Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2023, 04:57 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...a367e43606fbc9

An article about counterfeit stamps.

To those of you who won't spend $0.55 for a stamp to mail your payments, start adding up the "convenience fees", $3 here, $5 there, 10% somewhere else for paying on-line. Some places charge them on ACH transactions also.
How about none?

My mortgage, credit cards, utilities and insurance all get paid by ACH, and none of them charge an additional fee for this. However, some of them would charge me to mail a paper statement, which would be required to mail a payment.

I guess I could sign up for electronic only statements, then print out my monthly payment slip, write a check, get an envelope, purchase stamps. But then I have to buy ink for the printer, and that is expensive an annoying. But I would also have to remember to do all of this, when I have everything on autopay.

The only thing I have to pay with an online fee is my car registration. That does cost an additional $2-3. There is a DMV office about a mile from my office, so I pay in person on my lunch hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2023, 06:32 AM

4,138 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Quote:
There used to be. When offices or even homes were broken into stamps were one of the "go to" items. I had a cop tell me once that was one way they began to figure out who the burglar was. An amateur/kids would leave things like stamps (and silver) while a professional would take them, especially the big rolls.
The stamps were left, but the sterling silver Mensa tie tack was stolen. The burglar was caught and convicted, and I got the clarinets back because the music store was owned by an honest man. I was told by the deputy that the places that buy gold and silver do not cooperate with law enforcement. That's why I scowl whenever I see an ad from these places.

Old 02-20-2023, 08:16 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...a367e43606fbc9

An article about counterfeit stamps.

To those of you who won't spend $0.55 for a stamp to mail your payments, start adding up the "convenience fees", $3 here, $5 there, 10% somewhere else for paying on-line. Some places charge them on ACH transactions also.
I'm not doubting you, but anecdotally in my own personal experience, I have never once come across an organization, be it commercial or governmental, that charges for ACH withdrawals from my checking account. (I have run across one or two that will charge if you make your payment through an employee rather than the automated system.)

Old 02-20-2023, 08:43 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'd suspect that half price stamps offered online are counterfeits. I would not test whether or not they would go through without detection. Or maybe they are stolen.

You save money on stamps by paying your bills on line.

My county is also one that requires taxes paid by check, but I save that postage stamp by hand delivering my taxes direct to the assessor's office. I don't much trust the post office with a check that large.

While I am always interested in ways to save money, I am not interested is using fraud to do it
I've bought them from ebay and they aren't counterfeit and Ebay has pretty good buyer protection now so if you got scammed you'd get your money back

Old 02-20-2023, 01:38 PM

45,320 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I'm not doubting you, but anecdotally in my own personal experience, I have never once come across an organization, be it commercial or governmental, that charges for ACH withdrawals from my checking account. (I have run across one or two that will charge if you make your payment through an employee rather than the automated system.)
My most recent one was paying off a college loan. I started to do phone payments the last year and each month was "ACH Payment" with a total $3 more than the payment.

The electric company I use did charge a 10% (yes, you read that right) ACH charge for awhile although it's now a flat "convenience fee"

The new hot lick is for vendors to charge 3% if you use a credit card (although their agreements forbid it).

Macy's used to charge a "convenience fee".

I have the sneaky suspicion that many people don't realize that that "convenience" does cost them.

Old 04-15-2023, 06:30 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I've seen stamps for sale ads on Facebook. A look with Google came up with positive results.

Anyone paid 1/2 price or near half price for a roll of stamps.

Today's price is $63 for a roll of 100. Here you see sellers of rolls of stamps.
Technically it says it's legally ok. Who sells these?

Well it may be someone that bought 50 rolls back when a roll cost $39 which would be going way back in time. Profit would be 50 x $24 = $1200.

Postal rates don't seem to go up often enough or high enough for there to be an unlimited number of sellers.

I'd hate to have a letter come back postage due with "phony stamp."

Anyone bought this way?

It seems like I'm always forking out $6.30 for 10 stamps. Buying in volume makes sense.

We did, three times. The first two were legit, and though not half off, well worth the cost.

The last, Chinese counterfeits. We got a refund.

Old 04-15-2023, 06:52 AM

106,560 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
We have to pay three property taxes by check. The county treasurer charges $3 if we use a credit card.
Christmas and other greeting cards, other misc. mailings like tax returns. We could use a roll of 100.
i haven’t mailed tax returns in many years

Old 04-15-2023, 05:56 PM

1,779 posts, read 1,202,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i haven’t mailed tax returns in many years

Cheaper to mail state tax than pay $25 via Turbo Tax! My state does not have a website to file free.

Old 04-15-2023, 08:28 PM

2,025 posts, read 3,345,213 times
I buy stamps on USPS.com. I LOVE stamps! No discount, but lots of choices.

Being a retired postal clerk, i send lots of cards. And people love getting them. I enjoy bringing that bit of happiness. Etsy has so many cool shops with people making amazing art cards.

Old 04-18-2023, 12:35 PM

37,589 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
Cheaper to mail state tax than pay $25 via Turbo Tax! My state does not have a website to file free.
Might be cheaper, but I prefer the faster processing time, and no chance of my return getting lost or misplaced. Been filing electronically for longer than I can remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living