Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2024, 09:44 AM

7,321 posts, read 4,115,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Not at this rate of prevalence, this is more than just a few token examples.
Well, most of suburban New York is leaving. The property taxes are far too high for seniors. Yes, there is a deduced property tax for senior with income including social security less than $50,000 a year. However, no one could live in parts of Westchester (outside of New Vernon, White Plains, Peekskill, Port Chester) on $50,000 a year anyway.

I worked on my NY gardens for well over a decade and I loved it! My cousins all live in the NYC metro area - as well as my sister. OTOH, I knew I had to leave. My property tax, the county tax and energy bills were all rising. I had a choice - I could live somewhere else or I could live for my house - meaning every cent would be spent on my house's upkeep. You know what? I moved to Virginia and I have more NY friends here than I did in NY. The result of the influx of New Yorkers is rents are rising in Virginia - if I didn't buy, I don't know if I could plan to stay.

Airbnb is a plague on society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2024, 06:31 PM

2,048 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post

Airbnb is a plague on society.
Amen to that. I'm in a small mountain town that was 'discovered' about three years ago, which has turned the housing & rental market upside down. Finding ordinary housing for ordinary local residents is nearly impossible - now everything has to be "luxury" and vacation rentals. A quick look at AirBnb for my zip code shows over 500 listings. Many of those places formerly housed the local workforce, who continue to get pushed out. There's not nearly 500 listings for long term rentals. Maybe three, on a good day.

I've had direct acquaintance with people who have had to get creative and live in a barn, or park an RV under a lean-to or a friend's backyard, set up 'illegal' apartments in commercial buildings. Just regular working class people who are on the verge of leaving the area for good, because having shelter shouldn't be so hard.

Old 02-29-2024, 04:26 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I wonder what sort of intrusive politics is making their life unpleasant. SC is pretty independent and easy going compared to other places we lived.

But of course, you don't want to live where you're not happy for any reason.
It is national politics are making them feel uneasy living there.
They are very pleasant, low-key people and their neighborhood is $1-3 million dollar homes, mostly retired people

We live 3 hours from them in Charlotte and don't have the same feeling at all. Our neighborhood is middle class in price, no country club, no one talks politics here, probably less than half are retired.

We had a bad experience in Florida in community of retired owners. They had way too much time and spent too much HOA money on personal projects, quite aggressive if you did not agree with their actions. We are glad not to be there now, politics would be very bad there if you weren't on their side.

Old 02-29-2024, 05:58 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
We had a bad experience in Florida in community of retired owners. They had way too much time and spent too much HOA money on personal projects, quite aggressive if you did not agree with their actions. We are glad not to be there now, politics would be very bad there if you weren't on their side.
I can relate. This bunch sounds very much like the HOA Board where I lived briefly, domineering and unpleasant, bestowing favoritism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living