Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2024, 11:32 PM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Respectfully disagree. Depending on the age group the OP desires, most women IMO would rather have someone who has less savings and date someone who actually spends money on travel, experiences, and hobbies etc etc etc. Frugal men outnumber frugal women by a wide margin, especially the younger crowds.
Bingo. Women, in high demand, typically do not want frugal men. Even women with their own money, don't want frugal men. They want a provider: nice house, a nice car, travel, entertainment, experiences, restaurants, purses, cosmetic surgery, and shoes/clothes. "Happy wife, happy life."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
there are plenty of people who know how to be happy and enjoy life and yes have fun without "exotic travel" and yes without spending a lot of money.
The average personal debt for Americans begs to differ. Money is one of the main reasons for divorce. In general, a man impresses or attracts someone by what type of life he can give them, not by how cheap he can be.

Try proposing to a woman with a $1 engagement ring or taking her to McDonalds on the first date.

Relationships cost money, weddings cost money, kids cost money, housing costs money, college tuition costs money, etc.

Last edited by Rocko20; 03-04-2024 at 11:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2024, 12:04 AM

27,546 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Single guy here and all I do is save money. I'm frugal but also don't even find things I want to spend money on. I don't care about cars. I don't go out and drink at bars anymore. I have everything I want for my house. I don't buy clothes. My hobbies are cheap or free. Is this normal?
Most guys have physical urges that cause them to need to be with a woman.

And that usually leads to marriage and kids somewhere down the line.

So, I don’t know where you fall on that spectrum.

Old 03-05-2024, 06:40 AM

1,852 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
You don't get to say mind your own business, because you specifically asked for opinions.

I think he's talking about the mean-spiritedness coming from one of the other commenters. No need to assume he steals just because he doesn't buy a bunch of clothes like many women do.

Old 03-05-2024, 08:08 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I have friends like that, & through the years, I find it tougher and tougher to have fun with them.
Probably because, increasingly, "having fun with others" means spending tons of money. It didn't always. Friends used to just hang out at each others homes, maybe take turns cooking dinner for each other, going for walks, sitting in a park, etc. Now it's nothing but eating out, buying tickets to things, traveling places, having the right clothes for all these activities and, among people I know, constantly "gifting" each other stuff they don't need -- all of which is unnecessary to just be with people you like. The cost of friendship has risen. Now, in retirement, I've lost all my "free" social connections at work and find I HAVE to spend money just to get some human interaction! It's sad.

Old 03-05-2024, 10:22 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Single guy here and all I do is save money. I'm frugal but also don't even find things I want to spend money on. I don't care about cars. I don't go out and drink at bars anymore. I have everything I want for my house. I don't buy clothes. My hobbies are cheap or free. Is this normal?
Well, first, good for you! Sincerely!

But to answer the thread title, I am in the same boat but my husband and I retired four years ago, and I am now 70, so it is a different situation. The problem with us is that we had very little money for most of our working lives, but we managed to travel a great deal and were quite active, and now after being settled in our new retirement home in a new state, we have now done everything we want to do here, too, and we have no wish to travel. And so now that we finally have extra money to splurge, there is really nothing we want to spend it on!

But all that being said, as long as one has enough to pay one's bills and save for what is important to him or her, my advice is to enjoy life while you are still young enough and fit enough to enjoy it!

Well, if one or both of us doesn't end up in a nursing home before we die, at least a one charity will be happy when we die!

Old 03-05-2024, 10:30 AM

3,066 posts, read 1,679,170 times
I spend money as long as I have some saved, too. You can't take it with you. But I rarely buy clothes and jewelry anymore, and don't even purchase the music that I used to. But I still travel and like to do 'things', and I like to eat out, although restaurant experience isn't what it used to be. I guess the important thing to living 'stingy', is to still feel that you're really living - enjoying - life.

Old 03-05-2024, 01:26 PM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
For me, personally, a cruise would be my idea of a hellish vacation.

Call me a nature-oriented woman. My DH and are well-matched in our ideas of day trips and vacations...we prefer to walk on trails, be around ancient trees, canoe or kayak, and visit horticulture gardens than be around hordes of people gorging on all-you-can-eat food on cruises...(though some of the smaller river cruises with a small group of people and an educational focus that give you a taste of other cultures would be quite appealing).

Big ship cruises---heck no!!
You can do all those things, on a cruise. I hate staying all day on a boat and would not ever choose such a cruise. Cruising to me is always a way to get to different places, without having to change hotels and drive and all the transportation headaches. I am VERY nature oriented. We have snorkeled, scuba-dived, hiked, kayaked, tried all kinds of new native foods, visited some cool botanical sites, etc. All on cruises. You just have to pick the proper itinerary. My sister just returned from a NatGeo cruise to Belize. So many cool things they got to see and do!

Old 03-05-2024, 01:54 PM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
[quote=LittleDolphin;66491898]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I agree. People like him are too focus on saving and they might not be a fun to date. Their money means nothing to the dates if asked to split bills or go for a walk in the park, instead of a nice, exotic cruise.
I guess they match the best with another saving focused person, who would enjoy trips to Goodwill to buy clothes and eating only homemade meals.[/QUOTE

I guess some of us would prefer visits to wonderful state and national parks and cycling along pretty lanes to exotic cruises. Different stokes.

We do like to eat out sometimes, but usually not high end restaurants. We prefer smaller venues and ethnic foods. Some food trucks are excellent!

For me, personally, a cruise would be my idea of a hellish vacation.

Call me a nature-oriented woman. My DH and are well-matched in our ideas of day trips and vacations...we prefer to walk on trails, be around ancient trees, canoe or kayak, and visit horticulture gardens than be around hordes of people gorging on all-you-can-eat food on cruises...(though some of the smaller river cruises with a small group of people and an educational focus that give you a taste of other cultures would be quite appealing).

Big ship cruises---heck no!!
Mine, too. I watched a documentary on running a big cruise ship. The crew is made of completely awesome people who can handle anything. I admire them.

But trapped for weeks among hordes of noisy drunks?

Old 03-05-2024, 02:07 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
...we managed to travel a great deal and were quite active, and now after being settled in our new retirement home in a new state, we have done everything we want to do here, too, and we have no wish to travel...
I can't imagine not wanting to travel at all unless you actually dislike traveling. Even if you've been everywhere you wanted to go once, do you have no urge to go back again? And, if you've done the stuff you wanted to do in your new location, once is enough, and you have no desire to repeat that experience or can't find anything new to do? I'm just trying to understand your statement. If I had unlimited funds, I'd do nothing BUT travel!

Old 03-05-2024, 05:09 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

I can't imagine not wanting to travel at all unless you actually dislike traveling. Even if you've been everywhere you wanted to go once, do you have no urge to go back again? And, if you've done the stuff you wanted to do in your new location, once is enough, and you have no desire to repeat that experience or can't find anything new to do? I'm just trying to understand your statement. If I had unlimited funds, I'd do nothing BUT travel!
Nope, we have been to 39 states and Canada (BC, Ontario, and Quebec); and I have no desire to travel anywhere else due to the state the world is in now. Also, just to clear this up, we do NOT have "unlimited" funds, but we would be able to do ONE fairly luxurious things if we chose to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living