Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 05:26 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times

Advertisements

I wasn't implying that you have unlimited funds, lol, but it sounds like it's "the state of the world" disinclining you to travel. Thanks for explaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2024, 05:37 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Single guy here and all I do is save money. I'm frugal but also don't even find things I want to spend money on. I don't care about cars. I don't go out and drink at bars anymore. I have everything I want for my house. I don't buy clothes. My hobbies are cheap or free. Is this normal?
Ah hah, a self-declared enemy of the Consumptionistas. The madhouse of eCONomics is based on mass consumption of ephemeral goods and services, enriching all who can "skim" from it.
Frugalists make them weep, wail and gnash their teeth.

Old 03-08-2024, 03:23 PM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Ah hah, a self-declared enemy of the Consumptionistas. The madhouse of eCONomics is based on mass consumption of ephemeral goods and services, enriching all who can "skim" from it.
Frugalists make them weep, wail and gnash their teeth.
Is "frugalism" a word? If not, let's coin it now.

Imagine, if frugalism got widely adopted, a lot of the advertising business would be out of business...

Old 03-08-2024, 04:15 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Nope, we have been to 39 states and Canada (BC, Ontario, and Quebec); and I have no desire to travel anywhere else due to the state the world is in now. Also, just to clear this up, we do NOT have "unlimited" funds, but we would be able to do ONE fairly luxurious things if we chose to do that.
I traveled a lot during my career and not just to worksites. I also had the good fortune to live and work in some amazing places other people go to for their vacations. Of course, the world is full of amazing things, but there are only one or two places I'd love to visit in person. They are all extremely remote, unspoiled, and "exotic". Unfortunately, because they are, they're fragile. There are costs other than financial involved. I can't ignore the environmental cost they incur by hosting me. I start considering the energy costs, the pollution, carbon debt, and disturbance that will result and just can't. I don't need to snap my own photos to validate anything or brag "I was there!". I find myself satisfied to learn about and enjoy them vicariously through the films, photos, books and lectures of others.

Old 03-08-2024, 04:21 PM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post

Imagine, if frugalism got widely adopted, a lot of the advertising business would be out of business...
And even though I can't stand contemporary ads—-who would deal with the mass unemployment?

Old 03-08-2024, 06:51 PM

2,046 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Frugality?

I once spent some time reading through a self-sufficiency blog about a family who named themselves "The Frugalwoods".

I like it! I usually refer to myself as a frugalton or a frugalwood.

Looking at the thread title again "...Who doesn't know what to spend money on?"
How about...nothing? Our society is so geared toward SPEND SPEND SPEND it's often overlooked that you simply don't have to do that at all. I often go for weeks without buying anything beyond life necessities like food. I keep a running list of things I'm on the lookout for, say a certain book or some fabric for a craft project. I don't absolutely need them right now, and eventually I'll find what I'm looking for when I'm not expecting it, like a random yard sale or clearance rack.

Part of being frugal is being content with delayed gratification.

Old 03-08-2024, 11:29 PM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Frugality?
I had in mind a slightly-different connotation --
Frugality is the practice of being frugal in one's own life.
Frugalism would be the advocacy of frugality for society
(for the sake of the planet, and for peoples' peace of mind).

Old 03-09-2024, 06:04 PM

Frugalism will happen naturally when/if the system as we know it collapses entirely. Personally, I think it would be a good thing for society, like a wake up call.

Old 03-09-2024, 06:27 PM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
....include me out of your 'plans.'

Old 03-09-2024, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
....include me out of your 'plans.'
Whose 'plans'? Mine? People, and namely rabid consumers, are doing it to themselves. I've personally opted out of the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living