Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2023, 11:14 AM

7,074 posts, read 4,514,055 times

Advertisements

When I got divorced I downsized to a 855 sq ft condo that has 2 bedrooms. One of my sons remodeled it for me and then stayed for a year. It was big enough for the two of us. I have enclosed the 55 sq ft balcony and now it’s both indoor and outdoor space. I spend 3-4 hours a day reading out there looking at the courtyard. I was determined not to rent a storage unit and got rid of anything that didn’t fit.

Old 09-08-2023, 11:39 AM

4,600 posts, read 2,990,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
For a whole host of reasons I don't think the approach should be thought well of;
that the underlying premise of "doing it all alone" is more costly and on many levels.
But there are a lot of single people in this country. And a single person can go basic when he/she chooses;
there's no need to convince a partner that this is the thing to do.

More to the point, trying to think of what's a "basic" amount of space for a family would be more complicated,
because there are more variables -- how many kids, what are their ages, what activities do they like, etc.

Old 09-08-2023, 12:34 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
This forum focuses on financial frugality, but that's not the only kind.
People who are frugal for ethical reasons might also want to refrain from
taking up more space on the planet than is needed to lead a simple
but comfortable life. We could call that living-space frugality.

How much space do you think is 'enough' for a single person?
Could you live in a "tiny house"? A micro-apartment? A van?

I live in a large studio apartment (but have had to rent a storage unit too...
books are to blame).
It depends on what you are doing.
A, B, C.

A: Single me, running a 10 acre ranch as a nature preserve. Is that too big?

B: Say it was someone who supported volunteer efforts for others by supplying them with tools, transportation, day support in food and drink......and they have all that stuff for the benefit of others in a great big barn. Is that too big?

C: But say it was someone who did nothing and just had a studio to live in......then what good are they to the world? Should they just be a bit more frugal and die, give that air they breath to someone else?

Old 09-08-2023, 01:05 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,284,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
I once drew up a small efficiency suite : 324 sf (18'x18'), that shoehorned a "dymaxion" bathroom module, kitchenette, and bar height counter & stools into the space (and with universal access).
However, I think I can upscale it using capsule / pod styling to cram even more.

Kitchenette => bar counter => Sofa/bed/ futon => Wall mount TV / monitor
|wet wall|
Bathroom
- - - - - -

This is the basic idea of the bar / sofa => TV, with the kitchenette opposite of the bar countertop.
For "capsule" duties, add a loft overhead, for a bunk bed, or storage.

I see places like this and there is mention of building a loft or something overhead. That's when it hits me that you can't take this space into your final years. You may end up in a nursing home anyway, but having a bedroom on the ground floor allows you to stay in that house for a much longer time. A tiny home space may only be for a certain time period of your life and then you upsize. IMO, there are more practical ways to live.

Personally, I would only have a small space if there was a benefit to me. Living cheaper would probably be one of the few reasons I would do it.

Old 09-08-2023, 01:38 PM

8,051 posts, read 12,764,996 times
I currently live in a 680sqft home by myself. I find it to be just right in size for my lifestyle. I have seen homes that have 700 sqft bedrooms and it leaves me scratching my head as to why. I use my bedroom to sleep; why would I need 700 sqft to do that?

I cringe at the thought of heating and cooling square footage I don't need to. I am sure the county tax office LOVES people with 5000 sqft + homes too.

It is not that I am poor that I live in a small house; I just don't like wasting money.

Last edited by Wartrace; 09-08-2023 at 02:33 PM..

Old 09-08-2023, 01:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
A big help towards being frugal is to buy in bulk and to cook at home, which means you need storage space and cooking equipment.
a rural solution ...
Big shop, small home (barndominium or similar)
Neighbor has a 120' x 240' shop with a 3 story apt in one end.
Plenty of space for 'stuff' (and 3 semitrucks) INSIDE!

Our leased out rural homes have shops and cabins for me, whenever I happen to want to go there.

16x20 seems adequate for a cabin.
shops are 40x70.
+ barns, sheds, covered picnic areas

Old 09-08-2023, 02:07 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Poor people have been living in tiny shacks and rooms throughout history. It's only been in the last couple of decades that "tiny homes" have become trendy, and "van living"has only been trendy for the past few years.

There's a lot to be said for having enough household infrasture to store, prepare, and even grow (some of) your own food. Can't do that while living in a vehicle or in a studio/tiny home with a "kitchenette."

Old 09-08-2023, 02:18 PM

3,108 posts, read 1,002,933 times
Quote:
1 - Could you live in a "tiny house"?
2 - A micro-apartment?
3 - A van?
1 - Yes.
2 - Yes.
3 - Probably for a limited time.

I'm from Europe, everything is tiny there compared to the US.

Old 09-08-2023, 02:22 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
You could look at it another way:

If you have lots of space to do stuff, then you are not off driving around all over the place which has negative impacts also.

I have enough space to exercise, both cardio and weights. I cook almost everything at home and from scratch, so I need a large kitchen. I have multiple hobbies that need room too. I have a vegetable garden, so space is needed for that.

Etc.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-08-2023, 02:28 PM

9,115 posts, read 6,160,628 times
Quote:
This forum focuses on financial frugality, but that's not the only kind.
People who are frugal for ethical reasons might also want to refrain from
taking up more space on the planet than is needed to lead a simple
but comfortable life. We could call that living-space frugality.

How much space do you think is 'enough' for a single person?
Could you live in a "tiny house"? A micro-apartment? A van?

I live in a large studio apartment (but have had to rent a storage unit too...
books are to blame).

I think that many people believe that "too much space" is just slightly more than they have.

My house is about 2000 sq ft.

I think that is just the right amount of space for the life I lead.

Space for entertaining family for holidays and space for visitors to stay when they visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living