Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2023, 10:50 AM

2,050 posts, read 993,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
But it doesn't. It's all used on a regular basis. It's not super big, 2800 sq ft for two.
That sounds huge to me.

Old 09-09-2023, 10:51 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Sure, but the alternative to having your house feel very, very small during one of the holidays would be having your house feel very, very big for 51 weeks out of the year.
Depends on the family because for some, those Holidays are at least 12 days long. To illustrate that point, being a military brat, Christmas wasn't just celebrated on the 25th but sometimes the week after with some, maybe the week before with some, just when people could get there.

In regards to how the house might feel, such a month might be very joyous time of being, the house, the landing spot for all.

Long story short of it is that just as there are some "cultures" that see a very short period for those reasons, so there are other cultures that could see a long period for those reasons.

On another angle to this thread, it occurred to me how my doing rescues is a time of an extended generation house hold and hence, a frugal approach. That's the good news.

The bad news is......that since I am footing the bill, it could be an uneconomic frugality.

Old 09-09-2023, 11:11 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
No, today's "tiny house" is a trailer that you park in your parents' back yard so you can use their shower, washing machine, dryer, etc., and then claim you're being all innovative and "low impact". It's not a sustainable way to live.
LOL! I kinda like your definition better.

Old 09-09-2023, 01:19 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
But it doesn't. It's all used on a regular basis. It's not super big, 2800 sq ft for two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
That sounds huge to me.
Yeah, me too. My house is genuinely small (1300 sq ft for five). A house more than twice as big for two would be in my "super huge" category, but I have found that this perception varies a lot by region. I don't know if there even are houses as small as mine in some parts of the country. Maybe for one person?

Old 09-09-2023, 01:46 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,701,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Humorous music video showing the peculiarities of the khrushchyovka. Pioneers of the "tiny house" concept, indeed. From the movie : Stilyagi ("Hipsters").
Thanks for the link... nice touch, about how the guy's aunt went to prison, just because she hung Stalin's portrait across from the toilet. Those apartments aren't Khruschyevkas, by the way; they're pre-war communal apartments... still, would be nice to have that much square footage, even if the bathroom and kitchen are shared.

Old 09-09-2023, 02:55 PM

2,539 posts, read 1,907,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I live in a just-over-900 square feet condo. It works well for me, but I wouldn't want to share this space with another person. I refuse to rent a storage facility. My theory is: if you have to rent a storage facility to house your stuff, you have too much stuff. I'm not a minimalist, but my place is pretty uncluttered.
I live in a 2200 square foot house alone. I am planning to downsize to a condo of about 900 square feet in the next year. I am purging by giving away a steady stream of items on a FB Buy Nothing site. The relief at seeing things go out the door to people who can use them is tremendous. I am looking forward to moving with a lot less stuff.

Old 09-09-2023, 03:06 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I said I could, but I haven't yet. Conceptually, IF, the most likely, are free running cats, a cat in isolation room 1 (dance room), one in isolation room 2 (loft), a dog in the dog room (utility/ante).

Long story short, in relation to our thread, frugality is easiest to figure out when it is only you but when others depend on you, not only is it more difficult but perhaps it is a word that should not even be in the lexicon.

With frugality, one is calculating how to get by while still cutting down. With the ranch and rescues, it is "I have all this room, let me give more time for that cat (or dog), that human who needs it to find the distinguished member of the 4 legged gang furever home." So in the human concept, it may be a paradox.

BUT, in the grand picture, can one be frugal while doing the other. In at least one sense, yes, such as where one sacrifices their own comforts so to supply to the mission. In my case, that is alcohol but another example might be realizing one is part of the pack, that it is not human and animal, and we all share much together. That is, say, the rooms and things that are traditionally human only; the bed, the couch, the bathroom are no longer human only spaces. Further, it might be there in concepts of living in the forest with the animals.......but I am still trying to figure out that "vision".

Can frugality be an overall philosophy?

I think if you portion your money for charity and use it the way you describe then that is your charitable giving. I guess some people do live frugally so they can afford their charitable giving. I see nothing wrong with that. Also, it has never been clear to me that you need to be frugal and that you could just do both and provide for yourself and your animal stuff. Things we do to simplify life and improve life like giving up alcohol is just something that also saves money as a byproduct in my mind.

My issue with the animal rescue is my aging. I will have to give to animal rescue charity organizations instead of rescuing an animal here and there. I cannot guarantee very much lifespan any longer. I guess if you wanted to continue doing that you might partner with an animal organization that could swoop in if and when something happened to you.

No, I do not think caring for our four legged friends is frugal. I think it is charitable. I think it is pure love.

Old 09-09-2023, 03:59 PM

4,600 posts, read 2,990,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I live in a just-over-900 square feet condo. It works well for me, but I wouldn't want to share this space with another person. I refuse to rent a storage facility. My theory is: if you have to rent a storage facility to house your stuff, you have too much stuff. I'm not a minimalist, but my place is pretty uncluttered.
If I had a 1BR apartment, I wouldn't have needed the storage space (coulda, shoulda, woulda).

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Third, from a psychological perspective, there is a taint of self-justification;
something that always is suspect in claimed moral decisions.
Nothing wrong with that, as long as one doesn't tell others that their behavior is inferior.

Old 09-09-2023, 04:47 PM

1,042 posts, read 873,399 times
4 of us in a 3/2, somehow 2 living room 1100 square feet. And it feels fine. There were 14 of us here last weekend with plenty ofroom for more and it didn't feel cramped. [of course we spent alot of time on the back patio and the kids were outside much of the time. It felt cozy, in the nicest sense of the word]

We do have a garage with an attic so Christmas, other seasonal items, Avon inventory, hundreds of books and many other things are stored there until needed.

We did just move here 2 weeks ago and are planning and hoping for quite a few visits from our loved ones. When they come we will make space. My oldest son, though, has told us that if too many come at once they can stay in his 7 bedroom home.

I know when I was growing up, we, like most people, lived in an 800 to 900 square foot house. There were 3 bedrooms, one for the parents, 1 for the boys and 1 for the girls. And 1 bathroom. Hair and makeup done in bedrooms and there were puke pans and bedpans my mom brought from the hospital for when more than 1 person was sick. I never felt crowded except when my brother was popping his zits or doing God knows what in the bathroom and taking up more than his share of time.

I know in the U.K most homes are still this small. "I'm not sure what happened to us as a people that a couple generations later we "need" so much room. Or why we would want it [the second bathroom I can understand.] We stillhave room to play games at the table, watch tv in the living/family room or read a book or practice the harmonica in our bedrooms. If our room mates were being loud and annoying we learned to tune them out from a young age.
Piano and saxophone were relegated to the garage. And, without realizing it at the time, we were kinder to the environment.

We had less "crap" and today I think most people now tend to have too much of it. As a matter of fact, almost 20 times as many people living in larger homes are renting storage units to store more stuff. Why? i don't understand.

Last edited by vicky3vicky; 09-09-2023 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: added

Old 09-09-2023, 04:49 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
I do not think you can have too many bathrooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living