Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2023, 08:11 AM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The problem is, the cost of repairing a CVT. Most of them don't really shift. The pretend to, so the driver will be happy, but they don't really shift.
You want a distinct shifting sensation from an automatic? Makes no difference to me. IMO the CVT is quite smooth, no complaints here the few times I've driven my wife's new Subaru.

I've heard that once a CVT goes out you must get an entirely new transmission at a high cost. This seems like a big drawback for those who plan to hold onto one of these vehicles indefinitely.

For new vs. used, it's never made any sense to me in JNU to buy new since the vast majority of driving is between two areas only 9 miles apart. So, the yearly mileage I accrue is around 3K. A well built old car could easily outlast me mechanically. An unsafe frame due to rust is possibly the greater concern.

A person can still buy a cheap beater around here and get many years of good service from it. Nevertheless most people drive fairly new cars simply because they want it and can afford one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2023, 05:45 PM

25,943 posts, read 22,094,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Private seller? What guarantees do you get with one?

At least dealerships have some. No guarantee usually translates into headaches.
You have it checked out by a familiar auto technician. The only headaches are those caused by people not understanding financing, dealers, warranties, interest rates, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I've bought my last 3 vehicles through a private seller and never had any issues.
I think this thing about used cars being a problem comes from the 1960s or 1970s when the quality of autos being made wasn't all that good, and is now used like an excuse to buy something new(er), sort of like when someone says they eat out at fast food joints because it is cheaper. Justification of making their decision whether it is true and tried or not.

Quote:
I always pay with cash.
We have been doing that since the early 80s, a BIG reason we became debt free a couple decades ago. We do buy used, very selectively, higher end vehicles always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
A lot of people that are good with their money including those that are wealthy, buy used cars with low miles and pay cash. Interest rates have no bearing on the deal. If you do your homework, buy the right vehicle and keep it for a while, you actually do not spend very much per year on vehicles.

I would do some homework if I were you. Nissan Altima's are not very good cars. You will have problems with it and almost undoubtedly will have to put a transmission in it if you keep it very long.
Right now we have 2007 Dodge Durango and a 2008 Ford Expedition, both loaded from the factory. We paid 8,000 cash for the 2007 when it was 8 years old and have put almost nothing in repairs, and the 2008 for $14,000 and have put nothing at all in it over the last 5 years. In KS, the sales tax is almost 10% on vehicles, and we have a horrendous personal property tax, so the savings amount to a HUGE amount.

Quality used has always worked for us, and most by-pass them bringing what they bring on the lot. We bought a 1994 Ford Club Wagon (very nice one) with 60,000 miles in 1998 and traded it for the 2008 Ford Expedition in 5 years ago (also used as tow vehicle for travel trailer).

I am currently looking to replace the Durango, but the reviews on the newer vehicles suck! My husband just does basic things like oil changes, so we have been lucky, or maybe just intense about getting our money's worth!

Old 09-29-2023, 06:46 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,836,154 times
Quote:
I haven’t been able to find any negative reviews like that. What’s your source?
I am your source. Years of experience in the used car business. At the dealer auctions, dealers leave the lane when an Altima rolls in. Just google Nissan Altima CVT transmission problems and you should find plenty of reading. It isn't just the transmissions though. They are just poor quality cheap built cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
Not always. A family member bought a new 2012 Altima & it’s still their daily driver. They keep up the maintenance.
And how many miles do they have on it? Every once in a while there is one of those unicorns that somehow manage to be a decent car, even the junkiest of junk cars have one decent one in the bunch from time to time. Overall statistically though, Altima's have a high transmission failure rate, blow head gaskets, and are generally poor quality. There is a reason they don't hold a very good resale value.

Old 09-29-2023, 08:23 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post

And how many miles do they have on it? Every once in a while there is one of those unicorns that somehow manage to be a decent car, even the junkiest of junk cars have one decent one in the bunch from time to time. Overall statistically though, Altima's have a high transmission failure rate, blow head gaskets, and are generally poor quality. There is a reason they don't hold a very good resale value.

I had a Plymouth Reliant K car like that, 192k miles on a rental car I bought from Avis.

But all of the repair costs because most people could not repair it correctly ...

Old 09-29-2023, 08:29 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
My friend and I are accountants. We were constantly talking about whether or not it was better to buy new or used. So, for the 20+ years, he would buy new and I would by cars with 60k miles and three years old and drive them until they died (major transmission or engine failure).

We learned one thing. If you buy the car and drive it forever, the difference is minimal. And in 2007, I bought my first new car for $14k and have been driving it since and I will hit 192k next month. I made my first AAA call yesterday in 16 years due to a flat tire ....

Old 09-29-2023, 10:54 AM

4,511 posts, read 2,656,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Please give an example of the 10x disparity, I would like to understand the model / reason for that much cost difference..
not 10 TIMES, 10 thousand dollars.

I have no trouble believing a three year old car would sell for 10,000 less than a new one, depending on the make model and year.

Old 09-29-2023, 10:58 AM

4,511 posts, read 2,656,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Y...
I've heard that once a CVT goes out you must get an entirely new transmission at a high cost. ....
That's basically the typical repair path for automatics these days, too. Of course you won't be getting a NEW CVT or auto trans, you'll be getting a reman, and your experience will vary according to the quality of the remanufacturing process. The idea of the repair guy who puts your transmission, or alternator, or power steering pump, or what have you, up on the bench and diagnoses and repairs it on a one-at-a-time basis basically only applies these days to collector vehicles. Or maybe ultra high cost exotics, which are out of scope for this discussion.

Old 09-29-2023, 11:00 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,836,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

We learned one thing. If you buy the car and drive it forever, the difference is minimal. And in 2007, I bought my first new car for $14k and have been driving it since and I will hit 192k next month. I made my first AAA call yesterday in 16 years due to a flat tire ....
That is the key though. You have to buy the right new car, it has to be reliable and you have to keep it. If you keep them 20 years and don't have a lot of expensive repairs, over time it averages the upfront cost difference out to where you don't have a huge percentage difference in cost of ownership.

On the other hand, I know people that buy new and trade them in every 3 or 4 years. They don't actually own any vehicles in the end. I have a friend that does this and I have bought vehicles and kept them and I own around $150,000 worth of vehicles. He has bought new and traded them in every few years and currently has two he bought in the past 3 years that he doesn't even have any equity in and quite possibly is negative.

Old 09-30-2023, 11:34 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
not 10 TIMES, 10 thousand dollars.

I have no trouble believing a three year old car would sell for 10,000 less than a new one, depending on the make model and year.
Note the correction here https://www.city-data.com/forum/65877728-post13.html

10x was supposed to be 10K.

30%+ is a pretty large discount for 3 yrs and a strong used car market ($25k original cost)

I would wonder why. (But I don't do CVT, so an Altima is not on my radar)
Certainly not on my wish list.
Definitely never on my ownership list.

Old 10-01-2023, 04:43 PM

25,943 posts, read 22,094,372 times
In my continuing search for a newer vehicle, nearly every review I read on SUVs and minivans points to bad transmissions, which lead to very serious issues on the road! I have also read reviews where vehicles were spending more time in the shop than on the road. Remember the parts shortages? I am not sure we are entirely past that yet either.

My dad used to buy new cars when I was a kid. Whenever there were issues, it seemed that they could only be corrected after the warranty ran out. Many times after he spoke with them though, they did cover it, but that was the olden days when businesses were so much different.

Really, if you don't have cash and pay $300 - $500+ a month for payments only to trade it when or before it is paid off, I see no way that one could ever get ahead. I think it is more of a status thing than a need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living