Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2024, 06:54 AM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretBartle View Post
so the question I still have is how do you feel about not tipping, if the service was bad?

No tip, and don't go back.
Let the owner/manager know WHY you are not returning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2024, 07:46 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
I would not have tipped and I would have asked to speak to the manager/owner right then.

Is it possible that this employee didn't understand you wanted a reflexology treatment and thought you wanted a regular foot massage?

I only went to a reflexologist once and that's all they did, no regular massages.

Old 03-06-2024, 08:16 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretBartle View Post
I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this question, but here goes:

So I go to a place that advertises Reflexology Foot Massage. I've read some books about reflexology, and I've had some massages, so I'm not a newbie at this.

The last time I want in, I got short-changed on the time - it's supposed to be a 40 minute massage, but it's really 25 minutes.
And it wasn't reflexology - it's a very soft running over the skin - more like how they pet their kitty-cat. It wasn't balanced, he skipped my right hand entirely, he left me alone for 6 minutes, and he missed almost all the reflex points.

Then he screamed "Tip! Tip! Tip!" after I just paid the posted price and did not leave a tip.
Very loudly I replied "No! It was a terrible massage". I admit to wanting the other patients to hear me - I was miffed that I paid good money to fell better, and I felt a whole lost worse than I did going in.

Since he didn't speak English, I don't think it would have done any good to tell him how to do a better job next time.

They rotate these people in and out every month or so, so I'm not concerned about getting him again, but lately, it seems like none of the therapists are any good and I've been to several different ones, so this is a general question, not just about that one guy.

I'm still not going to tip them if they are not very good, no matter what people here say, but I'm interested in what you have to say about this.
Don't those who are good at it usually work for themselves and build a client base? If the business is a revolving door for staff, there have to be reasons for that. Perhaps there is a massage school nearby where you can find someone competent who is just starting out, and stick with that person?

FWIW, and I'm not saying it is the case here, but there are a few possibilities why someone might do the soft running over the skin. Reiki work can involve that, and for some of us that do energy work it is an easy way to find points that need to be addressed. Also, people who have arthritis might have difficulty handling deeper massage, and even a twinge might signal to back off and work more gently. As another thought, different cultures have differences in the way things are done. That the therapist was a "he" and you female, he may have been running up against some engrained "you always treat a woman this way" difficulties, with no way to check things out because of the language barrier.

If the language barrier was so strong you couldn't communicate, the person distributing the workload did not do you any favors. The interchange between client and therapist is how the therapist can learn what areas to focus on. You also get a chance to say if things aren't going right at the time, rather than having to build resentment.

Old 03-06-2024, 01:38 PM

381 posts, read 278,864 times
to insure proper service? maybe it is maybe it is not BUT
bad service equals zero tip from me

Old 03-06-2024, 02:44 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
I've not been for years, but recently went to a MT in the spa at my gym to see if they could help me with some back pain. It was a decent massage but she talked almost nonstop throughout the treatment, something I really dislike.

It's okay to say "How's that? Is the pressure okay? Does that hurt?" or "I'd like you to turn over on your back now" or some such, but geeze this person just wouldn't shut up. Then I'm at the front counter forking over $130 and the clerk said "How much would you like to tip?" She made it sound like most people would go ahead and add $20 or $30, and it's very easy for her to just check that off on the charge screen. I declined to tip, however.

I'm not there for fluff-and-buff and gossip. I'm there for pain treatment. In truth, the massage probably helped a little bit, and I'd like another treatment, but I won't go back to that blabbermouth.

Maybe I'm overly demanding, because I went to massage school myself years ago, and we were trained to keep our mouths shut. When I was practicing, it was always my policy to only speak when spoken to, except when checking in as noted above.

And as for tips... I never demanded a tip, and I never expected a tip. If someone felt generous and wanted to tip me, that was very nice and kind of them but I certainly didn't feel entitled!

Old 03-07-2024, 01:26 PM

249 posts, read 332,034 times
You might check the credentials of the place. There are reflexology organizations that certify it. I understand what you are saying though. I would not tip for a massage on the feet and hands listed as reflexology. Reflexology is totally different. Check out https://reflexology-usa.org/directory/ Reflexology association of america.

Old 03-10-2024, 02:02 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,045,572 times
I would look for a better quality place, perhaps a day spa or wellness center.

Some of these massage places look awfully sketchy.

Old 03-11-2024, 08:32 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
In days of old, tips were an extra payment to show gratitude for excellent service.

But currently, yes, of course, tipping for poor service is probably normal.

So I would say, you are probably expected to tip for most things, including a crummy massage.

Old 03-11-2024, 08:33 AM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
In days of old, tips were an extra payment to show gratitude for excellent service.

But currently, yes, of course, tipping for poor service is probably normal.

So I would say, you are probably expected to tip for most things, including a crummy massage.
There's no such obligation.

Old 03-11-2024, 09:43 AM

24,478 posts, read 10,804,014 times
I really do not get it that there is a question and why OP apparently goes back there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living