Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2023, 01:46 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin2 View Post
I stopped at the 7-11 to get beer, wine and ice (camping trip). Four bags of ice cost almost $15.00. I knew the beer and wine would cost a lot, but wasn't expecting the ice to be so high ($3.35/bag).

I know, I could've driven into town to get it cheaper, but I was lazy. Obviously I need to buy one of those fancy Yeti 5-day coolers! Think how much I'd save on ice!
You should be shopping at Buccee's. I think the ice is supposed to be pretty cheap there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2023, 06:06 AM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
There was a time when I drank nothing but tap water. But about 30 years ago, I was looking out my window one day and saw a big column of smoke on the horizon. I turned on the TV and they were reporting that a large pile of cedar shingles near the water treatment plant had caught fire. A few hours later I filled a glass with water to take a drink, and immediately noticed that something was wrong. The water smelled bad, had an oily yellowish color to it, and there were small black particles clearly floating it in it.

I quickly ran to the nearby Safeway store where they had a large semi-truck in the parking lot selling bottled water and people lined up to buy it. After that the news reported that the water was in fact contaminated with runoff from the cedar fire, and that people should not drink it until they had a chance to test it. The next day the EPA showed up, tested the water and announced that, yes the water did look bad, yes it did smell bad, and yes it did taste bad, but that it was perfectly safe to drink.

That was when I lost all faith in tap water. When yellow water with cedar ash particles floating in it is deemed safe to drink, the standards are just too low IMHO. Since then I have only drank tap water as a last resort. There was one exception. A few years ago were I live now, one day I got busy, missed a shopping trip and ran out of bottled water. So I resorted to water out of the tap. My first thought was, you know this tap water doesn't taste so bad. It actually tastes pretty good. Maybe it is safe to drink. Maybe I can save money and not buy anymore bottled water. That lasted about 2 weeks. One day I took a drink, it tasted terrible, and I had to spit it out. I immediately jumped in my car and drove to Walmart to buy a case of Aquafina. After that I noticed posts on the city's FaceBook page complaining about the water quality, and the city acknowledged that they were working on the problem.

I hate paying for bottled water, but clean drinking water is just too important, not to buy it.
My tap water is clean. It tastes great. That would suck to have to buy drinking water.

Old 05-07-2023, 09:15 AM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
My tap water is clean. It tastes great. That would suck to have to buy drinking water.
The problem is that your tap water is flowing to you through hundreds of miles of possibly hundred year old lead pipes. There is no telling what types of contaminants its picking up along the way. Nobody is even testing your water at your tap, and even testing it at the water treatment plant doesn't prove much. Because the acceptable standards are so low. If the water won't kill you, then the EPA will find it to be acceptable to drink. That still doesn't mean it's healthy to drink it.

I'm not even convinced about the safety of bottled water. But I'm pretty sure it's about 100 times better than tap water.

Old 05-07-2023, 09:55 AM

4,863 posts, read 4,801,062 times
Quote:
The problem is that your tap water is flowing to you through hundreds of miles of possibly hundred year old lead pipes. There is no telling what types of contaminants its picking up along the way. Nobody is even testing your water at your tap, and even testing it at the water treatment plant doesn't prove much. Because the acceptable standards are so low. If the water won't kill you, then the EPA will find it to be acceptable to drink. That still doesn't mean it's healthy to drink it.

I'm not even convinced about the safety of bottled water. But I'm pretty sure it's about 100 times better than tap water.

Our tap water is coming out of the ground maybe 200 yards from our house in pipes that were put down 25-30 years ago. It all depends where you are and how much irrational fear you want to hold.

Old 05-07-2023, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Our tap water is coming out of the ground maybe 200 yards from our house in pipes that were put down 25-30 years ago. It all depends where you are and how much irrational fear you want to hold.
Lucky you. Unfortunately 99.9999% of Americans don't have that option. So they have to rely on old corroded lead pipes to get them their water from questionable water sources.

Old 05-07-2023, 11:34 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Quote:
........I'm not even convinced about the safety of bottled water. But I'm pretty sure it's about 100 times better than tap water.
As long as you don't think about what it might be dissolving out of the plastic bottle it has been shipped and stored in.

Old 05-07-2023, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
As long as you don't think about what it might be dissolving out of the plastic bottle it has been shipped and stored in.
Good point, but I believe everybody gets about 5 grams of microplastics in their bodies per week, just from exposure to plastics. Bottled water likely increases that amount by a little, but I will still take that over lead anyday. The only health risks I can find about microplastics, is that they might harm human cells. Lead on the other hand has been proven to attack just about every organ in the human body.

As I said, I'm not fooling myself to thinking that there are no health risks to bottled water. But I'm still betting that the risk is quite a bit lower than tap water.

Old 05-07-2023, 03:58 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,576,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
HEB being overpriced ... That is a surprise?

Why should they offer reasonable prices on bottled water when they don't offer reasonable prices on anything else? When I drive through Texas, I am always surprised how expensive grocery prices are compared with the Midwest and Arizona.

I think I paid $2.49 for 24 0.5L bottles of water at the local Kroger affiliate last week.

Please tell me where you priced shooed H‑E‑B with Kroger or Walmart and H‑E‑B overpriced everything because if you cross shop regionally H‑E‑B isn’t overpriced. You referring H‑E‑B vs other states seems a bit silly

Old 05-08-2023, 07:47 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,049,216 times
Quote:

As someone who actually worked at a water treatment plant, my experience is quite different. Here's a link to the City of Wooster Consumer Confidence Reports:
https://www.woosteroh.com/water/water-quality-reports
Note the extensive number of tests performed on raw water, treated water, and from taps throughout the City.

Here's a link to the Ohio EPA Lead Lines Mapping Project:
https://epa.ohio.gov/divisions-and-o...-lines-mapping
Wooster City PWS is on page 79. While some cities do have lead water lines, I could find no evidence of lead water lines in Wooster. The thoroughness of the report I did in 2017 speaks for itself, especially since the 2022 report simply states that there are no changes.

Old 05-08-2023, 08:48 AM

3,198 posts, read 1,662,548 times
Tap water should only be used to wash stuff and not to be consumed. There is so much harmful chemicals injected. You think you're saving money drinking it, but your health will suffer. It's a hidden cost.

Look at your home pipe and look at that mineral buildup from calcification and chorine residual. That what you use in swimming pools to keep microbes down and you're going to drink that? That will kill your cells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living