Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2023, 03:03 PM

2,024 posts, read 979,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Many people still correspond or send birthday/Christmas cards. Some bills even need to go into an envelope.
We do probably 350 a year, xmas and birthday/anniversary/condolence/etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2023, 03:13 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,576,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I have a tendency to want gifts I give to others to be something they will use. They don't need any knick-knack to sit on a table and do nothing. They don't need new picture frames or other type of gift.
Two examples: I gave someone who has everything a roll of stamps. They'll use them guaranteed.
Another who loved rock and roll I gave a video called Rock Pop & Doo Wop and a gift card to their favorite cafeteria and a book of stamps.
Boring gifts but they will get used.

I don't need "things" (money is not a thing thank goodness) so give me a case of toilet paper. However I guess things can be sold.
Definitely. Always has been. Not cheap. Practical and not expensive. Or...a bit pricey but on a great sale.

Old 07-12-2023, 10:09 PM

3,068 posts, read 1,679,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I have a tendency to want gifts I give to others to be something they will use. They don't need any knick-knack to sit on a table and do nothing. They don't need new picture frames or other type of gift.
Two examples: I gave someone who has everything a roll of stamps. They'll use them guaranteed.
Another who loved rock and roll I gave a video called Rock Pop & Doo Wop and a gift card to their favorite cafeteria and a book of stamps.
Boring gifts but they will get used.

I don't need "things" (money is not a thing thank goodness) so give me a case of toilet paper. However I guess things can be sold.
This isn't a matter of 'frugal' necessarily; rather, it's being practical. You want to give them something they would appreciate and use. I don't see where $ is necessarily an issue.

Old 07-12-2023, 10:12 PM

3,068 posts, read 1,679,759 times
I always try to match the gift with the person. For one example, I worked with a woman who had a thing for Robert Plant. I ordered her a Robert Plant mousepad for Christmas, and it was probably one of the few gifts she appreciated (she's a picky sort).

Old 07-13-2023, 01:13 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,193,480 times
No, because I rarely give gifts and everyone knows it. Even the people who give me little gifts for every occasion know not to expect things from me. If and when I DO give a gift it's either for a special occasion (wedding or other party related celebration I'm attending) or a "I saw this and thought of you" sort of thing. Either way I don't worry to much about the cost. I'm not buying anyone a car or anything but I like giving something that I know will be appreciated. That doesn't mean they can't be inexpensive though! A big hit was one of those stainless expandable vegetable steamers that you put in the bottom of a pot that I gave to someone who seriously didn't know what a steamer was and only knew how to boil vegetable. She was amazed by it and it was only about $3.00!

Old 07-13-2023, 07:07 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Our family just doesn't do the constant gift giving like other families, thank goodness. We have five adult married kids so I love it when I can find a good, practical family gift for all of them at Christmas. We don't spend a lot and we don't expect any gifts back. I'll buy my mom things throughout the year if I see something that I think she'd use.

For the grandkids - I usually go to Ollie's throughout the year and stock up on toys for various ages. The older kids usually get cash. I've bought them books and then hide $5 bills throughout the book.

Old 07-15-2023, 02:39 PM

1,380 posts, read 722,099 times
Not a gift giver and thankfully none of my friends are either. We just go out for a meal and leave it at that. Family decided decades ago to stop giving gifts, just too many of us. Such a relief.

I do give my mother a birthday gift and guess what she wants... stamps!!

Old 07-16-2023, 09:10 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,557,771 times
I wouldn't say that frugality has a part in my gift giving, but practically most certainly does.

We three siblings in my family opted out of routine gift giving at Christmas some time ago with the caveat that if we see something that really makes us think of someone, we're free to give it with no expectation of reciprocation. (This is how I ended up with several pints of homemade kraut several years running, which was fine by me as my SIL's family makes great sauerkraut. It's also why I give my SIL good Dutch process cocoa for Christmas as she's never spend that much on it for herself.)

Mom is free to give anyone anything and we're free to give to her, too. The kids and the adults *do* exchange gifts as my brother and SIL wanted to teach the kid the value of both giving and receiving gifts and not to be just "takers" at the holidays. The kids are now young adults, so they generally go together on giving things to the fully-fledged adults in the family with some parental guidance on what to buy or make.

So in terms of the actual gifts given, we're all very practical people in my family so we don't tend to give things simply for the sake of giving them. Second-hand things are also fine depending upon the item.

I generally give the kids some money plus a small, often consumable gift tailored to things that I know that they enjoy or something for which they've specially asked (i.e., last year, my niece wanted chopsticks , so I went to the local Asian market and bought a variety of chopsticks for her to use). Larger gifts we tend to go in together on (i.e. nephew wanted to have a food processor and second-hand ones were specially okay-ed by him. Ended up finding a new-in-box one on Craigslist from someone who was moving, mom and I went together on the purchase.)

The best gifts that Mom gives us are the annual Christmas boxes that she gives to each of her kids and grandkids. They contain a mix of practical items (hygiene products, paper products, foodstuffs, and yes, stamps for all of us!) and treats (candy/chips/pretzels, soda, fun socks, maybe a pair of earrings). When my dad was still living, he'd toss in car care items in there as his contribution. My folks began this tradition when my oldest sibling was in college and just never stopped doing it as we all really enjoy and appreciate it.

Old 07-16-2023, 09:21 AM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Not really. My wife has put $100/month in a Christmas Club as far back as she can remember. Right now at Christmas we have 5 grands under 18, and 11 (plus one on the way) grandyoungsters to buy for. They all get a toy and an outfit. Grands over 18 and our kids/spouses get a $50 gift card and some goodies we bake for Christmas. Money usually works out pretty good.
Got an addition to my post. My wife is looking at Temu for a lot of Christmas gifts this year. We've ordered quite a bit for us from there and haven't had any junk yet.

Old 07-16-2023, 09:30 AM

3,141 posts, read 1,596,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
I wouldn't say that frugality has a part in my gift giving, but practically most certainly does.

We three siblings in my family opted out of routine gift giving at Christmas some time ago with the caveat that if we see something that really makes us think of someone, we're free to give it with no expectation of reciprocation. (This is how I ended up with several pints of homemade kraut several years running, which was fine by me as my SIL's family makes great sauerkraut. It's also why I give my SIL good Dutch process cocoa for Christmas as she's never spend that much on it for herself.)

Mom is free to give anyone anything and we're free to give to her, too. The kids and the adults *do* exchange gifts as my brother and SIL wanted to teach the kid the value of both giving and receiving gifts and not to be just "takers" at the holidays. The kids are now young adults, so they generally go together on giving things to the fully-fledged adults in the family with some parental guidance on what to buy or make.

So in terms of the actual gifts given, we're all very practical people in my family so we don't tend to give things simply for the sake of giving them. Second-hand things are also fine depending upon the item.

I generally give the kids some money plus a small, often consumable gift tailored to things that I know that they enjoy or something for which they've specially asked (i.e., last year, my niece wanted chopsticks , so I went to the local Asian market and bought a variety of chopsticks for her to use). Larger gifts we tend to go in together on (i.e. nephew wanted to have a food processor and second-hand ones were specially okay-ed by him. Ended up finding a new-in-box one on Craigslist from someone who was moving, mom and I went together on the purchase.)

The best gifts that Mom gives us are the annual Christmas boxes that she gives to each of her kids and grandkids. They contain a mix of practical items (hygiene products, paper products, foodstuffs, and yes, stamps for all of us!) and treats (candy/chips/pretzels, soda, fun socks, maybe a pair of earrings). When my dad was still living, he'd toss in car care items in there as his contribution. My folks began this tradition when my oldest sibling was in college and just never stopped doing it as we all really enjoy and appreciate it.
I enjoyed reading the variety of practical gifts tailored to each person and the creative sourcing. Re stamps. My daughter who does most things electronically invariably has something that needs mailing and who does she ask for a stamp.
ME. Now every Christmas I get her a book of LOVE stamps -- packing double duty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living