime rib or steak plates each, plus drinks and desert.
I enjoyed the expensive entree: very tasty smoked half chicken with 2 entrees, water to drink ($22)
I consider myself frugal in some ways but I'm not in debt!
Who cares what other partiers spent? It's their money not yours! They don't need your permission. Oddly sanctimonious to pay such close attention to other people's restaurant bill/ family finances. There's an understandable difference between frugal behavior and cheap behavior. Being judgmental of other people's spending choices for no reason tips that dial toward cheap IMO. Whatever. Glad the party was fun. I hope your co-worker was left with nice memories of everyone sharing in his celebration.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-11-2023 at 03:48 PM..

Old 02-11-2023, 03:56 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Who cares what other partiers spent? It's their money not yours! They don't need your permission. Oddly sanctimonious to pay such close attention to other people's restaurant bill/ family finances. There's an understandable difference between frugal behavior and cheap behavior. Being judgmental of other people's spending choices for no reason tips that dial toward cheap IMO. Whatever. Glad the party was fun. I hope your co-worker was left with nice memories of everyone sharing in his celebration.
Sometimes you can't help, but notice especially when someone does something you would not.

Old 02-12-2023, 05:07 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Sometimes you can't help, but notice especially when someone does something you would not.
Most of his post is about what other people spent.

Old 02-12-2023, 05:22 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Most of his post is about what other people spent.
That's appropriate and informational when you're frugal and paying a portion of the guest family. (No mention was made of their spend.). Sounds like a good decision and appropriate event for OP to attend.

Retirement party may be that last chance to see and appreciate his buddy, tho I avoid due to the high population and participation of bosses. One must be careful how and when you socialize at work.

Old 02-12-2023, 09:46 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
That's appropriate and informational when you're frugal and paying a portion of the guest family. (No mention was made of their spend.). Sounds like a good decision and appropriate event for OP to attend.

Retirement party may be that last chance to see and appreciate his buddy, tho I avoid due to the high population and participation of bosses. One must be careful how and when you socialize at work.
Commenting about how much the single moms spent on dinner was unnecessary. Decades ago, my mom used to throw cash at me once in a while so that I could do something crazy. My coupon clipping and penny pinching drove her a bit insane.

Old 02-12-2023, 10:06 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I am surprised that so many people are grousing about paying for the retiree's family's dinner. Why wouldn't you? I would think that is to be expected. I don't think I've ever been to a retirement party where the retirees spouse or children were expected to pay. That sounds pretty cheesy to me.

Old 02-13-2023, 06:41 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
The OP went and had a good time. Did he notice what other people spent? Yeah, OK.
But in the end he was there, and enjoyed himself with friends/coworkers.

Sometimes -- and I speak from experience -- it's just takes some time -- a minute or a while -- to wrap your mind around spending more for something than you thought you would.

Seems to me the OP was shocked by the cost in the beginning when he was first told about the dinner and invited. BUT....after the "unexpectedness" of it....he took a step back, regrouped, and ultimately decided that going to the event was worth it to him.
So he went, and ultimately, had a good time.

Old 02-13-2023, 08:03 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
A co-worker is retiring and someone on his immediate work group has sent out emailed invitations to named individuals to the retirement dinner at a local restaurant.
I went on-line to review the menu and the meals run $20-40!
Now I called the person who is coordinating this and she informed me that they also plan to pay for his wife and his son's dinner. They figured their total to be around $150.
She then tells me that not everyone invited has responded that they are coming.
After thinking over this, I am having second thoughts about going myself.
I mean, I never go out and spend this much on a meal for myself so why should I shell out more $$ paying for the retiree and his wife and his 30-yr old son (still lives at home). I figure it might add another $15 to my dinner.
Normally, I would just retract my invitation but problem is me and the retiree share commutes together over the past 2 years and we've gotten to be sort of pals.
Open to suggestions/thoughts on how to handle this one; by the way, the dinner is in 2 days.

Why isn't the company paying for it? There were a couple of people who retired from my previous place of employment. They would do a group dinner and the company president paid for everyone's meal.

Old 02-14-2023, 05:35 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Why isn't the company paying for it? There were a couple of people who retired from my previous place of employment. They would do a group dinner and the company president paid for everyone's meal.
Depends on how many people work there. When I worked, and if it was a free meal, that would be about 1200 dinners.

People that retired after 50 years' service did get a banquet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living